UFC 218 Fight Pass Prelim Breakdowns/Predictions

Fartler

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Sabah Homasi

Sabah Homasi
is definitely a fighter. He has balls and fights with them. He took Tim Means on short notice for his UFC debut. Homasi went after Means with big punches and hardly driven takedowns. He gave it his all and gassed himself out. I’m not going to judge his gas tank or his game plan because he did take it on very short notice. He probably knew he only had 1 round of energy to take Tim Means out and he tried. Another thing he has going for him is one hell of a chin. He ate huge shots for almost 2 rounds and still stayed on his feet as the referee stepped in to stop the fight. He trains at a good camp, and has been out of the octagon for over a year. I expect to see a more seasoned fighter with a little more patience his next time out.

Abdul Razak Alhassan loves to get in his opponents face and trade hooks. He loves throwing his right hand almost too much. He’s very quick and has great footwork. His only weakness so far is his takedown defense, but he does a great job using the cage or butterfly hooks to get back to his feet quickly. I think he could learn a lot about himself with his last fight, a loss to Omari Akhmedov. If he can learn to stuff a couple takedowns, and continue to get back to his feet quickly like he has shown, then this guy is going to give a lot of mid-tier welterweights some problems.

Prediction: This fight isn’t the easiest to pick a clear winner. Sabah Homasi should know that the best way to win this fight is to get Alhassan down to the mat and control him there. I think Homasi has the skill to make that happen, but I think Homasi loves to trade punches as well. On the feet Alhassan should be able to back Homasi into the cage where he can let his hands go. Homasi will engage and I think he will get rocked before he decides to get this to the ground. I see Alhassan having his way with Homasi once he lands big. Homasi is tough, and I think he can survive to the final bell. Abdul Razak Alhassan by Decision.

Jeremy Kimball vs. Dominick Reyes

Jeremy Kimball
is a pretty small guy for the Light Heavyweight division. He used to fight at middleweight for most of his career and had decent success there. He’s a gritty, durable fighter, and he can take a punch. He doesn’t have good defense when striking. He keeps a high pace on the feet but leaves his chin straight in the air to be countered. His only KO loss was his UFC debut, but that happened after he slipped and got stuck in a bad position against the cage. His chin still held up in that stoppage.

Dominick Reyes is a stud. He’s a tall southpaw that uses his range very well. He stalks his opponents and unloads with powerful kicks to the head and body, or lands heavy straight lefts often. As of right now, this guy is a problem in the Light Heavyweight division. The only thing against the guy is the quality of opponents that he’s been facing, and he has never seen the second round in his 7 fight career.

Prediction: This fight is going to have guaranteed fireworks on the feet. Reyes will be the bigger/stronger man. I don’t like the fact that Reyes has never been to the second or third rounds, but I don’t think Kimball has the defense on the feet to survive the onslaught from Reyes. I see, the southpaw, Reyes taking the center of the octagon and landing hard kicks to the liver, and then landing his straight left consistently to hurt Kimball. I think by landing the kicks to the body, Reyes will go to the head with a kick. This will be another first round stoppage for the much larger Reyes. Dominick Reyes by KO, 1st Round.

Angela Magana vs Amanda Cooper

Angela Magana
is 34 years old with an 11-8 record. She is 0-2 in the UFC against 2 girls that are ranked #5 and #6. She could get some sympathy for having to fight such great talent, but her performances were nothing to write home about. She was a human punching bag/ragdoll against, both, Tecia Torres and Michelle Waterson. Magana’s stands straight up on the feet and doesn’t have much power on her straight punches, but her kicks and knees are strong when she throws them. Her best game is in the clinch and on the ground. She has strong control in grappling situations, but her cardio disappears very quickly. At 34 years old and coming off of a 2 year layoff, I can’t imagine seeing major improvements and I don’t see any upside to her future.

Amanda Cooper is a young prospect that only has 5 fights on her professional record, but she has a few more fights from being on The Ultimate Fighter series. Currently, Cooper is 1-2 in the UFC. Her 2 losses were to some great up and coming prospects that finished Cooper on the ground in the 1st round. Cooper is highly active with her boxing, and will go for submissions in any position. She commits to submissions that are hard to complete and then she ends up in a bad position when her opponents escape. She doesn’t have strong control when on the ground, so she usually gets out scrambled. I see some potential in her to tighten up her skillset, but I don’t see her being a girl that ever comes close to cracking the top 10. She’s still young, so she could stay on the UFC roster for years to come.

Prediction: This fight is between 2 girls with awful records. One of them being, a long time vet in the sport, and the other being, an up and comer. This fight is tricky because Cooper can easily be taken down and out scrambled. Magana’s best chance in this fight is to immediately clinch up with Cooper and get this fight to the ground where she can get on top and search for a submission. Cooper does have some submissions from her back, but Magana is pretty good at escaping deep submissions. On the feet, Cooper should be able to use a high volume of strikes to batter Magana. I expect this fight to have a wild/fast paced first round. If this fight makes it past the first round, Magana should gas out and Amanda Cooper should be able to use a high volume attack to win a decision. I cannot trust Cooper to defend the takedowns or submission attempts from Magana, and that is why this is a “pass” in terms for betting. Amanda Cooper via Decision.

Justin Willis vs. Allen Crowder

Justin Willis
is fresh into his MMA career with a 5-1 record. He has a wrestling background and he trains at a super camp that transitions large wrestlers really well for MMA. His stand-up is improving and he has good fundamentals. Always keeps his hands up when his opponents are coming forward and he moves his head pretty well. He likes to keep a slow paced fight on the feet and the ground, and he is in no rush to get the fight to the ground. I think he’s a guy that can do good things if he is pushed along slowly in this shallow Heavyweight division.

Allen Crowder is built like an athlete. Not all heavyweights have the athletic shape to them. He seems very competent on the feet with crisp tight hooks. He does like to try to get fights to the ground, but he’s not the best at achieving the takedowns. He likes to push the pace and gets into scrambles, which doesn't always end up good for him. He has a decent record and has fought for many promotions, but I don’t see him having much success in the UFC heavyweight division. I see him getting out muscled and out worked by most of the roster.

Prediction: This is definitely a good match up for both up and coming Heavyweights. I do think that Justin Willis is the better skilled fighter due to his wrestling and by training at a gym like AKA in San Jose. Allen Crowder might have some success on the feet if he presses forward with his tight hooks, but he is not going to have much success trying to out grapple Willis. Crowder keeps his feet really close together and I see Willis having a field day with double leg takedowns. Once Willis gets on top it’s his world and I see him doing that for three consecutive rounds. Justin Willis by Decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back