International Turkey's Lonely Road to Isolation: The World Looks on as Erdogan Jockeys for a Third Decade in Power

Well it would be ethnic cleansing that can't be swept under the rug. Israel has engaged in ethnic cleansing of Palestinians but that was many decades ago and during a hot war. Now, with widespread media dissemination and no Hot war the Israelis can use as an excuse , their ethnic cleansing will be blatant.

Israel will have to accept the Palestinians because they just can't get away with Pakistan level or ISIS level genocide and ethnic cleansing. There are some things even Israel can't get away with.

Just because Jews faced discrimination in the past doesn't give them a get of jail free card . The Pilgrims who came here were also persecuted in Europe , so that means they are excused from genociding the natives?

You are free to believe what you want.

But again I think you are extremely naive if you think the Israelis will ever accept Palestinians as citizens in their borders. Expulsion of a few million people if it happened isn't genocide it's just ethnic cleansing.

Europeans didn't genocide all natives a large bulk of natives died from disease.

The Kurds better not be fucking idiots and blow something up until then. Keep things calm so people can savor the bitter taste of Erdogan's new Turkey before they vote.

well aren't you asking for a allach bless be this miracle there.

You are free to believe what you want.

But again I think you are extremely naive if you think the Israelis will ever accept Palestinians as citizens in their borders. Expulsion of a few million people if it happened isn't genocide it's just ethnic cleansing.

Europeans didn't genocide all natives a large bulk of natives died from disease.
Europeans did deliberately genocide the natives even though a large number died of diseases. Genocide isn't just gassing people in ovens, it is deliberate destruction of culture, working conditions soo brutal that it leads to mass deaths, forced relocating to regions that can not adequately support a population . The fact that genetics tells us there is a huge gender disparity in Native and European Y-DNA and MtDna in Mexican and South American populations proves that European men mated with Native females and created conditions that prevented native males passing on their genes.

What do you think Israel can do? You think they can forcibly shove out the Palestinians in the West Bank? What about the Palestinians within Israel proper, how do you think Jewish Israelis are going to force them out? Do you really think the world is going to allow Israel to force such large number of people out. I think you are deluding yourself in your assessment of Israeli power.

Europeans did deliberately genocide the natives even though a large number died of diseases. Genocide isn't just gassing people in ovens, it is deliberate destruction of culture, working conditions soo brutal that it leads to mass deaths, forced relocating to regions that can not adequately support a population . The fact that genetics tells us there is a huge gender disparity in Native and European Y-DNA and MtDna in Mexican and South American populations proves that European men mated with Native females and created conditions that prevented native males passing on their genes.

What do you think Israel can do? You think they can forcibly shove out the Palestinians in the West Bank? What about the Palestinians within Israel proper, how do you think Jewish Israelis are going to force them out? Do you really think the world is going to allow Israel to force such large number of people out. I think you are deluding yourself in your assessment of Israeli power.

The Arabs within Israel's borders are apart of its population and number about 1.5 million and are not overly a threat. Many Arab Israelis serve in the IDF and there are Christian Arabs serving in IDF as well.

1) Non-Israeli citizens which largely means Palestinians (I am excluding Arab Israelis who identify as Palestinian). Are not in Israel proper and won't ever be.

2) I believe the world under a Trump administration with GOP support, (most powerful country on earth) would support Israel's actions. And id argue that Russia wouldn't care and would abstain from any vote in the UN (given Israel and Russia's increasingly close ties and the large number of mutual interests and times that Putin has met with Israeli leaders, and hint hint it is far more than Obama ever did).

And I don't believe that the largest powers of the world today would actually care much, the Chinese are not pro-Islam or Muslim and don't care about Palestine. Russia doesn't care, and the USA doesn't either now. The UK government is now conservative and I believe with U.S. leadership would stand behind Israel. I'd also argue that the rising influence of Islamic extremism in Europe and across the world will sooner or later change peoples feelings and create sympathy for Israel amongst non-Muslims. It is only a matter of time anyways. And they would remove them by sending in the military to round people up.

