Understand the Poatan Problem

Where did I say it was?

This thread is obviously an attempt to smear Alex because you don't like that there's no good wrestlers in the division.

Like @HHJ said... he's been taken down and he always gets back to his feet sir.

Im not trying to be an asshole to you, I just don't see how it changes the division.

You write clearly for an illiterate. Are you using voice to text? Show me where I said Tim Sylvia and you don’t get called illiterate with your super twisted propaganda bullshit.
You said he's a big guy with knockout power. That's the same as previous Heavyweight Champion. I don't know why you think it's a negative aspect to their mma base skills. Tim shocked the world with his size and reach. Alex does the same and also won a belt like Tim.

This thread is obviously an attempt to smear Alex because you don't like that there's no good wrestlers in the division.

Like @HHJ said... he's been taken down and he always gets back to his feet sir.

Im not trying to be an asshole to you, I just don't see how it changes the division.
I’m not smearing Alex. Im objectively demonstrating the resume difference between him and the great peers that people and pundits are seeking to place him in league. I’m doing this to demonstrate a lack of depth in grappling adversity both in his career thus far and in the light heavyweight division. No smear, just objectivity.

You said he's a big guy with knockout power. That's the same as previous Heavyweight Champion. I don't know why you think it's a negative aspect to their mma base skills. Tim shocked the world with his size and reach. Alex does the same and also won a belt like Tim.
So you, who just accused me of comparing Alex to Tim Sylvia and said I should be double to triple yellow carded for doing so, are now doing exactly what you said I did.

fantastic. Ty.

Poatan is awesome but he's still a beneficiary of the lowest talent at LHW and MW in a decade. He wouldn't be top 5 at MW or LHW 10 years ago and would have hard time winning two in a row if faced with top 10 guys consistently.

I’m not smearing Alex. Im objectively demonstrating the resume difference between him and the great peers that people and pundits are seeking to place him in league. I’m doing this to demonstrate a lack of depth in grappling adversity both in his career thus far and in the light heavyweight division. No smear, just objectivity.
Why don't we wait until he's done, and then place him where he's earned.

I don’t play video games so I have no idea what the later portion of this this statement is about.

Which great wrestler grappler that I named is a crotch sniffer?

I haven’t said a single insulting thing about Alex. I think the animosity is clearly about wrestling grappling primarily as you’re saying I’m wishful of a crotch sniffer to hold him down.

I’ve named Khabib, DC, Jones, Barnett, Couture, Fedor and Noguiera. Those are crotch sniffers?
Unrealistic video game like performances with one punch KO’s. It’s like playing the UFC game and flatlining champs in multiple divisions like it’s nothing but it’s happening in real life for us to see, live on PPV.

Also, I just can’t understand your logic in these weird hypotheticals against guys long retired or in different divisions. Why? Why do you need to come up with this to discredit him instead of just enjoying his run. Shut up and enjoy it, it’s awesome. There’s a real chance he faces Jones at HW, albeit small.

Alex beat everybody in front of him including multiple champions, most in highlight reel fashion. I don’t get why he doesn’t get more credit. You can dream up all the hypotheticals you want but he’s beaten everybody. Lots of good champs were champs in weak divisions and still get their credit and I think Alex should too. I don’t hear anyone shitting on Stipe, Francis or Mighty Mouse for being champs in weak divisions.

I just find this idea strange. LHW is not missing a star, the star is there right now with a belt on his waist. The division isn’t as bad as some say it is. There’s still interesting fights to be made.

I don't even mean in terms of rules, if you don't know how to grapple in MMA you end up with all-time embarrassing performances like Despaigne just had. I still contend it is the most important aspect of the game.
I know what you mean, but we can switch that logic and point to Askren as well, no?
It is best to have all areas covered, obviously, but if a skillset works well enough despite a hole, then it just works. I mean, everyone says Alex can’t wrestle, so let them exploit this weakness if they can. He fights every 4 months, lots of opportunities.

Here’s the deal, rarely would I ever say a division is weaker than it once was. However, at light heavyweight this has long been the case. Ever since DC and Jones bounced, there has not been any talent to rival their skills.

In fact, this one of the weakest LHW classes of all time in wrestling. At least Chuck Liddel had to topple Randy Couture to hold title and of lesser significance Tito Ortiz. We don’t even have a wrestler of the quality of Randy Couture at light heavyweight anymore.

This is why when I say Poatan is not proven and sounds like a bluff talking about beating Jones or Aspinall at HW. Jiri took him down no problem and probably won round one coming off a long injury lay off and fighting with apparent ring rust. He’s a very big man, sure, but he’s not a great wrestler at all.

So let’s talk if you disagree about what you possibly could support your perspective with other than hope.

You are an imecile.

Alex has beaten multiple Champions, and is a two-division Champion, after being a two-division champion in Glory Kickboxing.

