Usyk’s even more accomplished than we thought

Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Threat Actor
@Silver
Reaction score
After doing a little research I just discovered something interesting. We've never had a fighter in men's boxing hold World & Olympic titles as an amateur and then go on to become undisputed as a professional. Usyk is the only guy to ever do it. The World Championships were inaugurated in 1974 so this achievement spans the last 50 years of boxing. That's a half-century. Some of the other greats, like Pernell Whitaker, came close but he had to settle for silver at the Worlds. Lomachenko was also very close recently. He would've done it had the Haney decision gone his way.

As an amateur World & Olympic champion, Fighter of the Year (2018), World Boxing Super Series tournament winner (Ali Trophy recipient), and a two-division undisputed champion in the pros, Usyk is one of the most decorated boxers of all-time. There's nothing left for him to win except perhaps Fighter of the Decade. He's reached the pinnacle of both versions of the sport despite turning pro so late.

The full list of undisputed champs is below. It covers the two, three & four-belt eras. I've already verified this but you can independently check their senior level amateur credentials. As you'd expect some of the other undisputed champs dating back to 1974 have won either an Olympic or World title as an amateur—but not both.

List of undisputed world boxing champions

After doing a little research I just discovered something interesting. We've never had a fighter in men's boxing hold World & Olympic titles as an amateur and then go on to become undisputed as a professional. Usyk is the only guy to ever do it. The World Championships were inaugurated in 1974 so this achievement spans the last 50 years of boxing. That's a half-century. Some of the other greats, like Pernell Whitaker, came close but he had to settle for silver at the Worlds. Lomachenko was also very close recently. He would've done it had the Haney decision gone his way.

As an amateur World & Olympic champion, Fighter of the Year (2018), World Boxing Super Series tournament winner (Ali Trophy recipient), and a two-division undisputed champion in the pros, Usyk is one of the most decorated boxers of all-time. There's nothing left for him to win except perhaps Fighter of the Decade. He's reached the pinnacle of both versions of the sport despite turning pro so late.

The full list of undisputed champs is below. It covers the two, three & four-belt eras. I've already verified this but you can independently check their senior level amateur credentials. As you'd expect some of the other undisputed champs dating back to 1974 have won either an Olympic or World title as an amateur—but not both.

Joe Louis defended his belt like 25 times for 12 years straight?
Usyk has alot more to accomplish if we're gonna start talking "There nothing left to accomplish."

Usyk has alot more to accomplish if we're gonna start talking "There nothing left to accomplish."
Is it just me or the vast majority of boxers today when asked what they want next will answer “I wanna rest”, “I wanna go home” or “I need some vacation”? Talk about boring.

Inoue is the only one who consistently goes “Bring me the next guy”. You gotta respect that.

He and Inoue have accomplishments that gap the rest a ton.

He actually doesn't. Usyk had a perfect career. (so far), and so did Joe Louis. Both had illustrious careers.

The rest falls into the realm of subjectivity. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both are great yet different and both achieved the pinnacle of success.

There are things Joe Louis has done that Usyk hasn't, but the opposite is also true.

how many belts was Louis defending?

Its simply not possible to not only fight that many times in todays climate, it wouldnt be allowed by the governing bodies and sanctioning people, boxing was a lot different back then and to ignore that is complete ignorance on your part

Thats pretty impressive & great find!
The dude will never get the credit he deserves.
it is quite odd. We have had modern heavies being labelled the GOAT prematurely. Usyk's record has outclassed them all and it still seems he is being unvalued. Historically boxing fans tend to look down on Cruisers moving up.

The Eastern Europeans have a huge advantage in this area because they approach their amateur careers as though it was their full time profession pretty much. That’s why they’re already fighting for world titles 4-5 fights into their professional careers. A few young and talented American boxers should take a page from them and keep fighting amateur well into their twenties and focus on world championships and Olympic gold. It will make them much better professionals. The fact that an American man hasn’t won an Olympic gold medal in boxing in 20 yrs should be downright scandalous.

it is quite odd. We have had modern heavies being labelled the GOAT prematurely. Usyk's record has outclassed them all and it still seems he is being unvalued. Historically boxing fans tend to look down on Cruisers moving up.
Yeah certain guys just seem more marketable and idolized by Western culture.

I hope for his sake he is a mega star or something in EuroRussia & Asia or something.

how many belts was Louis defending?

Its simply not possible to not only fight that many times in todays climate, it wouldnt be allowed by the governing bodies and sanctioning people, boxing was a lot different back then and to ignore that is complete ignorance on your part

Joe was 27-1 in Championship fights.
Usyk is 23-0 in his entire pro career.

Come on with this shit.
You guys did the same thing with Loma.
We just wiping away giant legacies now?

Last edited:
Some tried to claim that he was celebrating the "Islamic new year"... which doesn't start until July.

Reality: He was concussed.
I was looking into it and Usyk mentioned he missed Happy New Year training for the fight. Maybe Fury was trying to be supportive of that fact and seemed a little out of context.

If that's not the reason or he can't explain it I think he needs an MRI. The KD was actually nasty looking and he incurred added injury being held up by the ropes. The ref could not intervene until it looked like his legs were gone. The show boating also indicated he was willing to lower his guard which potentially raised other issues in the refs mind.

Last edited:
That alone makes him a contender for most accomplished boxer of (at least) the last 25 years.

I'm starting to think he wasn't 'incidentally' born on Janurary 17th lol

I think what surprises me about Usyk is that he is legitimately undefeated against tough opposition with no bullshit clauses or cherry picking, no Floyd bullshit (who lost vs castillo anyway) the guy went to the other fighter’s stadiums and beat them there.

so two cleared divisons, world amateur and gold medal, ring and lineal titles and now the useless p4p #1…

I don’t know if there’s ever been anything remotely similar to what he has achieved

Joe was 27-1 in Championship fights.
Usyk is 23-0 in his entire pro career.

Come on with this shit.
You guys did the same thing with Loma.
We just wiping away giant legacies now?
Usyk's pro career has been undeniably better than Loma's.

I agree though you can't erase or compare it to other era's greats or historical figures. But we have to at least give Usyk ATG HW post Lennox Lewis Tyson Evander era.
Seems like everyone is comfortable with him uprooting Vitali &Wlad.

Usyk is 37 years old and fights once per year. How many title defenses do you really think he's going to be able to manage before retirement? It's also an apples to oranges comparison. Usyk's career spans two divisions with the majority at cruiserweight. He also turned pro very late. Joe Louis didn't turn pro late and he campaigned in the same division his entire career.

Back