Oh and the potential gains by right wing parties in Europe could also be good for Israel as many right-wing parties like Geert Wilders party understands the dangers of radical Islam and is staunchly pro Israel.

Just like the U.S. can invade Iraq and nobody in the world does anything. Ultimately a lot rests on what side the USA backs.

Trudeau is a bitch and you know damn well that Canada will do America's bidding in the International scene just like many other countries do.

Just like the U.S. can invade Iraq and nobody in the world does anything. Ultimately a lot rests on what side the USA backs.

Trudeau is a bitch and you know damn well that Canada will do America's bidding in the International scene just like many other countries do.
The US did not settle Iraq though and did not wage ethnic cleansing and genocide. Even the US backing Israel won't help here but I do not think the US will ever back Israeli ethnic cleansing of Palestinians. That is crossing a redline.

The Arabs within Israel's borders are apart of its population and number about 1.5 million and are not overly a threat. Many Arab Israelis serve in the IDF and there are Christian Arabs serving in IDF as well.

1) Non-Israeli citizens which largely means Palestinians (I am excluding Arab Israelis who identify as Palestinian). Are not in Israel proper and won't ever be.

2) I believe the world under a Trump administration with GOP support, (most powerful country on earth) would support Israel's actions. And id argue that Russia wouldn't care and would abstain from any vote in the UN (given Israel and Russia's increasingly close ties and the large number of mutual interests and times that Putin has met with Israeli leaders, and hint hint it is far more than Obama ever did).

And I don't believe that the largest powers of the world today would actually care much, the Chinese are not pro-Islam or Muslim and don't care about Palestine. Russia doesn't care, and the USA doesn't either now. The UK government is now conservative and I believe with U.S. leadership would stand behind Israel. I'd also argue that the rising influence of Islamic extremism in Europe and across the world will sooner or later change peoples feelings and create sympathy for Israel amongst non-Muslims. It is only a matter of time anyways. And they would remove them by sending in the military to round people up.

Oh and the potential gains by right wing parties in Europe could also be good for Israel as many right-wing parties like Geert Wilders party understands the dangers of radical Islam and is staunchly pro Israel.
Those Palestinians within Israel proper are still PARTIAL to the Palestinian struggle, if not why are Israelis soo obsessed with Palestinian Israeli birthrates.

How many Arab Israelis? Are you lumping in the Druze? There are Bedouin units but the numbers are still insignificant.

Wilders is right about Islam but he is a hypocrite on Israel, probably because he is partly Jewish.

The Kurds better not be fucking idiots and blow something up until then. Keep things calm so people can savor the bitter taste of Erdogan's new Turkey before they vote.

Erdogan just might be shrewd enough to ensure there would be an incident before the vote.

Erdogan just might be shrewd enough to ensure there would be an incident before the vote.
Perhaps. That said, the Kurds are actually an important constituency for him as they tend to be more religious. However, with the recent crackdown on the Kurdish Party and the tension with Syrian Kurds perhaps enough defect to hurt his chances of success here. I hope so.

As I said in another thread, its a real shame what he's doing. Personally I think the military is a great cancer in the politics of the region and he could've been a shining example of how to put them in their place for the purpose of a true democratic and freer system. And even after the coup I have heard that most of Turkish society rallied behind him, not unlike what happened after 9/11 in the US. It could've been a golden opportunity to unify the country but instead he...well, you know if this thread is any indication.

The US did not settle Iraq though and did not wage ethnic cleansing and genocide. Even the US backing Israel won't help here but I do not think the US will ever back Israeli ethnic cleansing of Palestinians. That is crossing a redline.

Any ethnic cleansing would surely happen during a war in which case it might be justifiable. I am not saying they will just outright just do it tomorrow without any reason.

