Tyson and Khabib

Sherwolf

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
In an alternate universe where Cus D'Amato and Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov lived until after their fighters retired, would Tyson and Khabib be the greatest combat fighters in the history of earth? Discuss

Khabib was always going to retire in his prime to preserve his "undefeated, habibi" legacy.
Tyson would have had a few more good years with Cus around, but as @ncboy said, that isn't a style that carries over well into your thirties.

Tyson and Khabib, both are overrated because of their personalities. Overrated doesn't mean bad btw so don't cry to me

Cus was already having trouble controlling Tyson well before he died (and Tyson wasn't living with him but still trained by Kevin Rooney.) I don't think if he lived another 20 years it would have changed things that much.

No, with Khabib he's just too one dimensional, the moment he fights an elite level MMA wrestler or outstanding TDD he'll be a fish out of water in the standup.

There are plenty in the UFC but always in other divisions, for example P4P the skillsets of prime Jones, DC, Gustafson, Weidman, GSP, Koscheck, Hendricks, Aldo, Cruz, all have superior striking and amazing TDD to neutralize Khabib's game

This is why no one comes close to Jones and GSP, they are elite everywhere and have multiple ways to win (elite striking and elite wrestling to dictate where the fight goes)

Last edited:
Current retired Khabib would dunk his nuts on prime Tyson in pure grappling though, maybe even in MMA rules.

I'm not sure nutdunking is allowed in grappling, but then again I'm no nutdunking expert.

Khabib was always going to retire in his prime to preserve his "undefeated, habibi" legacy.
Tyson would have had a few more good years with Cus around, but as @ncboy said, that isn't a style that carries over well into your thirties.
Ah yes, guy with Irish flag facepaint avatar makes butthurt comment about Khabib. A tale as old as time. Or well, actually just about 5,5 years.

<mma1>

Sad that Cus died. Tyson started making bad decisions. But his style was never going to carry over into his 30s.
It didn't have to, if your undisputed champ at 19 you could realistically retire by the age of 30 with a heap of title defenses under your belt

Back