Trump federal judge nominee...,future of courts?

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
http://beta.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-judge-20171110-story.html

Brett J. Talley, President Trump’s nominee to be a federal judge in Alabama, has never tried a case, was unanimously rated “not qualified” by the American Bar Assn.’s judicial rating committee, has practiced law for only three years and was approved by senate panel.

When Trump took office, there were more than 100 vacant seats on the federal courts, thanks to an unprecedented slowdown engineered by McConnell during the final two years of President Obama’s term.

Did the Republicans drag their feet to put in judges with these type of qualifications?

I've been an attorney for twice as long and am younger, too. Sign me up!!

This is absurd. But it is Alabama. The guy will probably look normal when one's go to comparison is Roy Moore.

Last edited:
I've been an attorney for twice as young and am younger, too. Sign me up!!

This is absurd. But it is Alabama. The guy will probably look normal when one's go to comparison is Roy Moore.

I am younger and have been at this several times as long to. While I appreciate the guys politics in would be a nightmare being in front of him for the first couple years. You would need to spell out literally everything for the guy. I prefer to have a conversation when I am in trial court rather than aggressive advocacy. You can't do that if the judge is not familiar with the law.

http://beta.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-judge-20171110-story.html

Brett J. Talley, President Trump’s nominee to be a federal judge in Alabama, has never tried a case, was unanimously rated “not qualified” by the American Bar Assn.’s judicial rating committee, has practiced law for only three years and was approved by senate panel.

When Trump took office, there were more than 100 vacant seats on the federal courts, thanks to an unprecedented slowdown engineered by McConnell during the final two years of President Obama’s term.

Did the Republicans drag their feet to put in judges with these type of qualifications?

Trump's judicial appointments are the #1 reason I am rooting for him. Over the long run, there is little that could damage us more than the appointment of large numbers of activist/expansionist judges to the federal judiciary.

Sure, you can focus on the most unqualified nominee that Trump has put forward. But why not zone in on the big boys and girls: the eight appellate judges who have actually been confirmed under Trump. Are you going to quibble with their credentials? All of them have clerked for prominent textualist judges, have graduated from top schools, and have served on courts including the federal district courts and state supreme courts.

It seems you are missing the forest for the trees here, and I suspect tribalism is to blame for it.

Last edited:
I am younger and have been at this several times as long to. While I appreciate the guys politics in would be a nightmare being in front of him for the first couple years. You would need to spell out literally everything for the guy. I prefer to have a conversation when I am in trial court rather than aggressive advocacy. You can't do that if the judge is not familiar with the law.

Those poor clerks...

Trump's judicial appointments are the #1 reason I am rooting for him. Over the long run, there is little that could damage us more than the appointment of large numbers of activist/expansionist judges to the federal judiciary.

Sure, you can focus on the most unqualified nominee that Trump has put forward. But why not zone in on the big boys and girls: the eight appellate judges who have actually been confirmed under Trump. Are you going to quibble with their credentials? Most of them have clerked for prominent textualist judges and have graduated from top schools.

It seems you are missing the forest for the trees here, and I suspect tribalism is to blame for it.

If his other picks were so great, what stopped him from finding more qualified applicants from the same fields? Why go with a guy who is absurdly unqualified? I thought he hired the best people for the job.

If his other picks were so great, what stopped him from finding more qualified applicants from the same fields? Why go with a guy who is absurdly unqualified? I thought he hired the best people for the job.

I never wrote that Trump "hired the best people for the job". However, he is filling the federal appellate courts with highly qualified textualist jurists at an almost-unprecedented pace.

It's pretty telling that @jeffk felt the need to make an attack thread about the appointment to a lowly District Court position of a Harvard Law graduate who has clerked for a respected appellate judge.

Edit: I think "lowly" was too strong here, but in my view SCOTUS and the appellate courts are vastly more important that the district courts.

Last edited:

Because this is Luther Strange's guy this is Trump paying back Strange for his support.

I never wrote that Trump "hired the best people for the job". However, he is filling the federal appellate courts with highly qualified textualist jurists at an almost-unprecedented pace.

It's pretty telling that @jeffk felt the need to make an attack thread about the appointment to a lowly District Court position of a Harvard Law graduate who has clerked for a respected appellate judge.

He won approval by the Senate to be a FEDERAL judge.....

I like all of Trump's Circuit Court picks but let's be honest here a district court judge has a lot of power. There are a lot of ways for trial judges to influence the record or drag out litigation to influence how appellate review turns out. Federal judges of all shapes are extremely powerful people.

Then why did you say it was not a big deal that this kid got approved to be some district judge? especially, why do this when it is obvious that the only reason this guy was proposed in the first place was because of the support for Trump from Luther Strange?

I like all of Trump's Circuit Court picks but let's be honest here a district court judge has a lot of power. There are a lot of ways for trial judges to influence the record or drag out litigation to influence how appellate review turns out. Federal judges of all shapes are extremely powerful people.

I'm looking at the big picture and the long run of power dynamics in our country. The primary guardians against excessive aggregation of federal power are the appellate courts and SCOTUS. It's fine to criticize an appointment to a district court on the grounds that the best guy didn't get the job, but overall Trump's judicial appointments to the courts that matter most have been outstanding.

Look at the the thread title: "Trump federal judge nominee...,future of courts?" @jeffk is missing the forest for the trees.

Then why did you say it was not a big deal that this kid got approved to be some district judge? especially, why do this when it is obvious that the only reason this guy was proposed in the first place was because of the support for Trump from Luther Strange?
"this kid"...

Brett%20Talley.jpg

<45><45>

"this kid"...

Brett%20Talley.jpg

<45><45>

In the life of a lawyer/judge, he's a baby. Dont you think it's pretty obvious, since he is nowhere near qualified to be a federal judge, that this is Donald Trump paying Luther Strange back? Way to pretend as if he is being promoted to some low level judge position, not on the federal level, though.

In the life of a lawyer/judge, he's a baby. Dont you think it's pretty obvious, since he is nowhere near qualified to be a federal judge, that this is Donald Trump paying Luther Strange back? Way to pretend as if he is being promoted to some low level judge position, not on the federal level, though.
Not sure why you get to decide what it means to be "qualified" to be a federal judge. There are no specific qualifications laid out in the Constitution or in federal law. That said, there probably were better choices and I wouldn't be surprised if the appointment was done for the reason you described.

SCOTUS and the appellate courts are much more important, and by that measure Trump is doing a marvelous job. That's why this thread is misleading.

Not sure why you get to decide what it means to be "qualified" to be a federal judge. There are no specific qualifications laid out in the Constitution or in federal law. That said, there probably were better choices and I wouldn't be surprised if the appointment was done for the reason you described.

SCOTUS and the appellate courts are much more important, and by that measure Trump is doing a marvelous job. That's why this thread is misleading.

Maybe have the Bar Assc. give you a good rating, or have tried a case, or even be a judge in the first place?

Sure, if you are very conservative you may like the appointments. I am not. I am in the middle on most issues.

Stephanos Bibas, whom Trump nominated to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.

In 2009, Bibas, a law professor at the University of Pennsylvania, presented a paper on crime and punishment in which he wrote: “For the broad middle of the spectrum, the default punishment should be non-disfiguring corporal punishment, such as electric shocks.”

He has backtracked on this statement now. But fuck if I said something like that 8 years ago I don't think I should be considered for the job.

Back