And we will agree to disagree I suppose. Cause I still don't ever buy into the belief that Israeli leadership would ever self-destruct itself via allowing Palestinians to become citizens or live in Israel's proper borders (you know territory behind the walls and fences that aren't in the West Bank).

Those Palestinians within Israel proper are still PARTIAL to the Palestinian struggle, if not why are Israelis soo obsessed with Palestinian Israeli birthrates.

How many Arab Israelis? Are you lumping in the Druze? There are Bedouin units but the numbers are still insignificant.

Wilders is right about Islam but he is a hypocrite on Israel, probably because he is partly Jewish.

Wilders is part Jewish? Didn't know that.

Any ethnic cleansing would surely happen during a war in which case it might be justifiable. I am not saying they will just outright just do it tomorrow without any reason.

And we will agree to disagree I suppose. Cause I still don't ever buy into the belief that Israeli leadership would ever self-destruct itself via allowing Palestinians to become citizens or live in Israel's proper borders (you know territory behind the walls and fences that aren't in the West Bank).

Wilders is part Jewish? Didn't know that.
If ethnic cleansing is justified in war then the Nazi holocaust is justified too, since the later was a war too.

Problem for the Israelis is that the Palestinians don't have the means to wage war and none of the Arab nations will either. So Israel is deprived of the War excuse.

Perhaps. That said, the Kurds are actually an important constituency for him as they tend to be more religious. However, with the recent crackdown on the Kurdish Party and the tension with Syrian Kurds perhaps enough defect to hurt his chances of success here. I hope so.

As I said in another thread, its a real shame what he's doing. Personally I think the military is a great cancer in the politics of the region and he could've been a shining example of how to put them in their place for the purpose of a true democratic and freer system. And even after the coup I have heard that most of Turkish society rallied behind him, not unlike what happened after 9/11 in the US. It could've been a golden opportunity to unify the country but instead he...well, you know if this thread is any indication.

What makes you think Erdogan has ever wanted democracy, on any level?

What makes you think Erdogan has ever wanted democracy, on any level?
Well he kept winning, winning, winning elections so its not like he has to dismantle it to stay in power. But yeah, he was quoted as saying "Democracy is like a train, when you get to your stop you get off"

Turkey referendum: More rallies banned in Europe
10 March 2017

_95109784_038350162-1.jpg

Officials in several European countries have stopped mass rallies by top Turkish politicians to attract support for a constitutional referendum.

The mayor of Rotterdam said Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu could not campaign in the Dutch port because of security concerns.

Meetings in Austria and Switzerland have also been banned.

Recent cancellations in Germany led Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to accuse Berlin of "Nazi practices".

The comments drew a sharp response from German leaders, with Chancellor Angela Merkel describing the comparison as "unacceptable".

Mr Erdogan is seeking new powers in the 16 April vote.

He is targeting millions of expatriate voters eligible to cast a ballot in the referendum - including 1.4 million in Germany.

Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb said the owner of the hall that had been scheduled to hold Mr Cavusoglu's event in the city on Saturday had withdrawn authorisation, but the foreign minister could still visit.

"He has diplomatic immunity and everything so we will treat him with respect, but we have other instruments to prohibit things happening in public spaces," he said, quoted by Reuters news agency.

There was also uncertainty about whether an event he was due to attend in Zurich, Switzerland, on Sunday would go ahead after one venue refused to hold it.

Another event in Zurich scheduled for Friday and featuring a senior official was cancelled, as well as rallies in the Austrian towns of Hoerbranz, Linz and Herzogenburg.

The Dutch and Austrian governments have also criticised the Turkish government's drive to take its referendum campaign to Turks based in EU countries.

Relations between Turkey and European countries have deteriorated since last July's attempted coup in Turkey. Germany has been critical of the mass arrests and purges that followed - with nearly 100,000 civil servants removed from their posts and academics among the latest.

Many European nations have expressed deep disquiet about Turkey's response to the coup attempt and its perceived slide towards authoritarianism under President Erdogan.

