Understand the Poatan Problem

Yes, and outside of Justin 2 he beats everyone that isn’t an elite grappler. That’s not a bad place to be.
I liked this post, but I don’t think it’s true. Still, poirier is a much better round mma fighter than Poatan.

I really don’t think he’s bluffing when he says he wants to fight these guys. He takes any fight given to him.

It’s not his fault the entire MW and LHW weight classes are lacking in good wrestlers at the moment.
First of all, you have no idea what has or hasn’t been presented to Poatan. So saying “he takes any fight” is just you dream thinking out loud. I have no idea what he has or hasn’t been offered either.

What I said that I think is a bluff, is him thinking he’s going to beat Aspinall or Jones. Sure, anybody has a chance and he is a champion so I’m sure he’s not short of self belief. However, those are very tall orders and more importantly the biggest pay checks he can command. He’s not a spring chicken: I believe he more likely wants those fights for the retirement checks.

Maybe wrestling isn't translating aswell to mma like it use to (similar to what happend with BJJ) and only a few can adapt unlike the past where you could guarantee success with some state level wrestling title.
See this is the problem, people for lack of seeing great wrestling talent in mma actually forgetting how successful great wrestlers have been.

You really think Perreira vs DC or Jones when they were top of the division would demonstrate why wrestling isn’t working in mma?

I dont really care that a weight class lacks wrestlers or strikers etc. That alone doesnt make it weak. It just happens to be how it is at the time. It's not Poatans fault that there isnt a DC or Rampage or Arona type and whose to say he wouldnt beat them if there was anyway?
Dc would maul him

It’s so weird to see fans complain some mythical GOAT doesn’t exist to crush the champ. It’s even weirder when that champ is everything fans should want in a fighter. He’s incredibly violent, a likeable guy, fights often and has an unbelievable highlight reel. Why do you guys want to see some crotch sniffer dry hump him for 25 minutes so bad?

The just bleed gods sent us a fighter straight out of our career modes of the ufc video game, with god tier power to crush everybody and some people are mad about it. Alex bless.

This is fucked up. TS is calling Poatan the modern day Tim Sylvia. TS should be give double yellows, maybe even triple...
You write clearly for an illiterate. Are you using voice to text? Show me where I said Tim Sylvia and you don’t get called illiterate with your super twisted propaganda bullshit.

Maybe wrestling isn't translating aswell to mma like it use to (similar to what happend with BJJ) and only a few can adapt unlike the past where you could guarantee success with some state level wrestling title.
I also wanna add, it’s not wrestling that makes a great mma fighter it’s a great fighter who is also a great wrestler. And this is difficulty, cause there are lots of great wrestlers in the world who will never be great fighters. Khabib, DC, Jones, Fedor and Couture, Noguiera even, and so on. These are incredibly tough and strong willed people who never quit in pursuit of finishing their opponents. That’s what made them great, they used great grappling amongst other skills to apply that.

I didn’t have this issue with Khabib. I was not at alll convinced American wrestling was gonna upstage Dagestan. Khabib is/was an absolute behemoth on the ground. Most any eye should be able to see the comparative difference of how imposing his strength is. Like nobody makes people look as helpless beneath them than Khabib did, it’s the best I’ve ever seen in this sport.

All Khabib dick riding aside, I made this thread more so to defend my position that Poatan is under-proven for his regard. And as I’ve said, I like Alex. I think he’s fun to watch, I think he’s very talented. I’m not saying he’s not a good champion. Just on the basis of history his resume is weak.

Filipovic had Barnett, Fedor, Aleks, Nogeuira. Liddell, couture and Ortiz, DC and Jones had each other and Rashad, I guess. It hard to celebrate like those guys without that kind of adversity.
Crocop got beat by Fedor in the feet however, so the ground had nothing to do with it sir.

I also wanna add, it’s not wrestling that makes a great mma fighter it’s a great fighter who is also a great wrestler. And this is difficulty, cause there are lots of great wrestlers in the world who will never be great fighters. Khabib, DC, Jones, Fedor and Couture, Noguiera even, and so on. These are incredibly tough and strong willed people who never quit in pursuit of finishing their opponents. That’s what made them great, they used great grappling amongst other skills to apply that.

So according to you Anderson Silva wasn't a great fighter because he wasn't a great wrestler?

Odd take sir.

Why don’t we get threads like this complaining about the lack of great strikers when wrestlers/grapplers rule a division? Usually when a wrestler rules, we get complaints that there aren’t other wrestlers good enough to prevail. Usman, Merab, Colby, Bo, Aljo… why doesn’t anyone complain about them being weak strikers?
I understand that Pereira is unproven on the ground, but it seems to bother Sherdog way too much.
Because grappling, especially wrestling, is the cornerstone of MMA. You will always hear about a striker having a 'puncher's chance' when up against an elite wrestler but you won't hear the reverse.

