Valve Handheld: Steam Deck

Decided to buy one of these and ordered it today. I treated myself to the 512GB edition, and bought a few accessories off Amazon (A carrycase, docking station and some cases for the deck). Really only got into portable gaming recently when I took a new laptop on holiday and I loved having my steam library there with me. But got curious about the Steam Deck in the process so gonna take a look here. Everyone seems to love theirs

Ya it's great. I travel lots and it's a god send on long flights. The 512GB comes with a very nice carrying case I thought, not sure what you're upgrading to.

Decided to buy one of these and ordered it today. I treated myself to the 512GB edition, and bought a few accessories off Amazon (A carrycase, docking station and some cases for the deck). Really only got into portable gaming recently when I took a new laptop on holiday and I loved having my steam library there with me. But got curious about the Steam Deck in the process so gonna take a look here. Everyone seems to love theirs

You'll love it if you had a great time with the laptop. I expected to like the deck and play it during all my down time at work but I've ended up using it way more than I thought I would. I installed windows 10 though so I could get gamepass on it but even just using SteamOS it was impressive. Even "unsupported" games appeared to work just fine.

The most expensive model has a special display to help with reflections. From the reviews I've read it's not worth it and some people don't even like it. You can't add a screen protector to it either from what I read.

I did exactly what you are talking about doing. Got the cheapest model and upgraded to 1Tb. The only issue I had is removing the back panel was tougher then I thought. I didn't purchase the Ifixit kit which has a plastic piece to help with this. I just used a CC and it worked but I was still on the edge of my seat doing it. Also stripping the screws is easier then you would think. Make sure you have the right size tools. I would just purchase the ifixit kit for this whole thing before you do it.

I have the 512 model. I play a lot in my car, so I'm loving the anti-reflective screen.

@Dizzy what screen protector did you buy?

It's the best handheld I've ever bought, I enjoy it as much as much as any console/PC too, if not more so thanks to the portability of my Steam Library. If you're like most of us, you probably have a big backlog of Steam games. I tend to use my Deck for that.

I was watching a great series called Medici (Italian Renaissance bankers) so it reminded me that I never finished Assassin's Creed 2 and the Ezio trilogy. I'm playing AC2 currently, it's just perfect on the Deck.

Enjoy man, you're going to love it!

Got mine all set up and ready to go. Great first impressions, I didn't even want to touch until I got a case for it

20230120-201031.jpg

I have the 512 model. I play a lot in my car, so I'm loving the anti-reflective screen.

@Dizzy what screen protector did you buy?

It's the best handheld I've ever bought, I enjoy it as much as much as any console/PC too, if not more so thanks to the portability of my Steam Library. If you're like most of us, you probably have a big backlog of Steam games. I tend to use my Deck for that.

I was watching a great series called Medici (Italian Renaissance bankers) so it reminded me that I never finished Assassin's Creed 2 and the Ezio trilogy. I'm playing AC2 currently, it's just perfect on the Deck.

Enjoy man, you're going to love it!
I’m not sure, it was months ago.

I bought it for the SSD, the other features are just gravy. If I lose the antiglare it’s not a big deal, I’d be pretty pissed if I scratched it.

I didn't expect Cyberpunk to be so high, or run well at all. I never even bothered to try, but according to this guy's tests, it looks pretty good with FSR 2.1 support on medium settings. He gets an average of 43 FPS in the benchmark. I'm sure it looks even better on the small screen.

btw, the first 50 secs, he shows how you can skip the launcher.

Broke down and bought a Steam Deck. Was torn between a PSVR2 or the Steam Deck, and decided the Steam Deck would give me more value. The PSVR2 seems really great, but VR still seems like a fun distraction for a bit, where the SD will be handy at all times. Excited to see what this thing can do. Supposed to be here Friday and hoping the set up is easy since I take the kids to Judo for 2 hours and would be nice to get some games in while I wait.

Broke down and bought a Steam Deck. Was torn between a PSVR2 or the Steam Deck, and decided the Steam Deck would give me more value. The PSVR2 seems really great, but VR still seems like a fun distraction for a bit, where the SD will be handy at all times. Excited to see what this thing can do. Supposed to be here Friday and hoping the set up is easy since I take the kids to Judo for 2 hours and would be nice to get some games in while I wait.

Setup is easy on the deck. Updates and downloading a game will take the longest.

Got my Steam Deck on Friday, damn is this thing pretty. Wasn't sure what to play to give it a test spin so fired up RE2. Really impressive what the handheld can do. Next game I play is going to be RE4Remake and already have it pre ordered on Steam. It will be interesting to be able to play on PC and take it on the go while the kids are at judo.

Gives me hope that of Nintendo does another handheld follow up they can put some serious beef behind it.

Got my Steam Deck on Friday, damn is this thing pretty. Wasn't sure what to play to give it a test spin so fired up RE2. Really impressive what the handheld can do. Next game I play is going to be RE4Remake and already have it pre ordered on Steam. It will be interesting to be able to play on PC and take it on the go while the kids are at judo.

Gives me hope that of Nintendo does another handheld follow up they can put some serious beef behind it.

I think people should give up on the idea of Nintendo releasing a powerful console. They seem to be done with that and are comfortable operating in their own world. They've already proven they can not only survive but even prosper without much 3rd party support.

I think people should give up on the idea of Nintendo releasing a powerful console. They seem to be done with that and are comfortable operating in their own world. They've already proven they can not only survive but even prosper without much 3rd party support.

I don't need a powerful console from Nintendo, but feel like if they did a next gen Switch console with increased performance, it would be a great blend of Nintendo and performance we're getting out of the other consoles.

Games like MH:Rise and Age of Calamity only hit 30fps. I'd be super happy with Nintendo at that quality of game at 60fps.

ASUS steam deck competitor going to be a huge win. Could drive VR headset an is twice as powerful as Steam deck an screen resolution is twice as high.

ASUS steam deck competitor going to be a huge win. Could drive VR headset an is twice as powerful as Steam deck an screen resolution is twice as high.
Is there really a point in driving a VR headset (in home gaming) with a portable PC? Seems like a bit of a mismatch for me. I'm curious what the price is going to be, between not being able to sell at a loss as much as Valve, Windows license fees, and the panel, I'm guessing it's going to be closer to a $1,000. Then again the Z13 Flow is a loss leader and Asus is dropping touchpads here.

At any rate, good to see competition.

Is there really a point in driving a VR headset (in home gaming) with a portable PC?
The answer is no. No, there is no point to that whatsoever.

The answer is no. No, there is no point to that whatsoever.
I'm sure it will scratch someone's very niche Virtua Boy inch. I have a strong suspicion cloud gaming is going to be a major selling point for Asus here, but it's worth pointing out Windows OS means you can play Warzone and other games with anticheat.

Back