Turkey is a key partner in an arrangement attempting to limit the movement of migrants into the EU, but has threatened to "open the gates" if the EU reneges on commitments to provide aid, visa-free travel for its nationals and accelerated membership talks.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39238618

Netherlands cancels Turkish foreign minister’s visit in spiraling feud between Europe and Turkey
By Kareem Fahim
March 11, 2017

2017-03-11T111846Z_1794246566_RC1F4BB41510_RTRMADP_3_TURKEY-EUROPE-NETHERLANDS-3818.jpg

ISTANBUL — The Dutch government on Saturday prevented Turkey’s foreign minister from visiting the Netherlands to address Turkish voters there, in a breach of diplomatic protocol that reflected sharply worsening tensions between Turkey and Europe.

The Dutch government said in a statement it had decided to withdraw landing rights for the foreign minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu, because of the “risks to public order and security” that a visit by him would pose. Earlier Saturday, Cavusoglu had warned that Turkey would impose “sanctions” on the Netherlands if his flight was canceled, according to local Turkish media.

Reacting later in the day to the cancellation, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called the Dutch “Nazi remnants” and “fascists” and suggested that Dutch diplomats would be prevented from traveling to Turkey.

The intense diplomatic arguments highlighted the extraordinary heat generated by an upcoming referendum in Turkey on a number of constitutional amendments that could transform its system of government and vastly expand Erdogan’s powers. In the run-up to the referendum, set for April 16, several European nations, including the Netherlands and Germany, have canceled appearances by Turkish ministers supporting Erdogan as the ministers try to sway Turkish voters in the diaspora.

The Turkish campaign is coinciding with a fraught election season in Europe that has seen a surge in popularity for right-wing, anti-immigration candidates. Nationalist or anti-Muslim politicians such as Geert Wilders in the Netherlands have called for Turkish politicians to be barred from campaigning in their countries — adding to the pressure on European leaders to accommodate such sentiments.

Wilders, whose Freedom Party is expected to be a leading vote-getter in the Dutch election set for Wednesday, appeared to relish the spat Saturday between his government and Turkey’s. On Twitter, he demanded the expulsion of the Turkish ambassador and the recall of the Dutch ambassador in Ankara.

“Oh yes,” he added in another tweet. “I say it to all Turks in the Netherlands who agree with Erdogan: GO back to Turkey and NEVER come back.”

The breach in relations with the Netherlands comes as Turkey and Germany are engaged in a similarly bitter dispute that could threaten a European Union deal with Ankara to stem the flow of migrants — a critical issue in Germany, where more than 1 million asylum seekers have arrived over the past two years.

As the arguments grow more bad-tempered, Erdogan could stand to benefit from a perception that European countries have been trying to interfere in Turkey’s election. On Saturday, as news of the foreign minister’s canceled visit reached Turkey, a hashtag in Turkish caught fire: “NazipracticeinHolland.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...c2c8ba-0655-11e7-a391-651727e77fc0_story.html

Last edited:
Turkey's president: 'Nazism is alive in the West'
Oren Dorell and John Bacon
March 12, 2017

636249243659950800-AFP-AFP-ML5AA.jpg

Protesters wave flags and give a four-fingered salute that shows solidarity with the Muslim Brotherhood during a protest in front of the Dutch consulate on March 12, 2017 in Istanbul.

ISTANBUL, Turkey — Europe has been stripped of its mask and its real face is one of "fascism, racism and Islamophobia," Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Sunday.

Erdogan, speaking at a rally in support of constitutional changes that would tighten his grip on power, expressed anger at recent bans on speeches planned by Turkish ministers in Germany and the Netherlands. The ministers have been pressing Erdogan's case to Turkish expats in Europe ahead of a crucial April 16 referendum on the changes, and increasing pushback from European leaders has caused tensions to rise.

"The West has thrown off its mask in the past days," Erdogan said Sunday. "I have said that I had thought Nazism was over, but that I was wrong. Nazism is alive in the West."

