Uriah fights like a point fighter

Dont know what Ts is talking about whatsoever, but worse, I couldnt fathom what anyone saw in Dylan. He looked quite dreadful up until this point. Winning against worse fighters doesnt drive me to beleive any hype. In this fight he was all defense. Nice guy, but not a good fighter. Uriah took his time with him, possibly because of jitters.

Also, WHO is coaching the next TUF? I thought it was Miesha and Cat? Looks like they are fighting on this card instead and honestly, I like the card a shit ton more now.

Dont know what Ts is talking about whatsoever, but worse, I couldnt fathom what anyone saw in Dylan. He looked quite dreadful up until this point. Winning against worse fighters doesnt drive me to beleive any hype. In this fight he was all defense. Nice guy, but not a good fighter. Uriah took his time with him, possibly because of jitters.

Also, WHO is coaching the next TUF? I thought it was Miesha and Cat? Looks like they are fighting on this card instead and honestly, I like the card a shit ton more now.

Ronda Rousey and the winner of Miesha/Cat is coaching the next season of TUF.

I think you all are missing TS's point, no pun intended. He's not knocking Uriah's approach or insinuating that he doesn't go for the finish; of course he does. He's simply stating that he fights like a guy who is competing in a point fighting competition, which makes sense seeing as he's competed extensively in point fighting tournaments. It's not simply a matter of counter striking, bobbing and weaving, moving in and moving out like a typical boxer or kickboxer. There's a difference in the style of footwork, body movement, setups and distance management. Machida also fights like a point fighter, and I don't think I need to explain how his striking approach differs from the average fighter. Stephen Thompson and Michael Page, who is one of the sport's most electrifying strikers and a future superstar, fight similarly as well. All of these dudes have a deeply ingrained TMA background and they fight accordingly. It makes sense because they came up fighting that way and we're beginning to see that, when you combine certain facets of those traditional techniques with modern disciplines, it's an incredibly effective style.

There are drawbacks to that style if you rely upon it exclusively and I believe that's what TS means when he suggests that this could bite Uriah in the ass later. Because there's no clinching, these guys often don't learn or thoroughly practice infighting techniques as they come up. Guys with counter striking styles who come up with a traditional boxing background do learn how to trade, defend and counter in the pocket because those are scenarios that absolutely will present themselves in the boxing ring. We saw what happened with Stephen Thompson when he fought a guy in Matt Brown, who invaded his personal space, clinched with him and generally made his life uncomfortable. Conversely, Machida has trained extensively in Greco, Sumo and Judo in order to thwart his opponents' clinch attempts, which is precisely what makes him such a difficult opponent to fight. Uriah seems to be more comfortable in these situations than Wonderboy was but it remains a concern. He keeps his head up a bit while exiting exchanges and his upright style can leave him susceptible to the TD against an opponent who can advance into close range.

Bubba tried to invade his personal space.
Andrews tried.

I sort of get what you are saying. If he didn't have such ridiculous power he'd go to a ton of decisions b/c he doesn't swarm and go crazy like you see some guys do. He has a very measured approach as far as I can tell, but knows when to go for the kill when necessary.

All I know is that dude must hit really really hard. KO and break a dudes orbital with a single punch. Then turn a dudes face to mush with the jab and finish him from the bottom.

His power reminds me of the impression I had watching Manuwa against Kingsbury and Glover Teixeira against Maldonado.
You feel incredible power in each of his shots.
THe simple uppercut or hook, even the jabs, everythings looks so powerful.

TS would have avoided alot of hate if he just said that Hall fights like his kickboxing is based on full contact karate.

Utter nonsense. Troll trying to get a rise out of ppl

Frankie Edgar throws combos, and is a point fighter

Relax dudes. This is not trolling and there is no need to get offended by the suggestion. He fights like a karate point fighter who contains crazy amounts of power. Watch his karate youtube videos... its the same style (and he still devastates people), but it is a "point fighting style".

I know, I think these people are confusing karate point fighting with stallin and hoping for a decision. he actually does fight like a point fighter like michael page, all this means is he came from a karate point fighting background (so his style reflects it) which i fun to watch, it doesnt mean he is fighting for points on the judges score card

I think you all are missing TS's point, no pun intended. He's not knocking Uriah's approach or insinuating that he doesn't go for the finish; of course he does. He's simply stating that he fights like a guy who is competing in a point fighting competition, which makes sense seeing as he's competed extensively in point fighting tournaments. It's not simply a matter of counter striking, bobbing and weaving, moving in and moving out like a typical boxer or kickboxer. There's a difference in the style of footwork, body movement, setups and distance management. Machida also fights like a point fighter, and I don't think I need to explain how his striking approach differs from the average fighter. Stephen Thompson and Michael Page, who is one of the sport's most electrifying strikers and a future superstar, fight similarly as well. All of these dudes have a deeply ingrained TMA background and they fight accordingly. It makes sense because they came up fighting that way and we're beginning to see that, when you combine certain facets of those traditional techniques with modern disciplines, it's an incredibly effective style.

There are drawbacks to that style if you rely upon it exclusively and I believe that's what TS means when he suggests that this could bite Uriah in the ass later. Because there's no clinching, these guys often don't learn or thoroughly practice infighting techniques as they come up. Guys with counter striking styles who come up with a traditional boxing background do learn how to trade, defend and counter in the pocket because those are scenarios that absolutely will present themselves in the boxing ring. We saw what happened with Stephen Thompson when he fought a guy in Matt Brown, who invaded his personal space, clinched with him and generally made his life uncomfortable. Conversely, Machida has trained extensively in Greco, Sumo and Judo in order to thwart his opponents' clinch attempts, which is precisely what makes him such a difficult opponent to fight. Uriah seems to be more comfortable in these situations than Wonderboy was but it remains a concern. He keeps his head up a bit while exiting exchanges and his upright style can leave him susceptible to the TD against an opponent who can advance into close range.

Yea that's pretty much exactly what I was trying to communicate. Thanks for eloquently expanding that.

I know, I think these people are confusing karate point fighting with stallin and hoping for a decision. he actually does fight like a point fighter like michael page, all this means is he came from a karate point fighting background (so his style reflects it) which i fun to watch, it doesnt mean he is fighting for points on the judges score card

Exactly, and it's by no means a knock on his style. That man has clearly adapted his style to become truly lethal in the cage.

Everyone saw 'point fighter' and came to call you a troll without understanding the context of what you we're trying to say. Gosh, I love this place.

To be fair it would be like a guy starting a thread called "Uriah is like a lay and prayer" and expect people to understand he was talking about Uriah being patient and reserved like a priest. I got what he was trying to say, but he probably shouldn't have used the term point fighter, which carries with it a whole host of negative connotations.

Everyone saw 'point fighter' and came to call you a troll without understanding the context of what you we're trying to say. Gosh, I love this place.

It's up to the TS to convey himself clearly and concisely. I'm not translating the garbage he's saying, that's his job. Point fighting is not about not throwing combo's, nor is it about throwing spinning back kicks to the face. It's about fighting defensively with little to no engagement, dam near the opposite of what Uriah does. But hey if you want to read the OP 4 times to try and find a valid point go ahead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zygmunt
Back