News UFC Anti-Trust Lawsuit Has Been Settled and Will NOT Go To Trial Paying Out $335 Million

They were initially looking for anywhere from $894 million to $1.6 billion. Looks like TKO (UFC parent company) made a good deal. It isn't enough money, but it's something.

There were 1,200 fighters involved in the lawsuit, so that works out to about $280K per fighter. I would say the company got off light, to put it kindly.

To put things into perspective the TKO is looking to double the UFC's media rights fees, which are currently $300 million a year. If they sign a new deal, it'll likely be a 5 year, $2.4 to $3.0 billion dollar deal. This doesn't include the $105 million a year Bud Light is giving them, gate, UAE fees, tax breaks, site money and countless other deals.

The UFC just made $1.3 billion last year and $1.1 billion the year before.

This settlement is a drop in the bucket.

@Black9

I also updated the OP with quotes and the article. I can't stand a half assed OP, lol.
The lawyers will take a huge chunk of the settlement. The fighters did not really make out on this but at least they got something.

Matt Hughes if true!

In my eyes they are basically admitting to fault. Because if your not guilty then why settle?

Let's see what else comes of this. Cung Le is a badass.

Maybe TKO put pressure on the UFC to resolve this quickly. Sweep it under the rug like many have said. But still in my eyes makes them look guilty and we ain't gonna forget. Can be used against them.
Not really. People settle just to get rid of a long agony, that will also cost them a lot in lawyer fees.

Back in the day, Ted turner would settle any court case that was 150,000 and under just to get back to business.

What happens when you have a successful business that generates lots of money

In my personal non legal opinion I don't think what the UFC allegedly did with the exclusive contracts, supposed coercion and buying out competitors is that bad, their just cheap fucks in general and should pay their fighter more to begin with. By my math if the lawyers take half that leaves 167 million to get divided by the 1800 fighters who signed the lawsuite equals 97 grand to each fighter. Not bad I guess.

I would have preferred trial as that would set a precedent for the future and perhaps change things completely

But that much money is nothing to sneeze at.

What fighters get it and how much?

I'm assuming the lawyers are gonna wind up with like half.

Lawyer's get about 1/3 in a standard settlement. I'm not sure how it differs in a class action, but that's a safe jump off. Also, that's going to be taxable income.

So if we take 335 mil divided by 1,200 plaintifs you're looking at about 279k each on average. Then take out 1/3 in taxes and 1/3 for the lawyers and they're down to about 92k each (back of the napkin numbers).

It's a very big win for the law firm and the IRS. But for guys like Fitch, and Cung Le that's less than their show money when they were fighting.

Still, they stood up to UFC and won. They made them treat athletes better and I'm sure that's worth something to them as well.

Matt Hughes if true!

In my eyes they are basically admitting to fault. Because if your not guilty then why settle?

Maybe TKO put pressure on the UFC to resolve this quickly. Sweep it under the rug like many have said. But still in my eyes makes them look guilty and we ain't gonna forget. Can be used against them.
So much cope. Lol

Matt Hughes if true!

I'm not saying they're innocent, but large companies frequently settle just because it's cheaper than trial, even if they were going to be vindicated in trial. It isn't really admitting anything other than one is cheaper than the other.

That applies to everything from low end workers comp cases, all the way up to big shit like this.

I’m pretty sure the thread is still on page 1.

I just checked. Yup, the fifth normal thread on page one says it all.

Expecting a merge.

200w.gif

All that for a drop of blood, we all knew these fighters just wanted money. It was never about changing it for the rest of the fighters.

That’s a big UFC win.

If they went to trial, the discovery phase would have likely been very revealing and damaging, the legal costs mounting exponentially, and a 50/50 chance of losing and facing a huge payout.

With “just” 300m (far from a crippling sum by UFC standards) they avoid all those costs and risks … and it’s a tax write off too.

Not sure if the settlement split is even or some fighters are entitled to more than others, but if all equal then after legal fees and taxes they’re getting less than 100k each … better than nothing, but a small fraction of what they were hoping and after a decade of legal hustles.

UFC by KO.

Back