U.S. Air Force may recall up to 1,000 retired military pilots

Phr3121

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Air Force may recall up to 1,000 retired military pilots to address 'acute shortage'.

Story: http://abcnews.go.com/US/air-force-recall-1000-retired-military-pilots-address/story?id=50629597

President Trump signed an executive order Friday allowing the Air Force to call back to service up to 1,000 retired aviation officers who wish to return. So, now the U.S. Air Force is having issues? First was the U.S. Navy. What's next, the U.S. Army?

Well we have Navy warships crashing into random boats. Airplanes arent as forgiving.

"who wish to return."

Not everyone likes forced retirement and some realise they made a mistake after the fact.

Reframe them as experienced instead of old.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

This is a topic I’m actually pretty knowledgeable about. The problem recently in the Air Force is that the airlines have been paying super well recently, and have drawn a lot of pilots away from the Air Force. The thing you have to understand is that the vast majority of “rated pilots” in the Air Force don’t fly airplanes. They started as pilots, but after reaching the rank of Major, most pilots get transferred from a flying job into a staff one. So a lot of guys leave once they leave the cockpit. The vast majority of those 1,000 who are being asked to be recalled will be filling staff jobs, so there can be more experience in those jobs, and the current pilots can build more time in the cockpit.

There's something to be said for experience, but not in a field that requires split second reflexes.

Anything but letting transgender people fly the plane. OMG that Trump makes me so mad!!

You hear those war drums beating they be beating again. How you like that we are going to take troops out of the middle east trump today? He sure does not sound like the same guy.

The problem recently in the Air Force is that the airlines have been paying super well recently, and have drawn a lot of pilots away from the Air Force. They started as pilots, but after reaching the rank of Major, most pilots get transferred from a flying job into a staff one. The vast majority of those 1,000 who are being asked to be recalled will be filling staff jobs, so there can be more experience in those jobs, and the current pilots can build more time in the cockpit.

Well, they can't just leave for a better paying job. They still have a contractual obligation with the government for years in service. Yes, I'm familiar with the getting promoted and becoming a 'staff puke' in due time and it does in fact suck (U.S. Army). Some love it though, they like the paperwork and planning part of it. I hear Air National Guard pilots actually get to put in more flying hours because they get to bi-pass the administrative stuff.

Well, they can't just leave for a better paying job. They still have a contractual obligation with the government for years in service. Yes, I'm familiar with the getting promoted and becoming a 'staff puke' in due time and it does in fact suck (U.S. Army). Some love it though, they like the paperwork and planning part of it. I hear Air National Guard pilots actually get to put in more flying hours because they get to bi-pass the administrative stuff.
That’s correct, but recently it’s been hard to retain pilots past their initial six year commitment. It’s hard to keep guys when they can be paid better, and keep flying, in the Airlines as opposed to flying a desk. The Air Guard is for sure a better deal in that regard. There’s a guy in my unit that’s been flying for thirty years and never had a staff job.

The Air Guard is for sure a better deal in that regard.

Yeah, I was shocked when I found that out. Reserve pilots spending more time in the cockpit than their Active Duty counterpart. There is a fountain of knowledge and experience in the Guard and Reserves that people don't realize. A lot of Active Duty folks move there to complete their 20 years and retire. Things have changed a lot in the Guard since the Gulf War in 1991 and later in 2002.

Yeah, I was shocked when I found that out. Reserve pilots spending more time in the cockpit than their Active Duty counterpart. There is a fountain of knowledge and experience in the Guard and Reserves that people don't realize. A lot of Active Duty folks move there to complete their 20 years and retire. Things have changed a lot in the Guard since the Gulf War in 1991 and later in 2002.
For sure, man. My dad was a Viper pilot in the Guard, and a ton of his squadron mates had seen combat. Tons of Vietnam and Desert Storm guys. Back then they were separate enough from the big Air Force that all they did was fly nonstop. Now it’s a little different, but still the better deal in my opinion

Back