UFC Openweight

FinalConflict2005

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Early UFC days were openweight fights. Then weight classes became mandatory. The UFC visits other countries where openweight bouts are sanctioned. Would this help UFC with PPV sales and bring some excitement?

What openweight fights would interest you guys?

Mighty Mouse vs. Stipe make it happen

The UFC visits other countries where openweight bouts are sanctioned. Would this help UFC with PPV sales and bring some excitement?
It's hard to get a UFC fighter to fight an opponent that's .5 lbs above the weight limit, let alone an open weight fight...

What openweight fights would interest you guys?
Conor or Colby V.
giphy.gif

Lets eliminate testing while we are at it.

Never happens. Any idea died when McGregor and the UFC said Nate Diaz was Big Foot sized.

Cyborg vs Gabi please...Seriously though,I always liked them back in the day and I like seeing them in other orgs but I don't think it belongs in the UFC.I like the freak fights but I also think it had it's time and that time has passed.I would like to see the 265 cap taken off of HW though and that could provide some sorta freak fights every big once in a while.

I certainly would not be opposed to them, and the UFC could ask a number of top guys if they were interested, but one of the problems I see potentially would be holding up divisions. have a 16 or 32 round tournament.

Cyborg vs Gabi please...Seriously though,I always liked them back in the day and I like seeing them in other orgs but I don't think it belongs in the UFC.I like the freak fights but I also think it had it's time and that time has passed.I would like to see the 265 cap taken off of HW though and that could provide some sorta freak fights every big once in a while.
I agree. For a while now the best heavyweights have been about 240 lbs. So being 265 doesn't make them better, just take the top off and see where it goes.

I don't think many top fighters would be open to the idea of fighting guys in another division. Fighters struggling to make any noise in their own division are not going to risk fighting somebody smaller that could be a legit threat.

8-man tourney featuring the champs of each division...HW vs. LHW, MW vs. WW and so on I'd pay 100 to see that in one evening.

Back