Elections Trump wants a billion dollars from oil for election. Promises them an easy time if elected .

Except several corporations rode shortages they weren't experiencing to inflate their prices because they could.

Not profiteering?
No. If you have a surge in demand and you don't have a matching surge in supply, you either have price increases or shortages (think about it).

Remember also that companies collectively always want to maximize revenue. What keeps price increases in check normally is fear that reduced volume will outbalance the benefits of higher unit prices.

And you are clearly not at all capable of noticing the pattern of the same people falling for every single fake story day after day for like 10 years.

As the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me day after day for a decade, the bad orange man is a jerk
Again, no sign at all that this is fake. And what fake story do you think people who aren't Republican partisans have fallen for?

No. If you have a surge in demand and you don't have a matching surge in supply, you either have price increases or shortages (think about it).

Remember also that companies collectively always want to maximize revenue. What keeps price increases in check normally is fear that reduced volume will outbalance the benefits of higher unit prices.

Maximizing revenue can still be profiteering.

We had an ice storm here in Quebec years ago and a lot of people were without power for weeks in February, which is a big deal here (-30C). Some locations were still able to prepare food, and so they did so at an enormous price increase (Burger King especially).

Immediately following the ice storm laws were put in place to prevent that from ever happening again. Anti-profiteering laws.

This is exactly what happened in the pandemic, many places were forced to increase prices due to supply chain issues but corporations not effected increased their prices because they could get away with it.

I get what you're saying about companies always maximizing revenues but maybe as a Canadian I'm used to a country that actually gives a shit about it's citizens; corporate responsibility during a disaster is important.

Maximizing revenue can still be profiteering.

We had an ice storm here in Quebec years ago and a lot of people were without power for weeks in February, which is a big deal here (-30C). Some locations were still able to prepare food, and so they did so at an enormous price increase (Burger King especially).

Immediately following the ice storm laws were put in place to prevent that from ever happening again. Anti-profiteering laws.

This is exactly what happened in the pandemic, many places were forced to increase prices due to supply chain issues but corporations not effected increased their prices because they could get away with it.

I get what you're saying about companies always maximizing revenues but maybe as a Canadian I'm used to a country that actually gives a shit about it's citizens; corporate responsibility during a disaster is important.
We have laws against that kind of thing, but that's a different situation (short-term surge for essentials). What we're talking about during the brief period of very high inflation was just adjustment issues (and we're talking about a time when people had a lot of money to spend).

I don't think there's any moral difference between companies in Canada and the U.S. There are evolutionary pressures that force companies that aren't thinking about their bottom lines out of existence.

We have laws against that kind of thing, but that's a different situation (short-term surge for essentials). What we're talking about during the brief period of very high inflation was just adjustment issues (and we're talking about a time when people had a lot of money to spend).

I don't think there's any moral difference between companies in Canada and the U.S. There are evolutionary pressures that force companies that aren't thinking about their bottom lines out of existence.
I think that second last sentence is a more than a bit surprising. The moral difference, if there is one, would presumably originate from the regulatory regime and not from the companies themselves, don't you think?

I think that second last sentence is a more than a bit surprising. The moral difference, if there is one, would presumably originate from the regulatory regime and not from the companies themselves, don't you think?

You are a confused mess lol. Do you know who talks like you? Women. Are you sure your name isn't Andrea?

He is such a trashbag and they are scum

I don't know that there is a big difference in that regard, but I wouldn't say that equally rational (and profit-driven) responses to different environments indicate moral differences among impersonal entities. I do think if we want different outcomes, we want to change incentive structures.

Allegedly, according to sources close to the story, according to experts familiar with the situation.

How many times have we heard this shit?
Well yeah obviously what I said there only holds if the allegations are true.

If your argument is that you're skeptical that it happened that is one thing but if it did happen I would argue its outside the norms of typical American politics.

Or he could just get his son a job at a Eukranian company maybe?
Do the 10% big guy thing
Dumbass thinking too small with that alleged yearly salary.
Real players get unelected monarchs to “invest” a billion dollars with your no experience, money losing son in law.
When you’re famous and in power, you can just let them grab buy your pussy.

Last edited:
Well yeah obviously what I said there only holds if the allegations are true.

If your argument is that you're skeptical that it happened that is one thing but if it did happen I would argue its outside the norms of typical American politics.

Agreed. Although it's pretty similar to the current situation, just without the smoke and mirrors to cover it up and make it legal, I'd assume this kind of talk/deal would be straight up illegal.

Likely the first politician in history to make promises based off contributions. Never before done.

This will be representative democracys legacy in the history books.

This.

The only surprising element is, as always, how tactless and crude Trump is.
The both sides here is not honest. Its tribalism as cynicism. Saying both sides washes trumps corruption as just normal. Its why they tried so hard to make biden as bad trump. So they can say biden is as bad or worse. Trump is uniquely corrupt. Worse than nixon. Nixon didnt have right wing radio and media to turn peoples brains into mush like trump. Its why the country wont turn on trump like nixon. His corruption wasnt normalized. :

Back