Van Damme's best movies that aren't "the hits"

I don't know if it counts as a hit or not but Cyborg is always underrated. Grim as fuck.

I'm not sure if this was a hit, but I rarely see it mentioned so I assume it wasn't:

jean-claude-van-damme-natasha-henstridge-maximum-risk-1996-EFABE1.jpg

I remember enjoying it, but I don't really remember much. Cyborg will always be my favorite, though.

I'm not sure if this was a hit, but I rarely see it mentioned so I assume it wasn't:

jean-claude-van-damme-natasha-henstridge-maximum-risk-1996-EFABE1.jpg

I remember enjoying it, but I don't really remember much. Cyborg will always be my favorite, though.

It definitely wasn't a hit stateside, grossing only $14 million. Apparently it did well in Europe.

Double Team and Knock Offs were his last good movies and those were box office failures.

LOL the fuck?

Wouldn't Van Damme realize he's in the shot? Furthermore, wouldn't be paying attention to the action?

I heard that even though Van Damme is credited as the director that another guy actually directed a significant portion of the movie. I wonder if that guy was directing this scene.
I would think another guy had to direct it since Van Damme seemed coked out of his mind during that time period. Also, that movie was really corny.

Even though it's one of the cheesiest, Cyborg is the first JCVD movie I ever saw and has the most especial place in my heart.

I actually watched it a couple weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Actually I watched it twice haha

cyborg33.jpg

Cyborg
Double Team
Hard Target
Maximum Risk
The Hard Corps
The Shepherd
Sudden Death

Pretty sure the others like Bloodsport, Kickboxer and Lionheart fall under "the hits".

Last edited:
The Quest is really good. It's like a more modern Bloodsport.

In Hell gets my vote. For sure not one of his hits and one of my favorites

also, sudden death is great considering it's not martial arts heavy

partly b/c Powers boothe kills it as the villain, but that's a genuinely exciting, well paced suspense movie
I remember when that movie came out. My two favorite things as a kid were hockey and VamDamme movies. I absolutley loved it and bought it on vhs.

No Retreat, No Surrender is amazingly bad. I love it.

Back