TUF 25: Redemption, Ep. 9 Discussion

round 1 was a virtual draw.
round 2 was way more decisive in Gilbert's favor.
round 3 was another draw.

So even though Gilbert did more he loses the even rounds and thus the fight...

Another example showing us why the boxing rule set is not applicable to mma.

We know who's fighting so we just going to past all our picks for the quarters in one go?

Lima
Taylor
Krause

I'll go even further than that and say Krause is a lock for the finale vs either Lima or Hayder (even though I like Jesse).

Can't believe ANYONE here thinks Gilbert won both rounds 1 & 2. It was close, but Lima easily won round 3. I have no idea what you guys are smoking.

Such an interesting fight.

I'm kind of shocked that people gave Gilbert the first 2 rounds. In the end, I actually had it 30-27 Lima, with 2 being basically a toss-up imo.

That was a fun scrap.

Gilbert's speech at the end and everyone coming together.....<mma1>

Injury? Damn. I wonder who will get another chance? Gilbert would be perfect choice after his performance this season.

Gilbert being last pick in INSANE in hindsight. Dude is a serious competitor. Shouldn't have been a 3rd round (IMO) but Gilbert won the 3rd round anyways (IMO)

Dont mean to be a hater, but I really cant see Lima making any waves if he winds up in the UFC. Low striking power, really easy to hit, and average at best in his TDD and ground game is not exactly a recipe for success.

Gilbert won the first rounds, feel sorry for the guy.

Injury? Damn. I wonder who will get another chance? Gilbert would be perfect choice after his performance this season.

No way he's retired - I hope Nuñez gets another chance, he's got some solid talent.

Assuming it's Krause, then Nijem might immediately come in to replace him after losing.

dunno how anyone gives Gilbert rd 3 as he was defensive the entire round. I would have given him rds 1 and 2 though and was shocked that it went to Sudden Victory.

Gilbert being last pick in INSANE in hindsight. Dude is a serious competitor. Shouldn't have been a 3rd round (IMO) but Gilbert won the 3rd round anyways (IMO)

Dont mean to be a hater, but I really cant see Lima making any waves if he winds up in the UFC. Low striking power, really easy to hit, and average at best in his TDD and ground game is not exactly a recipe for success.

Wasn't Edwards last pick?

How in the world do people think Gilbert won round 3? He had his back taken and when he managed to reverse was stuck in a deep triangle. He didn't really do anything of note and was nearly finished twice.

Good scrap.

Scored the first for Lima, second for Gilbert and 3rd was clear for Lima. Right guy won but very close fight indeed.

Kinda funny that Gilbery pulled a Rumble/Lewis. I think he is wrong though, they are still a lot of fights for him at regional MMA and maybe even on Fight Pass Prelims. There are a lot worse fighters in the UFC right now. He is a solid fighter, he would be a good gatekeeper for entering top 15.

Shit close round. I was leaning toward Lima until Smith got full mount and unloaded some punishment on Lima, that could have barely swung the round to him

Think Gilbert stole that round. Gilbert's strikes at the end were by far the most effective strikes of the round.

Should be 2-0 Gilbert, but the first was really close. From how the 2nd went I expect Gilbert to get the 3rd.

No clue how the judges are going to score this. I'd have it 30-27 Gilbert though.

Close fight, but the wrong guy got the decision.

round 1 was a virtual draw.
round 2 was way more decisive in Gilbert's favor.
round 3 was another draw.

So even though Gilbert did more he loses the even rounds and thus the fight...

Another example showing us why the boxing rule set is not applicable to mma.

Gilbert won the first rounds, feel sorry for the guy.

Damn I'm a little late here but I just caught up on the dvr.

Had it like almost everybody it seems, 30-27 Gilbert on damage.

I thought the ground and pound took it in the first. I like how Dana said nothing really landed. And he said Lima landed viscous elbow and hammerfists, then the replay showed them missing.

Then I thought he clearly won 2 and 3 with the straight left on the feet. The way Gilbert is built, and how tired they were, i never thought the triangle was threatening. Gotta respect the attitude afterwards when he basically got robbed.

True. I wish they would mix things up and not make it so obvious how long the fight is going to last. When there is 30 mins left in the show and the fight is already happening you know there won't be an early finish.

I make it a point to not look at how much time is left.

I had it for Gilbert in the first two and in the last. Lima didn't land that much, Gilbert landed more. Limas triangle didn't look deep to me, at least not from the angles we got to see it from.

Back