Locked VENOM Movie (First Critics Reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take is that Hardy is channeling his tortured soul character in Warrior movie when he can be like his Mad Max character with alien powers.

definitely doing the Warrior accent

I guess you could swap it out for a quietly-boiling confident intensity (Mad Max) but that doesn't leave much room for contrast between the wise-cracking, always mocking something Venom. Venom is supposed to be the Brad Pitt to Eddie Brock's Edward Norton. He's a bodybuilder and an athlete sure, but he's supposed to be the failure that Venom likes to point at when it says "look at where you'd be without us"

That's why I like a version of Eddie Brock that can't make Tom Cruise witticisms while his Venom powers destroy people. He's mostly just scared. That's a great interpretation of the comics which always stressed Eddie Brock's conflicting feelings (he's the one who eventually winds up stopping Carnage by "sacrificing" himself)

What I'm trying to say is I want more movies whose villains are good guys possessed by something powerfully evil and wind up fighting everything awesomely while crying the whole time and whispering how sorry they are to everybody

I guess you could swap it out for a quietly-boiling confident intensity (Mad Max) but that doesn't leave much room for contrast between the wise-cracking, always mocking something Venom. Venom is supposed to be the Brad Pitt to Eddie Brock's Edward Norton. He's a bodybuilder and an athlete sure, but he's supposed to be the failure that Venom likes to point at when it says "look at where you'd be without us"

That's why I like a version of Eddie Brock that can't make Tom Cruise witticisms while his Venom powers destroy people. He's mostly just scared. That's a great interpretation of the comics which always stressed Eddie Brock's conflicting feelings (he's the one who eventually winds up stopping Carnage by "sacrificing" himself)

What I'm trying to say is I want more movies whose villains are good guys possessed by something powerfully evil and wind up fighting everything awesomely while crying the whole time and whispering how sorry they are to everybody
So you prefer Anthony Rumble "I'm an athlete not a fighter." Johnson than Cokehead Jones persona. Understandable. Easier to create internal conflict.

So you prefer Anthony Rumble "I'm an athlete not a fighter." Johnson than Cokehead Jones persona. Understandable. Easier to create internal conflict.

"why would we do that?"

yeah, I like that Eddie Brock

Man, I think Venom looks awesome. Can’t wait for this.

Also, is that Jean Ralphio’s sister from parks and rec? Lol

This definitely looks better than the absolute garbage that Marvel Studios shats out on a regular basis. I'm optimistic about this.

<mma4>

Last edited:
I hope this doesn't turn out to be shit. Will be nice to watch a superhero movie that isn't a cookie cutter disney movie.

There still remains the question mark on what personality the symbiote will have

13a

here's hoping it has a shred of a sense of humor

Good post
giphy.gif

I'm getting quite a strong "early blockbuster Nick Cage" vibe from Hardy in this, like he knows its likely a crappy film but is trying to make something of it with a larger than life performance relative to the blandness around him.

I have to point something negative about this out because I'm seeing flashbacks of his Bane character.
A villain should NOT have a high pitched voice! Eddie Brock's voice should be more masculine than that.
Tom Hardy is a good actor, but I'm questioning his ability to play villain roles.
We'll see........
I'll wait until the audience reviews come out before I see tthis one.

Sooo uhhh how does this symbiote have Spider-man powers without being attached to Spidey first?
Why is Eddie Brock in his 40's while the last Peter on screen is a teenager?

This is why i don't like live action comic book movies anymore.

Wtf so marvel isnt making this? Wont be watching this

Why does Venom's voice sound so familiar? I thought I was just forgetting that he sounded that way in the old cartoon but I went back and checked, doesn't match up. I can't place why his voice sounds so familiar. There's a character somewhere that sounds exactly like that.

Why does Venom's voice sound so familiar? I thought I was just forgetting that he sounded that way in the old cartoon but I went back and checked, doesn't match up. I can't place why his voice sounds so familiar. There's a character somewhere that sounds exactly like that.
Thats what I thought it was too, the animated series voice. I think its just used similar. Voice sounded good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back