• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC losing its credibility

Zlatan1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Chael, Nick Diaz, Shogun if he wins, probably Bisping if he wins... Undeserving title shots everywhere. I am a big fan of those guys, but fighters like Hendo, Weidman and Hendricks are getting screwed up big time. In my opinion, the UFC is losing its credibility with those decisions. I know, MMA is a business, but...

sucks for guys who earned it, but its always been about who will sell tickets.

Chael, Nick Diaz, Shogun if he wins, probably Bisping if he wins... Undeserving title shots everywhere. I am a big fan of those guys, but fighters like Hendo, Weidman and Hendricks are getting screwed up big time. In my opinion, the UFC is losing its credibility with those decisions. I know, MMA is a business, but...

youmustbenewhere.jpg

They have been doing this since
0.jpg

time for dana to move on & let a new visionary put his stamp on things,
time to clean house imo

youmustbenewhere.jpg

They have been doing this since
0.jpg

Not like this though, it's almost farcical now, and I think the point that makes many of us so frustrated is that up until recently, there has been a notion that the UFC is at least attempting to walk in the right direction. This recent spate of unjustifiable matchmaking has made any hope of MMA ever being a legitimate, cohesive sport that absolutely cannot be confused with crap like WWE dissapear.

Ever since Dana publicly trashed Bones (taking ZERO credibility) I have lost all my respect for him. I used to be neutral, even giving him the benefit of the doubt the majority of the time when he contradicted himself or crossed the line. Ever since that time it's been one thing after another, and i cant even listen to an interview with guy in it anymore. At press conferences i fast forward past anything he has to say. It seems ever since FOX things have really gone to rat shit.

I agree with the premise of your post with particular reference to Chael and Nick Diaz. However I can't really see Shogun getting the next title shot if he wins so I disagree with that particular statement. Secondly I think that Bisping is equally if not more deserving than chris weidman is to get a crack at AS especially if he beats vitor. I think that a major case can be made that bisping beat Chael Sonnen who many feel was the first legitimate threat to AS in a long time. His most recent victory over Stann is a good win, although it may not hold the gravity of Weidman's victory over Munoz, although it is my opinion that both fighters are over rated. I think he neds one more good win to be top contender and if he beats Vitor he will be deserving of his shot. Add to that the fact that Weidman is out injured and won't be able to fight until possibly mid summer and I don't think you can argue with him being top contender. It won't be for business purposes because the UK is not the blossoming MMA market it once was in terms of marketability and money making for the UFC (as shown by the fact that the ufc is holding the Bisping Belfort fight in brazil).

Ever since Dana publicly trashed Bones (taking ZERO credibility) I have lost all my respect for him. I used to be neutral, even giving him the benefit of the doubt the majority of the time when he contradicted himself or crossed the line. Ever since that time it's been one thing after another, and i cant even listen to an interview with guy in it anymore. At press conferences i fast forward past anything he has to say. It seems ever since FOX things have really gone to rat shit.

Exactly this. There is a lot of people who are doing the 'it's always been like this' routine, but it absolutely has gotten worse in the last year or so. And announcing two title fights where the challenger is coming off a loss in just a few months shows that at this point, they dont even pretend anymore. They at least used to care about credibility.

Not like this though, it's almost farcical now, and I think the point that makes many of us so frustrated is that up until recently, there has been a notion that the UFC is at least attempting to walk in the right direction. This recent spate of unjustifiable matchmaking has made any hope of MMA ever being a legitimate, cohesive sport that absolutely cannot be confused with crap like WWE dissapear.

I do get what you're saying. And it's sort of part of the slew of criticism Dana heaps on boxing promoters.

Still... The more money in the UFC, the more it will start to become like boxing in terms of the matchmaking, the fighters picking and choosing which fights they want/don't want, weight classes people don't care about, poor cards, etc. Every day, Dana becomes less like a CEO who is also an MMA fan and more like your typical ordinary big company CEO. All that he's keeping that makes him 'real' is superficial--his foul mouth. His behavior, blaming responsibility when things go bad, putting spin on anything negative, etc, that's just the same banana we see from lots of people running companies or working as boxing promoters or managing pro sports teams.

What I'm saying is, I agree with you, but I also think the UFC was always going to turn out this way as its popularity grew. In terms of the matchmaking, it's only going to be more of the same.

Thinking of boxing again... Seriously, I know Pacquiao has a ton of fans, but why do people remotely want to see him fight Marquez AGAIN? If the Mayweather fight isn't happening, there are a lot of young, dangerous guys who could put up entertaining fights with Pacquiao, but we will never see those fights because everyone's protecting the money and he's only going to get matched up with guys that can sell.

Its a business.

And its sole aim is to stack as much $$$$ as possible.

So as much as I dont like the way alot of decisions are made thats just the way the world spins.

