Underrated Upcoming LW Fight: Dan Hooker vs Gilbert Burns

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Who do you think wins this?

Burns has suddenly got two knockout wins, albeit against not very good opponents in Jason Saggo and the debutante. He has power in his right hand (as do most), but hasn't shown much variety other than that and Burns is very hittable. Hooker, however, has shown much more than that, he is a really crisp striker and has improved in the past few years. He is decent power in his fists, but more-so in his knees and kicks.

Grappling is clearly the category where Burns is at his best, he has a very good top game and a nice armbar, so I think Hooker may be good enough not to get submitted, he would clearly be controlled from his back. I can't recall how good Hooker is at defending takedowns, because takedowns also are not Burns' strongest trait in his mma game.

Gilbert Burns last two finishes:

Dan Hooker last finish (couldn't find another recent one):
UnkemptSaltyBettong-size_restricted.gif

Burns... power but wild. Thinking Hooker could catch him... Just hope... They Let Them Bang!!!

I like the Hangman. I counted him out in about every fight he fought in the UFC. Dude is most dangerous when pressured, and a beast at LW. Burns fell in love with his striking and that could cost him in this fight.

Hooker has looked great at 155. 3 fights 3 finishes, all vs solid competition. I'm taking him but either way I would expect the winner to jump into the top taking the spot of the OAM/Hernandez loser.

Good scrap. Mostly a pick em, but I'll lean towards Hangman

Hooker by easy KO IMO. There is nothing special about Burns' striking other than his power. He has plodding feet and only throws looping hooks. He also gets hit a lot. Hooker is too long and crafty.

Hooker looks like the legit goods at lw. Burns has power but still looks like a bit of a brawler on the feet to me, if Burns doesn't use his takedowns, which it seems loke hes intent on being a KO artist lately, I think Hooker starches him.

I'd say Hooker. I think he defends the takedowns and I think Burns striking can get wild at times not to mention Hooker has looked good at recently.

Hooker by length, toughness, and striking arsenal. I love this fight, both guys are finishers

Back