On Saturday, the Dutch government canceled Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu's flight permit to the Netherlands, then refused to allow a convoy carrying Turkish Family Minister Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya to enter the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam, instead ushering her to the German border.

"Democracy, fundamental rights, human rights and freedoms... All forgotten in Rotterdam tonight. Merely tyranny and oppression," she tweeted.

Several dozen people, some waving red Turkish flags, gathered Sunday in a cold drizzle outside the Dutch consulate here to denounce the treatment of Turks in the Netherlands.

"They want to divide us so we need to be united, hand in hand," said Nimet Ceylán, one of several speakers. "We have to tell the (Turkish) state, what they did to you we have to do the same to them."

"Junkie Holland," the crowd chanted. "Damn Holland" and "Allahu Akbar (God is great)!"

Among the mostly male demonstrators were several women wearing hijabs. They raised their hands in a four-fingered salute that has come to represent Islamic solidarity after Egypt's brutal crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood in 2013.

Half or more of the width of Istiklal (Freedom) Street, the cobblestoned pedestrian walkway where the consulate resides, was blocked by police barricades. Buses blocked most of the consulate gate and a squad of police officers in body armor and bearing shields stood in formation across from the chanters.

The street, which is lined with cafes and stores that sell leather goods, clothing, trinkets and pastries is usually a tourist destination that links Taksim Square with Galata Tower, two other popular tourist sites. But on Sunday, the police vans parked across the way, and a phalanx of uniformed guards frisking all passersby appeared to have discouraged most foreigners.

A few blocks down the road, at the Kitabevi Cafe, other Istanbulians sipped coffee or jasmine tea and listened to jazzy pop music as they perused bookshelves lined with volumes in Turkish and German, not interested in the ruckus up the street.

"Protest, no problem," said customer Ceniz Chiftcioglu. "I don't care."

Last week, Turkish ministers were barred from holding public rallies in two German cities. Erdogan accused Germany of "Nazi practices," an accusation that drew a sharp rebuke from German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

On Sunday, Denmark Prime Minister Lars Loekke Rasmussen said he asked Turkish counterpart Binali Yildirim to postpone a planned visit because of “tensions” between Ankara and the Netherlands, the Associated Press reported. Local French officials in Metz however, agreed to allow a rally there, saying it did not pose a threat to public safety. That drew a nod from Erdogan, who thanked France for not "getting involved in such games."

Dutch leaders say the Turkish rallies could increase tensions days before Dutch elections Wednesday that have drawn international attention. Populist Geert Wilders and his far-right Freedom Party, which has pledged to end Muslim immigration, close the nation's mosques and ban the Koran, have shown polling strength.

Hundreds of thousands of Dutch citizens have Turkish roots and could have voting rights in both nations. Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said Sunday that he would attempt to repair relations with Erdogan and Turkey. Erdogan said Turkey would watch the election results and decide on its future relationship with the Netherlands, the Turkish Anadolu news agency reported.

"If you are sacrificing Turkish-Dutch relations for an election, you will pay the price," Erdogan warned. He said countries that ban his ministers against Turkey would soon "learn what international diplomacy is."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...bars-turkish-ministers-plane-landing/99086726

Dutch row worsens Europe’s Turkey tensions
After Turkish foreign minister was barred from the Netherlands, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan calls Dutch “Nazi remnants and fascists.”
By Esther King
3/12/17

h_53111204-714x453.jpg

Turkey’s relations with the EU are going from bad to worse, following a diplomatic tussle with the Netherlands this weekend that has led to recriminations and public protests.

Dutch authorities on Saturday barred Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu from landing in Rotterdam after a political rally at which he was slated to appear was canceled.

After Saturday’s diplomatic incident Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said: “Nazism is still widespread in the West.”

Speaking at an awards ceremony in Istanbul on Sunday, Erdogan said: “I thought Nazism was dead but I was wrong … the West has shown its true face.”

