UFC gym

7even

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I tried to find a thread about this topic, but I’m having a hard time navigating through this Sherdog app on my phone.

Mods if you like, you can merge my question to a previously made thread about my topic.

Ok, so I’m only interested in training no gi BJJ.
I trained in boxing at Mendez Boxing in New York City, And I trained bjj at Gracie BJJ in Newark, New Jersey.

I notice there is a UFC gym near my home in East Rutherford, New Jersey. I been having a hard time finding any schools that focuses on No Gi submission grappling/bjj.

I talked to one of the employees, and they tried to sell me that the instructors are really good and have mma experience. I should of got the names of the instructors. I guess I can get it from their website.

I’m worried that the gym is just a place for soccer moms to do cardio and a few d-bags to train in “UFC”

What’s your experience in you have any in training in a UFC gym?

Is there a dress code? Do I have to buy UFC gloves if I want to hit the heavy bag? I really don’t want to buy gear that I already have.

Last edited:
More geared for people who are just looking to get into one aspect of MMA and not really compete. The price brings in casuals compared to competition based gyms which charge 2x as much.

I think it varies by gym. I know some UFC gyms (UFC Hoboken) became the home gym for a separate, established Bjj school.

I teach full time at the UFC Gym here in Honolulu. The kids program here is great, and is one of the strongest and largest competition teams in the state. Lots of serious competitors that train hard

The adults program isn't geared towards competition as much as it is geared to people training recreationally however, the quality of training the instructors bring make the environment a good one to train for competitions if one decides they want to. I don't push any of the students to compete but many of them do and I train them accordingly for that in the classes and there are no complaints. Theres a strong group of competitors and nearly all the instructors are former or currently active competitors as well as the head instructor was a Brazilian Nationals champion at black belt. The culture and the environment here is just as good as any strict BJJ school.

Back