Vanishing Point (1971) is THE best driving movie of all time. An existential work of art.

Agent Mulder's Hair

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Lol this movie is crazy! Best driving scenes ever, hands down. Better than Ronin, better than the Bourne driving sequences, better than all driving sequences ever filmed. It's manly driving. No cgi, no trick editing, just balls to the wall driving frenzy.

Kowalski is the anti hero. Takes a bunch of speed and makes a bet he can drive from denver to san fran in like 1 day. Meets naked hippie chicks on motorcycles, gets chased by cops, and becomes a hero from a radio show host following his exploits.

And that ending. Holy crap! It's open to interpretation as to what it means. I won't spoil it but it's a huge wtf moment.

Anybody seen this?

Edit:

I've been reading up on Vanishing Point, because i can't articulate how truly unique it is. some interesting facts about it:

- Steven Spielberg names it as 1 of his favorite films.

- Death Proof also references the film by name repeatedly calling it "one of the best American movies ever made". The car in the film also has the license plate OA 5599.[16]

- Newman also thought that the entire film was an essay on existentialism. Kowalski drives to drive, with no real purpose for doing what he's doing. He decides to give his life its definition and meaning, with complete freedom over his actions.

- Sarafian explained that he wanted to make Kowalski appear otherworldly and that the world within the film was a temporary existence that he was just making a stop in. At the end of the film, he was ascending from this existence into another. The lyrics of the end song underscore this interpretation: "Nobody knows, nobody sees, till the light of life stops burning, till another soul goes free."

- The UK theatrical release of the film differs slightly from the US release in plot and running time. In the UK release, Kowalski picks up a mysterious hitchhiker (Charlotte Rampling) toward the end of the film. Kowalski accepts marijuana from her, despite refusing marijuana in several previous scenes. He stops the car when he starts feeling stoned. She says she has been "waiting for him, everywhere and since forever." When he awakens the next morning, she is gone without a trace. According to interviews with Barry Newman and commentary from the director, the hitchhiker was meant to be an allegorical figure representing death.[6]This scene was removed from the final US version, reducing the film from 105 minutes to 98 minutes. Newman felt that the scene gave the film "an allegorical lift" but the studio was afraid that the audience would not understand.[9][15]

This movie, u guys just need to watch this movie. It's a work of art. Seriously. I feel like i understand the post woodstock counterculture mentality of the time better now than i ever have before, because of this movie.

Last edited:
It's interesting in its way, but I don't think it's as fantastic as many others do. If Rush counts as a driving movie, it's much better in my opinion.

Nobody seen this?

We know Quentin Tarantino has. He wrote about five minutes of junk dialogue about it for Death Proof...

People should check it out, though. It certainly has had some influence.

We know Quentin Tarantino has. He wrote about five minutes of junk dialogue about it for Death Proof...

People should check it out, though. It certainly has had some influence.

Rly? Never saw all of death proof. That's cool though I'll see if i can find a clip.

And yeah dude this movie really struck a chord with me for some reason.

No CGI here ether

Lot of quick cuts though. That wasn't exactly bad or anything, but for u to throw that into a conversation about Vanishing Point, tells me for a fact that u have never seen Vanishing Point. Lol u should really check it out. I think it's up on YT for free. It's better than any other driving flick I've seen. For real.

Yeah it's a good one
I like the old mad max films too

Oddly enough it's hard to find much of the driving footage on youtube. This clip has a little of the stuff that I'm talking about though. There's no quick cuts or camera trickery. They just do this balls to the wall stuff and film it and u get to see everything clearly and it just looks and feels very different than any other driving movie. It's awesome

Last edited:
Better than Ronin

sanchez.gif

You've seen DEATH PROOF, right? I'm pretty sure VANISHING POINT is the reason there's a white car, plus I believe they used the same locations (and possibly a stuntman).

Everything this guy does looks like it was filmed in the sixties.

Kills me that I'm older than him, even though I know his stuff is recent.

You've seen DEATH PROOF, right? I'm pretty sure VANISHING POINT is the reason there's a white car, plus I believe they used the same locations (and possibly a stuntman).

Never saw it. Only bits and pieces of it. Doesn't surprise me that Tarantino would dig Vanishing Point though. It's right up his alley. It's just freakin awesome.

For whatever reason I've always found outlaws who do cool shit with a car to be particularly romantic.

Never saw it. Only bits and pieces of it. Doesn't surprise me that Tarantino would dig Vanishing Point though. It's right up his alley. It's just freakin awesome.
It's not for everyone, because there are long bouts between car action that tend to grate if you're not into the vibe. Tarantino purposefully made a grindhouse picture that's really light in substance when it comes to the non-drivey parts. Even some Tarantino fans can't stand the dialogue, which they feel is about nothing. And they're mostly correct in terms of story and content. There's precious little to hang on to. However, the mood and pacing of these scenes contribute and build towards culmination. You do start to feel a sense of impending doom. Sometimes the anticipation it undercut with oddly comedic moments, or random Tarantino oddities (READ: FOOT STUFF).

But finally? When the chase arrives? It's a goddamn animal. I'm sure you can youtube and, heh, cut to the chase, but you "rob" yourself of the build-up. Not everyone liked the build-up, so you wouldn't be alone in skipping it.

The only film trickery in vanishing point is that the challenger turned into a camaro right before .................

Check a sorry movie called "the driver" for some nailbiting driving.

"The 7ups" has some good stuff and even "short time" has a great chase.

Back