Commenting on the Netherland’s decision to prohibit his foreign minister’s plane from landing the president said: “If you can sacrifice Turkish—Dutch relations for an election on Wednesday, you will pay the price.”

Austria, Germany and the Netherlands have voiced displeasure that the Turkish referendum — over constitutional amendments designed to consolidate Erdoğan’s already formidable powers — was being debated within their borders.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim issued a statement on Sunday that the country would “retaliate” against the Netherlands. “This situation has been protested in the strongest manner by our side, and it has been conveyed to Dutch authorities that there will be retaliation in the harshest ways … we will respond in kind to this unacceptable behaviour,” Reuters quoted him as saying.

Twelve people were arrested Sunday morning during a protest outside the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam related to the Dutch decision to keep Turkey’s ministers from campaigning in the country.

The Dutch government said Saturday it had denied entry to Çavuşoğlu over “risks to public order and security,” the AP reported. On Friday, the owner of the venue booked for the political rally had withdrawn authorization. Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb said in a statement he would have done the same.

The country’s Turkish population “are not your captives,” Çavuşoğlu warned the Netherlands in an interview with CNN Turk earlier on Saturday. “I sent them so they could contribute to your economy.”

Turkey, he added, would respond with economic and political sanctions if he was refused entry.

The threat made it impossible to come to a reasonable solution, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said. “This morning on TV [the Turkish minister] made clear he was threatening the Netherlands with sanctions and we can never negotiate with the Turks under such threats. So we decided…in a conference call it was better for him not to come.”

Several German municipalities canceled similar political events last week, barring Turkish officials from rallying support among the country’s Turkish population, some 1.4 million of whom are eligible to vote in the upcoming referendum. The decision drew ire from Erdoğan, who accused the country of “Nazi practices.”

German Chancellor Angela Merkel cautioned that, while the comments were “sad” and “misplaced,” Europe could not afford to alienate Turkey. “As unacceptable as some things are, it can’t be in our foreign and geopolitical interest to distance ourselves from Turkey,” Merkel told the Bundestag Friday.

German and Dutch bans on campaigns for a “yes” vote in the April referendum are a signal that Europe is “taking a side for a ‘no’ vote,” Çavuşoğlu said.

Meanwhile, Çavuşoğlu participated in a public meeting in the French city of Metz on Sunday and said the “retaliation against the Dutch would continue until they apologize.”

The public get-together was green-lighted by French authorities who said there was “no proven threat to public order” so there was no reason to prohibit the meeting, according to a report by Reuters. France also urged Turkey and a number of EU countries to “de-escalate” tensions.

“It also calls on the Turkish authorities to avoid excesses and provocations,” the French foreign ministry said in a statement quoted by Reuters.

Rutte said it would do everything possible to “de-escalate the tensions,” which he described as the worst in recent years. The idea of apologizing, however, was “bizarre,” he said.

http://www.politico.eu/article/europes-relations-with-turkey-go-from-bad-to-worse/

Tensions rising between Turkish, European leaders before elections
By Eliott C. McLaughlin and Jay Croft, CNN
Sun March 12, 2017

170311182933-01-rotterdam-protests-turkey-exlarge-169.jpg

Supporters of Turkey's president wave flags outside the Dutch consulate in Istanbul on Sunday.
Turkey and the Netherlands' diplomatic feud deepened Sunday with the Turkish president accusing the NATO ally of fascism and Denmark joining the fray, decrying "rhetorical attacks against the Netherlands."

Upcoming votes in Turkey and the Netherlands serve as a backdrop for the dispute: In Turkey, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has cracked down on opposition -- particularly journalists, academics and the public service sector -- since a July coup attempt, is pushing an April referendum that would expand his powers. In the Netherlands, this week's general elections will pit a hardline anti-Islam candidate in a tight race against the incumbent prime minister.

Erdogan is keen to rally the roughly 4.6 million expatriate Turks living in Western Europe, many of whom will be permitted to vote in the Turkish referendum.

