Value of the neutral stance?

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys

Was watching some Bazooka Joe videos and saw this clip about the 'neutral' stance:

I've personally never seen this stance used in MT. Rather, instead of stepping the lead foot back and side-shuffling, I was always told to push off my lead foot to get out of my opponent's striking range. Outside of switching stances, the only time I would step my lead foot back will be to avoid a low kick - even then, what was formally my lead foot will still be placed behind what was formally my rear foot. This is to ensure balance and to make countering easier.

Sherdoggers, what do you think is the value of this stance? When do you think it is best suited to be used? Instinctively, I can't help but think of how vulnerable standing full on like that is. But then again, this is Joe (an ex-Glory champion) so there must be some advantage of using this method over the more traditional way I've been doing it, right?

Thanks!

I don't think this is used prolonged, I'm seeing it more of a transitional point that lasts less than 1/2 a second. I'm guessing he calls it a stance for the sake of the video to explain it simpler so that beginners and newer practitioners can grasp easier.

The application I can see it used when when avoiding a low kick and immediately returning back to your stance while pressing forward to take advantage of your opponent's retraction, some I do use occasionally if I can't check

It's just a transitional position. Narrowing up your stance when moving laterally as to do it more easily, it's pretty basic stuff.

It's just a transitional position. Narrowing up your stance when moving laterally as to do it more easily, it's pretty basic stuff.

This. It's the same reason that most classes will get you side stepping a lot in class

thanks for the answers guy

except helping avoid leg kicks to the lead leg, what other benefit do you see in using this stance versus the more traditional in-and-out movement? do you think moving the leg backwards this way will help you avoid punches too?

thanks for the answers guy

except helping avoid leg kicks to the lead leg, what other benefit do you see in using this stance versus the more traditional in-and-out movement? do you think moving the leg backwards this way will help you avoid punches too?

Well at the moment you're thinking it as 'versus', instead of 'in addition to'.

In and out movement should be used in conjunction with a neutral stance, you move in traditionally, then you move out to a safe distance, usually no more than two steps backwards - then you can move laterally in a neutral stance and re-enter striking range back in your normal attacking stance. The exercise in that Valtellinni video will help you with that.

It's just a lateral movement exercise.

The functional version of the step is as your forward foot steps back your rear foot is already stepping to the side. You retreat, but also at the same time move laterally. It's part of a foorwork fundamentals regiment I still do 20 years since formal training and competing. Probably why he's teaching the basic concept in that clip.

a similar move is used in boxing, you back up a bit, square up, and bounce left/right on your feet, so you can cut either way quickly.

a similar move is used in boxing, you back up a bit, square up, and bounce left/right on your feet, so you can cut either way quickly.
something interesting i noticed about willie pep is that he would change leads to circle more quickly to his left.

Back