Valve's gonna compete with Blizzard's Hearthstone

loyalyolayal

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/08/valve-announces-artifact-a-dota-themed-digital-card-game/

Rather than wait until the end of The International, the major Dota 2 tournament taking place in Seattle all week, to announce major Dota news, Valve surprise-announced an entirely new video game on the event's second, early-rounds evening.

"It's not Half-Life 3," broadcaster Sean "Day9" Plott said, and he insisted that the game was not a re-release or a fine-tuning of an existing game à la Counter Strike: GO or Dota 2. Then, he introduced a vague, 35-second teaser video that prominently featured a triangular logo. It ended with the phrase: Artifact: The Dota Card Game, which Valve says will publicly launch sometime in 2018. (Technically, Plott wasn't lying, but gosh, did he come close.)

Sadly, Artifact's reveal was not followed with anything in the way of screenshots or gameplay. Instead, Plott described having played test versions of the game already, and his brief description hinted at a one-on-one digital card-battling game, like Hearthstone, only with a Dota-themed three-lane system and other Dota-like tweaks.

GG Half Life 3.

I thought Valve didn't make games any more. Do they even remember how to?

I thought Valve didn't make games any more. Do they even remember how to?
They're just shook because Hearthstone has been creeping up on the "Big 3" in eSports. It's firmly the 4th most popular eSport now, and is growing.

Gabe seems particularly defensive of that space. He clearly feels that PC gaming should own it.

Worst teaser ever? Literally zero information other than it is coming in 2018.

my reaction when they showed this during the stream

They're just shook because Hearthstone has been creeping up on the "Big 3" in eSports. It's firmly the 4th most popular eSport now, and is growing.

Gabe seems particularly defensive of that space. He clearly feels that PC gaming should own it.

Can you elaborate?

Valve releasing a digital card game based on DOTA 2 doesn't come off to me that way. It seems to me they're just jumping on the bandwagon and using one of their most popular IPs as the foundation.

My friend showed me a video where everyone was sad when they announced it was a card game.

Pretty funny all of the top companies just ripping off ideas from one another.

Probably a good time. I love Hearthstone but I'm afraid they are quickly painting themselves into a corner.

Valve wants in on that sweet, sweet in-game purchase money.

Habro and Wizards of the Coast completely fucked themselves by not pushing Magic the Gathering Online. It's probably the most complex and competitive card game ever created and arguably one of the best. Hearthstone looks like a game for kindergartners in comparison.

I played hearthstone for 5 minutes, fucking stupid game.

lmao fuck off with the crap card games. Only one better is the witcher card game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back