News Umar Nurmagomedov vs Bekzat Almakhan is set for March 2

Who wins?

• Total voters
If you don’t know Umar’s opponent yet (he signed with the UFC last week), check out this thread:
Bekzat Almakhan is a 26 years old Kazakh with a professional MMA-record of 17-1 (13 KO/TKO, 2 sub.), on a 9-fight winstreak.
He mostly fought in the Eurasian OCTAGON League:

My first thought when I saw his pic in this first post was, I didn’t know the guy from Sum 41 was a fighter.
IMG_1062.jpeg

"Always bet on Beard!"
- Double 00-CeMb

Looks like it could be a super fun fight but it just doesn't make any sense. Umar must've angered Dana with that last pullout.

Sherdog Fight Finder over Tapology?
What we're looking into is whether all of his matches registered under Zhekpe Zhek were MMA fights. Zhekpe Zhek is the national martial art of Kazakhstan, and it's also an ununified banner of many fights in that country that are with that sport or in MMA. It's a huge mess and we're trying to unravel things. Based on videos I've seen, the kid could be 14-1, or he could be like 23-1 (or maybe even 2, not sure about that other one).

Why would the UFC book this match up?

Bekzat is dangerous. High risk/no upside oppponent for a budding BW star in Umar. Dont get it <{hughesimpress}>

Font, Martinez, Cruz, Munhoz, Bautista, Simon are all better match ups and they dont have fights booked

Ummmmmm, say fucking what?!

A debutant?!

I mean the guy seems impressive and fairplay to Umar for taking the risk, but this some fucking whack matchmaking. Strip people of their rankings if they won't fight someone ranked. It's not fucking hard.
I guess no one wants to fight Umar

I hope alakazam or whatever wins

but sandhagen signed to fight him and umar pulled out

And his second biggest opportunity was against jack shore, who at that time was ranked higher than umar, and umar pulled out there as well.

Last edited:
Umar can’t win in the eyes of the critics. When he was booked against Sandhagen they said he didn’t deserve the fight but now they are saying he’s only fighting this guy to pad his record and he should be fighting someone better.

Thank you. Its absurd how many people post 'nobody wants to fight Umar' out of hand.

He was just booked with the #5 guy in the world, one of the biggest names in the division, and Umar pulled out.

If you get a big booking and can't make it to the show, and have a history of pulling out of fights, you are not going to keep getting rewarded with the same level of opportunity. Now he's getting a random fight.
And there's a good chance he could've beat Sandhagen on that night, the guy had an injured tricep and within a few minutes into the fight it was fully torn which is why he had to play it safe against Font for the rest of the bout.

I know I'm saying this in hindsight and we don't know exactly why Umar pulled out for, but if it wasn't something too detrimental then he would of had a very good chance of beating that version of Cory.

Umar can’t win in the eyes of the critics. When he was booked against Sandhagen they said he didn’t deserve the fight but now they are saying he’s only fighting this guy to pad his record and he should be fighting someone better.

Well, Sandhagen and Bekzat are on two opposite ends of the spectrum, so it makes sense that the opinions would drastically shift like that lol.

And there's a good chance he could've beat Sandhagen on that night, the guy had an injured tricep and within a few minutes into the fight it was fully torn which is why he had to play it safe against Font for the rest of the bout.

I know I'm saying this in hindsight and we don't know exactly why Umar pulled out for, but if it wasn't something too detrimental then he would of had a very good chance of beating that version of Cory.
Honestly, reminds me of when aldo pulled out of mcgregor fight. McGregor was CLEARLY hurt vs Mendes, that may have been aldos chance to take him out.

From Sandhagen to this guy? What did Umar do

Honestly, reminds me of when aldo pulled out of mcgregor fight. McGregor was CLEARLY hurt vs Mendes, that may have been aldos chance to take him out.
Again It is a hindsight thing, and the opposing side usually wouldn't know if their opponent has an injury.
For McGregor/Aldo, at least Aldo was champ(leverage) and that fight had a good chance of being booked again because of that.

The thing is Umar was the one getting the bump here and fighting way up, it was a fun fight but a pretty crazy booking. Now he's going to have a longer road due withdrawing from the fight.
Idk what injuries he's been dealing with to keep him this inactive, that being said I hope he's able to step it up a bit this year.

Back