In point of fact, you ignorant simpleton fug, Alex is a "more proven" Champion than anyone else currently in the UFC.

It’s so weird to see fans complain some mythical GOAT doesn’t exist to crush the champ. It’s even weirder when that champ is everything fans should want in a fighter. He’s incredibly violent, a likeable guy, fights often and has an unbelievable highlight reel. Why do you guys want to see some crotch sniffer dry hump him for 25 minutes so bad?

The just bleed gods sent us a fighter straight out of our career modes of the ufc video game, with god tier power to crush everybody and some people are mad about it. Alex bless.

the kind of people that att were adamant that the jab doesn't work in mma.

Wrestling isn't MMA. People have a really hard time grasping this concept.

Wrestling was never overly dominant in the heavier divisions either. For every lay and pray wrestler in the big boy weight classes where were 4 more elite strikers.

Daniel Cormier is an exception...he's one of the best fighters of all time.

This is a cleverly guised troll thread even though I agree with the premise. Alex was fast tracked with favourable match ups at MW for sure but that had more to do with them needing fresh challangers for Izzy.

I'm pretty sure if UFC offer him Aspinall / Jones he will take the fight. To be honest, since Jones is calling him out I really wouldn't mind that fight. I wish they would make that and skip the Stipe fight. I think fans would be much more excited for this, I know I would.

This is a cleverly guised troll thread even though I agree with the premise. Alex was fast tracked with favourable match ups at MW for sure but that had more to do with them needing fresh challangers for Izzy.

I'm pretty sure if UFC offer him Aspinall / Jones he will take the fight. To be honest, since Jones is calling him out I really wouldn't mind that fight. I wish they would make that and skip the Stipe fight. I think fans would be much more excited for this, I know I would.
The thing is if Jones isnt going to fight Stipe and is open/not afraid to fight someone else then he absolutley has to fight Tom or fucking vacate.

Jo
Here’s the deal, rarely would I ever say a division is weaker than it once was. However, at light heavyweight this has long been the case. Ever since DC and Jones bounced, there has not been any talent to rival their skills.

In fact, this one of the weakest LHW classes of all time in wrestling. At least Chuck Liddel had to topple Randy Couture to hold title and of lesser significance Tito Ortiz. We don’t even have a wrestler of the quality of Randy Couture at light heavyweight anymore.

This is why when I say Poatan is not proven and sounds like a bluff talking about beating Jones or Aspinall at HW. Jiri took him down no problem and probably won round one coming off a long injury lay off and fighting with apparent ring rust. He’s a very big man, sure, but he’s not a great wrestler at all.

So let’s talk if you disagree about what you possibly could support your perspective with other than hope.
Jones was fighting 40 yr old MW’s at LHW lol. LHW has always been very weak.

If there's no one to do that there than its nothing they need to worry about.

Poatan's been taken down before,and he's always worked his way back to his feet. So taking him down isnt enough to beat him.
People are still acting as if Poatan is Robelis Despaigne on his back

There's nothing to say he wouldn't beat them, and nothing to say he would either, that's the point. The division really took the "mixed" out of mixed martial arts and looks more like a division in a minor league kickboxing promotion with only Pereira having any strong background in that. Ankalaev isn't even that great of a grappler himself, but he's the best one in the division that nobody can beat even with a pretty bad fight IQ.
I dont agree with that. Just because Poatan is more credentialed does not mean that guys like Ankalaev, Roundtree, Rakic and even psychotic motherfuckers like Jiri arent good strikers...They dont have to be from Glory to earn my respect, and its still an MMA context where they can take guys to the ground or do real damage when it gets to the mat...or even lock up a submission. The "mixed" is not taken out of it just because these guys dont come from an extensive grappling background. They are all training this.

I also dont think its fair to say Ank has a bad fight IQ but if your right and he still doesnt lose then that is actually a plus for him and a testament to his skills.

In closing, I dont CARE that a fighter displays all aspects of MMA like some quota system. ALL that matters is if they win. All they have to do is force their style on others. Defensivley Poatan has worked hard and can survive on the ground. Way better than I thought he would. Who is to say the wrestlers who would be in LHW would even make it to face him??

In closing, I dont CARE that a fighter displays all aspects of MMA like some quota system. ALL that matters is if they win. All they have to do is force their style on others. Defensivley Poatan has worked hard and can survive on the ground. Way better than I thought he would. Who is to say the wrestlers who would be in LHW would even make it to face him??

Perfectly said.

This clears the air of every single idiotic argument against Alex.

Forcing one's style + physicality + mental toughness on another person = COMBAT EXCELLENCE.

Whether it be a wrestling-heavy approach, a truly mixed approach, or a striking-heavy approach, WINNING = EVERYTHING.

The rest = mental masturbation.

/Discussion

Back