Venice Mayor Luigi Brugnaro: "“If anyone runs into St Mark’s Square shouting ‘Allahu Akhbar’ . . .

deltapapha

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
. . . we will take him down. A year ago I said after four steps, now after three. I will say it in Venetian: ‘Ghe Sparemo’ (We will shoot him).”

wiki of the center-conservative Mayor:
Luigi Brugnaro

I would assume he is Roman Catholic but I have not been able to find information on what his religious leanings are. Here is an excerpt from his wiki: (needless to say I am a fan!)

"Brugnaro has attracted controversy via his banning of forty nine books about discrimination and or homosexuality from the city's schools, including a French Book on gay parenting entitled "Jean Has Two Mums", and in declaring that there will be no gay pride parade in Venice. Germane to these actions and statements he has engaged in a series of verbal back and forths with the entertainer and activist Elton John, who maintains a home in the city."

As someone who has done a fair amount of reading on the history of Venice (never been there), and as someone who shares the good mayor's outlook on things, I thought it was worthwhile to give him a shout out here.

op81fhd3cbiz.jpg

1dkohweiibiz.jpg

^btw this is from the 50s (long before liberals and any other such movement - back when conservatives ruled)..

this is in regards to your comment: "needless to say I am a fan!"
why even be a fan of a hater (in regards to his quotes about gays)?

op81fhd3cbiz.jpg

1dkohweiibiz.jpg

^btw this is from the 50s (long before liberals and any other such movement - back when conservatives ruled)..

this is in regards to your comment: "needless to say I am a fan!"
why even be a fan of a hater (in regards to his quotes about gays)?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. In this case, he's entirely correct: if you are dumb enough, under the present climate, to shout an Islamic war cry in a Western public place, you deserve to get shot dead.

Freedom of Speech does not include the freedom to shout, "Fire!" in a packed theator.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. In this case, he's entirely correct: if you are dumb enough, under the present climate, to shout an Islamic war cry in a Western public place, you deserve to get shot dead.

Freedom of Speech does not include the freedom to shout, "Fire!" in a packed theator.

I dont care about radical religious fanatics - they can shoot them all they want

my original comment was regarding intolerance regarding gays

Good on him, hopefully he follows through. Make it two steps, mate.

You can shout fire in a theater

You can shout fire in a theater

And if you shout fire in a theater when there is no fire, and people are killed or injured in the stampede to escape, you will face criminal charges.

Again, if you are fucking dumb enough to shout a terrorist's slogan in ublic place, in a Western city, you deserve everything you get.

I would chuckle if white-guilt Italian protesters show up on the mayor's doorstep chanting Allah Ackbar in "solidarity".

I dont care about radical religious fanatics - they can shoot them all they want

my original comment was regarding intolerance regarding gays

Fair enough. Hence my comment about broken clocks.

What if someone threatened to assassinate the president? As far as I'm aware, that's not protected by free speech. Indeed, I believe it's a Federal offence, even if you have no intention of carrying out your threat.

Freedom of speech has limits. In this case the mayor of Venice has set out what limits apply in his city. Anyone dumb enough to push their luck deserves to get shot.

What if someone threatened to assassinate the president? As far as I'm aware, that's not protected by free speech. Indeed, I believe it's a Federal offence, even if you have no intention of carrying out your threat.

Freedom of speech has limits. In this case the mayor of Venice has set out what limits apply in his city. Anyone dumb enough to push their luck deserves to get shot.
You can't threaten the president. You can't say to kill someone if there is someone with you that could them. You can sing fire at the top of your lungs in a crowded room.

You can't threaten the president. You can't say to kill someone if there is someone with you that could them. You can sing fire at the top of your lungs in a crowded room.

Which proves that freedom of speech always comes with limits. There is no absolute freedom of speech, or we'd all be able to shout racist slurs at the top of our voices and threaten to kill any politician we didn't like. The only thing that is in dispute is where the line is drawn. In this case, the mayor of Venice has made it perfectly clear. And anyone who crosses that line deserves whatever they get. In the same way I would have no sympathy for anyone who walked down the street in Saudi drinking beer and shouting, "Mohammed was a Pedo and sucks pig's cocks in Hell!"

Which proves that freedom of speech always comes with limits. There is no absolute freedom of speech, or we'd all be able to shout racist slurs at the top of our voices and threaten to kill any politician we didn't like. The only thing that is in dispute is where the line is drawn. In this case, the mayor of Venice has made it perfectly clear. And anyone who crosses that line deserves whatever they get. In the same way I would have no sympathy for anyone who walked down the street in Saudi drinking beer and shouting, "Mohammed was a Pedo and sucks pig's cocks in Hell!"
Wel this isn't America we're talking about

Back