Usyk vs Joshua 2 August 20th

It's been a long time since a non-freakshow boxing card had me interested in more than just the main event <mma4>

In some ways, I'm actually more pumped for Filip Hrgovic vs Zhang Zhilei, than I am in Usyk vs Joshua 2...

"HRGA" is a -1000 favorite, and Ling Lang is a +550 underdog? <HisEye>
Fair enough, but I hope the fight will be closer than those lines suggest.

Also, my fellow countryman
(well I'm only 1/4 French, but I still got dat frog pride!)
Mathieu Beauderlique
Mathieu-Bauderlique-foudroye-des-le-1er-round-2.jpg

finally gets a chance to fight somewhere else than in France as a pro, it's a big deal for us!
Literally every single one of his 22 pro fights (going 21-1) took place in France.

It's the match of the night were I'm expecting the most fireworks
If you're interested in watching his sole pro defeat at the hands of the Italian Dragan Lepei, knock yourselves out, it's a sweet KO =>

Anyway, Mathieu is also a huge underdog, at +550 while Callum Smith is a -900 favorite.
I can't really make any kind of prediction, but I sure hope my fellow frog takes the upset KO! (he finished 5 of his last 6 fights)

Callum's last win over Castillo was also a brutal KO so I hope this one doesn't end in a decision either way

If this is going to be Mathieu's first pro fight outside France, on the other hand, he's traveled a LOT for his amateur boxing bouts... Italy, Russia, Brazil, Cuba, Bulgaria, Hungary....
Mathieu's amateur boxing career has been less impressive than his professional, but still decent, going 19-15 from 2009 to 2016. Still bagged himself an Olympic Bronze Medal though!
This sole Olympic experience (2016, Rio de Janeiro games) had him winning 2 fights before dropping a decision to Julio César de la Cruz , and there's no shame in losing to such an absolute amateur elite...
(some highlights there => )

It's too bad that most Frenchmen don't give a shit about boxing (that they call "Anglaise", as opposed to French boxing, aka "Boxe Française/Savate") <{hughesimpress}> but hey, it's a cultural thing.

Kickboxing & Muay Thai are veeery popular in France (I once made a thread about all the French Muay Thai champions in history, farangs are an interesting topic IMHO... long story short, "farangset" sounds like "Français" when pronounced by a Thai with heavy accent... ), even if Judo is still by far THE country's dearest martial art.

But boxing? More liek "boring" amirite?

As I was saying, t's a cultural thing, with the whole rivalry between France & England... better to be sports rivals than fight in bloody 100 years wars, I'll say <{JustBleed}>
"War only in the ring, peace on Earth"©Wanderlei Silva
"We are all one"©Genki Sudo

Anyway... aside from the last 3 bouts, any reasons to get pumped about some of the others?
I'm not really a (modern) boxing buff, I'm way more into MMA/KB/MT/Grappling, so I might be missing some potential gems there...

I'm gonna be honest, i didn't read your post.

It's been a long time since a non-freakshow boxing card had me interested in more than just the main event <mma4>

In some ways, I'm actually more pumped for Filip Hrgovic vs Zhang Zhilei, than I am in Usyk vs Joshua 2...

"HRGA" is a -1000 favorite, and Ling Lang is a +550 underdog? <HisEye>
Fair enough, but I hope the fight will be closer than those lines suggest.

Also, my fellow countryman
(well I'm only 1/4 French, but I still got dat frog pride!)
Mathieu Beauderlique
Mathieu-Bauderlique-foudroye-des-le-1er-round-2.jpg

finally gets a chance to fight somewhere else than in France as a pro, it's a big deal for us!
Literally every single one of his 22 pro fights (going 21-1) took place in France.

It's the match of the night were I'm expecting the most fireworks
If you're interested in watching his sole pro defeat at the hands of the Italian Dragan Lepei, knock yourselves out, it's a sweet KO =>

Anyway, Mathieu is also a huge underdog, at +550 while Callum Smith is a -900 favorite.
I can't really make any kind of prediction, but I sure hope my fellow frog takes the upset KO! (he finished 5 of his last 6 fights)

Callum's last win over Castillo was also a brutal KO so I hope this one doesn't end in a decision either way

If this is going to be Mathieu's first pro fight outside France, on the other hand, he's traveled a LOT for his amateur boxing bouts... Italy, Russia, Brazil, Cuba, Bulgaria, Hungary....
Mathieu's amateur boxing career has been less impressive than his professional, but still decent, going 19-15 from 2009 to 2016. Still bagged himself an Olympic Bronze Medal though!
This sole Olympic experience (2016, Rio de Janeiro games) had him winning 2 fights before dropping a decision to Julio César de la Cruz , and there's no shame in losing to such an absolute amateur elite...
(some highlights there => )

It's too bad that most Frenchmen don't give a shit about boxing (that they call "Anglaise", as opposed to French boxing, aka "Boxe Française/Savate") <{hughesimpress}> but hey, it's a cultural thing.

Kickboxing & Muay Thai are veeery popular in France (I once made a thread about all the French Muay Thai champions in history, farangs are an interesting topic IMHO... long story short, "farangset" sounds like "Français" when pronounced by a Thai with heavy accent... ), even if Judo is still by far THE country's dearest martial art.

But boxing? More liek "boring" amirite?

As I was saying, t's a cultural thing, with the whole rivalry between France & England... better to be sports rivals than fight in bloody 100 years wars, I'll say <{JustBleed}>
"War only in the ring, peace on Earth"©Wanderlei Silva
"We are all one"©Genki Sudo

Anyway... aside from the last 3 bouts, any reasons to get pumped about some of the others?
I'm not really a (modern) boxing buff, I'm way more into MMA/KB/MT/Grappling, so I might be missing some potential gems there...

your boy’s getting knocked out!

Close this thread. There's always a bunch of people who don't see the sticky.

Got it. Will unlock after fight for discission.. RBR is the VERY top thread in Boxing.

AJ had his best round of both fights in the 9th tonight but then had one of the worst rounds of his career in the 10th.

Rd 9 was more fluff than substance. Kinda like when Maidana had Mayweather against the ropes and was throwing, most of the stuff AJ was throwing missed and he just used momentum/size to bully Usyk around a bit by being active. It's what led to him gassing out and looking so bad in the 10th as well.

Rd 9 was more fluff than substance. Kinda like when Maidana had Mayweather against the ropes and was throwing, most of the stuff AJ was throwing missed and he just used momentum/size to bully Usyk around a bit by being active. It's what led to him gassing out and looking so bad in the 10th as well.
after rewatching round 9, Usyk was hurt at one point but he blocked most of AJ flurries. Makes me wonder if he played possum to get AJ gassed.

Video of the Wilson - Tabiti fight:

About what I expected. More proof that social media highlights of bag work, drills, or sparring means 0. Huge props though for getting into the ring at this level. Glad the dude has other things going for him and success outside of this.

About what I expected. More proof that social media highlights of bag work, drills, or sparring means 0. Huge props though for getting into the ring at this level. Glad the dude has other things going for him and success outside of this.
Exactly man, way too big of a step-up, but in his defence: (read his caption)

Back