Exactly this. There is a lot of people who are doing the 'it's always been like this' routine, but it absolutely has gotten worse in the last year or so. And announcing two title fights where the challenger is coming off a loss in just a few months shows that at this point, they dont even pretend anymore. They at least used to care about credibility.

True indeed. These types of match ups used to be few, and far between. Now they're common place. Monthly even.

I agree, too many guys have been screwed out of title shots and too many have been given title shot who do not deserve one.

I've shat all over this in so many threads, I'm going to just have to start copy/pasting it, but for now I'll just give you a quick rundown.

Ever since, Sonnen/Jones, the more ignorant sherdoggers have been getting a little crazy with this "omg bullshit matchups are happening all the time" or "might as well give anyone a title shot. it's not like they care anymore"

stuff like that

but guess what? it's bullshit. Why? Because the title shots that don't make much sense are extremely rare.

It's kinda like when you get slapped in the face. It probably doesn't happen often but you REMEMBER it better than you do all those times that you didn't get slapped.

So here's a quick rundown of some recent title fights and scheduled title fights:

HW: Lesnar/Couture, Lesnar/Mir, Lesnar/Carwin, Lesnar/Cain, Cain/JDS, JDS/Mir, JDS/Cain 2, winner vs possible Overeem.

That's 8 potential title fights all together and guess how many of them were bullshit?

Just one, and that was all the way back in 2008.

LHW: Rampage/Hendo, Rampage/Forrest, Forrest/Rashad, Rashad/Machida, Machida/Shogun, Machida/Shogun 2, Shogun/Jones, Jones/Rampage, Jones/Machida, Jones/Rashad, Jones/Hendo, Jones/Machida 2, Jones/Vitor, Jones/Sonnen

That's 14 potential title fights. Only 2 them were bullshit but one was a last minute replacement and after a more legit contender turned down the chance to be the last minute replacement (which is why I have machida 2 on there)

2 out of 14

and since there's been zero bullshit shots at mw i'll skip that one.

ww: Hughes/Penn, Hughes/GSP, GSP/Serra, Serra/GSP, GSP/Fitch, GSP/Penn, GSP/Alves, GSP/Hardy, GSP/Koscheck, GSP/Shields, GSP/Diaz, GSP/Condit, GSP/Diaz

1 out of 13.

Do you still think undeserved title shots are everywhere? The vast majority of title shots are completely legit and based on winning streaks and/or high profile wins.

Including Bisping in an undeserving title shot thread?
Really?
He's never had one before, beaten many opponents, had the closest of close fights with Sonnen (I think Bisping won), beat Stann and if he beats Belfort who just fought and impressed against Bones for the LHW belt, he's worth his shot.

The bullshit surrounding Bisping is embarrassing. If you dislike him so much, you should want to see him get beaten up by Anderson Silva.

I've shat all over this in so many threads, I'm going to just have to start copy/pasting it, but for now I'll just give you a quick rundown.

Ever since, Sonnen/Jones, the more ignorant sherdoggers have been getting a little crazy with this "omg bullshit matchups are happening all the time" or "might as well give anyone a title shot. it's not like they care anymore"

stuff like that

but guess what? it's bullshit. Why? Because the title shots that don't make much sense are extremely rare.

It's kinda like when you get slapped in the face. It probably doesn't happen often but you REMEMBER it better than you do all those times that you didn't get slapped.

So here's a quick rundown of some recent title fights and scheduled title fights:

HW: Lesnar/Couture, Lesnar/Mir, Lesnar/Carwin, Lesnar/Cain, Cain/JDS, JDS/Mir, JDS/Cain 2, winner vs possible Overeem.

That's 8 potential title fights all together and guess how many of them were bullshit?

Just one, and that was all the way back in 2008.

LHW: Rampage/Hendo, Rampage/Forrest, Forrest/Rashad, Rashad/Machida, Machida/Shogun, Machida/Shogun 2, Shogun/Jones, Jones/Rampage, Jones/Machida, Jones/Rashad, Jones/Hendo, Jones/Machida 2, Jones/Vitor, Jones/Sonnen

That's 14 potential title fights. Only 2 them were bullshit but one was a last minute replacement and after a more legit contender turned down the chance to be the last minute replacement (which is why I have machida 2 on there)

2 out of 14

and since there's been zero bullshit shots at mw i'll skip that one.

ww: Hughes/Penn, Hughes/GSP, GSP/Serra, Serra/GSP, GSP/Fitch, GSP/Penn, GSP/Alves, GSP/Hardy, GSP/Koscheck, GSP/Shields, GSP/Diaz, GSP/Condit, GSP/Diaz

1 out of 13.

Do you still think undeserved title shots are everywhere? The vast majority of title shots are completely legit and based on winning streaks and/or high profile wins.

Right now there is three title shots scheduled (Sonnen, Diaz, Camouche) that couldn't be labeled as anything except bullshit. Show me the last time that happened, or some evidence that this is just an anomaly and that it wont be like this in the future, and I'll shut up.

Back