Using Philly shell/ shoulder roll in kickboxing and mma?

I think you think people on here think they can have the rear hand up, lead hand down, feet planted, chin tucked into the lead shoulder, moving around slipping, weaving and absorbing on the shoulder/arm their opponents kicks, which when you put it that way, is completely ridiculous.

Isn't that what we're talking about? Isn't that the Philly shell? That's why I say TMA's blade stance work (with some adaptation), Philly shell doesn't...
The title of the thread is Philly shell plus shoulder rolling...So what you describe is exactly what i have in mind, and exactly what i am against...

Last edited:
It depends.

Cons

- The Philly Shell opens you up to kicks/knees.
- More difficult to pivot when throwing ones own kicks back, particularly when it's reactive.

Pros

- Could be used to defend takedowns easier, due to allowing the ease of underhooks.

I think Bobby Green is the only name that I can think of that uses a purer version of Philly Shell (in MMA terms) successfully. Again it all depends on the practitioner, I hate to give blanket statements saying "it does/doesn't work." There's a lot of factors in play. Different things work for difference body types, athleticism, abilities etc..

Back