Tyson-Douglas: Slow Count?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Some people say Douglas got a slow count when he got dropped by Tyson in the 8th round of their fight, while Tyson got a fast count.

Does it matter that much? Tyson wasn't looking good until he dropped Douglas. Really, other than that knockdown, Douglas dominated the fight.

I think Don King demanded a no contest because of it, but some commission denied it.

I also think Douglas got dropped hard, but was conscious and used every bit of time given to him to recover. It happened at the very end of the round anyway. The funny thing is that the ref testified against the WBC afterwards, claiming Sulaiman had asked him to stop quickly if Douglas was ever in trouble. He never refed any other big fights and retired the year after.

On the other hand, Mike had taken waaay too much punishment when he got stopped.

Yes it was a slow count. There was a good video showing the time between the ref calling the numbers in slowly increasing, then drastically increasing, time intervals but I can't find it now.

it was a count of 10 by the ref, who is the only person who Douglas needed to listen to, ad he did, and he got up before the ref reached 10(although technically i'm not even sure he was up properly..but thats a completely different argument for another day)

and Tyson an dhis team ran off with some of the belts and thought because they were in Tokyo they could get away with anything they wanted, they were wrong!

I think Don King demanded a no contest because of it, but some commission denied it.

I also think Douglas got dropped hard, but was conscious and used every bit of time given to him to recover. It happened at the very end of the round anyway. The funny thing is that the ref testified against the WBC afterwards, claiming Sulaiman had asked him to stop quickly if Douglas was ever in trouble. He never refed any other big fights and retired the year after.

On the other hand, Mike had taken waaay too much punishment when he got stopped.

That last combination Douglas landed on Tyson was brutal.

Didn’t matter. Buster deserved to win that fight and Tyson didn’t.

Douglas did his mother proud, just like he planned. Amazing fight/moment in history. I was with a buddy in our apartment knocking back a few (dozen) beers and we were LOSING it that entire bout. I'm about Mike's age and you have to remember, he was simply unbeatable going into that one. A mythical monster who could crush any mortal man like some type of comic book character.

That was one hell of an upset, but it didn't have anything to do with any count.

The reason I think it doesn't matter is Douglas was just using the time he was given. I'm sure if the ref was counting faster he'd have acted accordingly.

It was a slow count. Sort of shitty but meh.
The reason I think it doesn't matter is Douglas was just using the time he was given. I'm sure if the ref was counting faster he'd have acted accordingly.
Or hed have gotten knocked back down.

It was a slow count. Sort of shitty but meh.

Or hed have gotten knocked back down.

Then was Mike's count slow as well? The vid appears to show the ref use the same count above. For both. I don't get that part. Where is the slow count? Both? Or is that video not accurate or something?

Then was Mike's count slow as well? The vid appears to show the ref use the same count above. For both. I don't get that part. Where is the slow count? Both? Or is that video not accurate or something?
Cant say Ive ever paid attention to it. Seen folks run a timer with the count for Buster and its slow.

Like I said though doesnt matter much. Not something Id cry about.

Buster pumped the mat like he was pissed that Mike caught him. Mike probably didn't know what happened until the next morning.

If the ref had stopped the fight when Douglas got dropped, I don't think it'd be memorable for any reason at all. He BARELY beat the count and often if a guy isn't up at 8, the ref waves it off.

That said, everything was done by the book there. There was not really fault with anyone.

Douglas wasn't all that hurt, if the count was faster he would have gotten up faster. He just took his 8 and stood up, like he trained to do.

Douglas wasn't all that hurt, if the count was faster he would have gotten up faster. He just took his 8 and stood up, like he trained to do.

While i dont agree with the flat earth...i mean slow countists.....Douglas was still on shaky street even when he stood at 9, he wasnt even upright

It doesnt matter, it happened, and it is what it is, if he hadnt of had that loss, it would have been to the next guy, he was pretty much a walking timebomb at that point in his life

I feel like you literally have to ignore any other fight where the fighter rose to his feet at the same time because those fights would have been stoppages. I didn't see Buster beat the count of 10. Sorry.

I feel like you literally have to ignore any other fight where the fighter rose to his feet at the same time because those fights would have been stoppages. I didn't see Buster beat the count of 10. Sorry.

The ref didnt say 10, are you watching a different fight?

Douglas was rocked, but he beat the count.

Tyson didn't know what planet he was on, and was done.

Back