Following similar moves in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, the Netherlands on Satuday barred a plane carrying Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu from entering the country, citing security concerns. Cavusoglu sought to address expats in support of the Turkish referendum. The Dutch also stopped Turkey's family affairs minister from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.

Protests broke out in both countries, and Erdogan responded by saying the Netherlands is "sacrificing Turkish-Dutch relations" and accused the country -- which lost more than 200,000 of its citizens during Germany's World War II occupation -- of Nazism. Rotterdam, where Cavusoglu hoped to speak, was especially hard hit by the Nazis.

Power grab or democracy?
Next month, Turkish voters will cast ballots in a constitutional referendum that could change their government structure. If passed, it would transform the country's parliamentary system into a presidential one, effectively consolidating the power of three legislative bodies into one executive branch under Erdogan.

Critics call the move anti-democratic and say it's indicative of Erdogan's drift toward authoritarian rule since the coup attempt eight months ago. Erdogan and his Justice and Development Party, or AKP, ministers have said those who oppose it stand with the coup plotters and terrorists.
Cavusoglu has promised tenfold retaliation against the Netherlands, while Erdogan has likened the country to a "banana republic" and called for sanctions, according to the state-run Anadolu Agency

A Turkish diplomatic source told Anadolu that Dutch diplomatic missions in Ankara and Istanbul had been closed off due to security concerns. Meanwhile, the agency reported, the Turkish Foreign Ministry has told the Dutch ambassador, who is presently on leave out of the country, he need "not return for a while."

'Reflections of Islamophobia'

The Netherlands isn't the first nation Erdogan has accused of Nazism. Germany, too, became a target of Erdogan's Nazi comparisons after canceling Turkish rallies on its soil this month. Some 1.5 million Turkish nationals living in Germany are eligible to vote in the referendum, according to Anadolu.
"I thought Nazism was over but I was wrong," Erdogan said at the International Goodness Awards in Istanbul on Sunday. "What we saw in the last couple of days in Germany and Netherlands are the reflections of Islamophobia." Turkey is overwhelmingly Sunni Muslim.

Chancellor Angela Merkel issued a sharp rebuke, saying such comparisons serve only to belittle Nazi crimes.

German-Turkish relations have been on a downslide of late. Among the incidents chipping away at the countries' security and economic partnership was last month's arrest of Die Welt journalist Deniz Yucel on terrorism charges, and Turkey bristled last year when Germany's parliament declared the 1915 massacre of hundreds of thousands of Armenians "genocide."

European governments have been especially critical of Erdogan's commitment to basic freedoms since the coup. The country jailed more journalists than any other country in 2016, according to the Committee to Protect Journalists. Also, nearly 140 media outlets have been shuttered, more than 41,000 people have been arrested and about 100,000 workers have been dismissed from public service positions.

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter interrupted during uprising

Affording Turkey some leverage in the international spat is its key role in a Syrian migrant deal in which Turkey will resettle one refugee for every refugee resettled in Europe. In November, responding to European Union freezing EU membership talks with Turkey, Erdogan threatened, "If you go too far, the border gates will be opened," according to Anadolu.

Danes side with Netherlands

Amid Sunday's diplomatic turmoil, Danish Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen postponed a yet-to-be-scheduled visit from his Turkish counterpart.
"Under normal circumstances it would be a pleasure for me to greet Prime Minister (Binali) Yildirim in Copenhagen," Rasmussen said. "But with the current rhetorical attacks by Turkey against the Netherlands, a new meeting cannot be seen isolated from that."

The Danish government is observing developments in Turkey "with great concern as democratic principles are under considerable pressure," he said.
"A meeting right now would be interpreted as if Denmark is viewing developments in Turkey more mildly, which is not at all the case."
The prime minister's office said Danish representatives and Turkish officials had been discussing the possible meeting for several weeks. It would have been scheduled for later this month in Denmark.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/12/europe/turkish-dutch-tensions-increase/

Back