Crocop got beat by Fedor in the feet however, so the ground had nothing to do with it sir.
That doesn’t change the fact that Fedor was a great grappler and altho the bout was primarily contested on the feet, Fedor’a grappling was a significant factor.

I’m not really sure what you’re trying to say I said otherwise, but I’m very aware of how that fight went. I watched it live and I’ve seen it many times.

The day that Alex gets wrestlefucked and loses his title, is the day that all of his band wagon fans jump off and disappear lol. He hasn't defended a title yet and people are saying he's a God or something, I think it's because people hate Izzy sooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuuuch that they want to throat Alex's Poatan.

Pereira is good, but people need to slow down.

Have to disagree sir.
People like Alex because he's genuine, and he did what Izzy failed to do.

The guy has accomplished more in a few years than some fighters do in 10-15.
He also became double champ in the very organization that Izzy ran from to fight lesser competition in China.
Alex stood there after his loses and persevered, and that in itself is something to be admired.

If he gets wrestle fucked then so be it, but I'll still be a fan because he dared to be great and he didn't make excuses for his loses...just my opinion of course.

So according to you Anderson Silva wasn't a great fighter because he wasn't a great wrestler?

Odd take sir.
Who the fuck is talking about Anderson Silva?

What is going on in this thread?

For you, sir, I will needlessly acknowledge that Anderson Silva was a great fighter. It is no secret that Anderson Silva struggled with great wrestlers and grapplers in different ways at different times.

Because grappling, especially wrestling, is the cornerstone of MMA. You will always hear about a striker having a 'puncher's chance' when up against an elite wrestler but you won't hear the reverse.
Maybe it used to be, but not anymore. The number one scoring factor is damage inflicted, so there is a clear shift towards more striking and less grappling. We are talking sports entertainment now, more excitement and less blanketing.

That doesn’t change the fact that Fedor was a great grappler and altho the bout was primarily contested on the feet, Fedor’a grappling was a significant factor.

I’m not really sure what you’re trying to say I said otherwise, but I’m very aware of how that fight went. I watched it live and I’ve seen it many times.
You're bringing up wrestling as if its the only way to measure a fighter, and I think that's a shitty way to judge fighting... that's what im trying to say.

Who the fuck is talking about Anderson Silva?

What is going on in this thread?

For you, sir, I will needlessly acknowledge that Anderson Silva was a great fighter. It is no secret that Anderson Silva struggled with great wrestlers and grapplers in different ways at different times.

Dude you're the one that said a great fighter is a fighter that can wrestle...Chael showed that Anderson couldn't stop a single takedown.
Anderson is, was and always will be a better fighter than Chael.

It’s so weird to see fans complain some mythical GOAT doesn’t exist to crush the champ. It’s even weirder when that champ is everything fans should want in a fighter. He’s incredibly violent, a likeable guy, fights often and has an unbelievable highlight reel. Why do you guys want to see some crotch sniffer dry hump him for 25 minutes so bad?

The just bleed gods sent us a fighter straight out of our career modes of the ufc video game, with god tier power to crush everybody and some people are mad about it. Alex bless.
I don’t play video games so I have no idea what the later portion of this this statement is about.

Which great wrestler grappler that I named is a crotch sniffer?

I haven’t said a single insulting thing about Alex. I think the animosity is clearly about wrestling grappling primarily as you’re saying I’m wishful of a crotch sniffer to hold him down.

I’ve named Khabib, DC, Jones, Barnett, Couture, Fedor and Noguiera. Those are crotch sniffers?

Dude you're the one that said a great fighter is a fighter that can wrestle...Chael showed that Anderson couldn't stop a single takedown.
Anderson is, was and always will be a better fighter than Chael.
Anderson had the grappling skill to choke Charl out. Anderson was a well rounded mma fighter: he faced adversity and overcame it. Alex has yet to face that level of grappling adversity. You’re projecting phantoms of your psyche into this thread.

Maybe it used to be, but not anymore. The number one scoring factor is damage inflicted, so there is a clear shift towards more striking and less grappling. We are talking sports entertainment now, more excitement and less blanketing.
I don't even mean in terms of rules, if you don't know how to grapple in MMA you end up with all-time embarrassing performances like Despaigne just had. I still contend it is the most important aspect of the game.

Anderson had the grappling skill to choke Charl out. Anderson was a well rounded mma fighter: he faced adversity and overcame it. Alex has yet to face that level of grappling adversity. You’re projecting phantoms of your psyche into this thread.

No sir, I am reading what YOU wrote and answering it.
Its not Alex's fault that there isn't a good wrestler in his division.

Back