Tyson Vs Douglas

PaunchyLawyer

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Why did Tyson lose that fight? What was going on in his personal life? And if you watched at the time, what were the thoughts about this fight?

Seano was probably in his 60s at the time, I'm sure he'll remember it well.

He didnt train at all, was fcking japanese broads left and right, was probably drugged up and drunk the night before the fight, was pretty much not focused on the fight at all. Meanwhile Douglas was training like a beast and was determined to win.

One thing about this fight that people dont talk about was that uppercut douglas landed that lead to the finish

Literally looked like it snapped mikes neck. Not sure i have seen many single punches more brutal than that

A loss is a loss and it counts whether you trained correctly or not. I think it's well documented that Tyson was drinking, doing drugs and screwing hookers rather than training. I also remember one of his team members saying he used slim-fast to get to fight weight. Couple that with Buster being focused and training like no other time in his career and it spells disaster for Tyson.

People always overlook Douglas' performance in that fight. He never looked anywhere near as good as he did in that fight before or after.

During the week of the fight, he also dedicated it to his mother that had recently passed away. It was the best performance of his career, not just cause he TKO'd Tyson but because he never looked as sharp and focused his entire career as he did that night. Mike was in the middle of a personal spiral, but Buster would've beaten a lot of greats that night.

Here's a few links for ya:
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/page/blackhistoryBOX1/the-day-james-buster-douglas-shook-world
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tyson_vs._Buster_Douglas

I remember his mom passing two weeks prior and he was in shape (best-ever) and said he was coming. He wasn't afraid of Mike having just lost his mother, so some of Tyson's usual advantage was gone. Douglas wasn't coming to try to survive. He wasn't there to play. It was quite a beating, really. The entirety of the fight. Mike took a LOT of punishment that night. Douglas was like Lennox in there that one night and was on a mission for his late mother. Biggest HW upset in history at 40-1, I think it was. And Mike dropped him, too. Quite a fight. Someone should post/embed it here.
I also remember the Tokyo crowd waiting to see Tyson eat another victim in the ring and it was like they didn't even recognize the historical aspect of what they were witnessing. They seemed confused.

One thing about this fight that people dont talk about was that uppercut douglas landed that lead to the finish

Literally looked like it snapped mikes neck. Not sure i have seen many single punches more brutal than that

1990-02-11-TysonXBusterDouglas-uppercut-slomo-sg.gif

A loss is a loss and it counts whether you trained correctly or not. I think it's well documented that Tyson was drinking, doing drugs and screwing hookers rather than training. I also remember one of his team members saying he used slim-fast to get to fight weight. Couple that with Buster being focused and training like no other time in his career and it spells disaster for Tyson.

I think that is a little overrated. Tyson had been fighting for years. You don't just forget to fight.

That said, it is very romantic for a guy who just lost his mom, to throw everything he could in the gym, in training, and finally in the ring and then pulling off something that no one, likely not even himself thought possible. He walked into that ring not knowing whether he was going to win or lose but only with the guarantee that he was bringing unbridled hell with him.

Back