Television True Detective: Night Country- Season 4

What seasons are considered the best? I finished season 1 last night and it just seemed like your run-of-the-mill buddy cop drama that liked the smell of it's own farts a little too much.

What seasons are considered the best? I finished season 1 last night and it just seemed like your run-of-the-mill buddy cop drama that liked the smell of it's own farts a little too much.
Only season 1 is considered good

Its farts did smell pretty good but I get your point. I enjoyed that season though

I would be cool if for one of the seasons they brought back an old character from a previous series, even if it is a younger actor playing them as a younger man.

If you didn't like season 1, probably best to not bother with the rest. I thought season 1 was great, season 2 was decent but not nearly on the same level, season 3 dragged on at times but I enjoyed it overall.

The best thing about season 4, is that it is making me rewatch season 1 again for the first time in a buncha years, just to cleanse the palate. Of which I'm 5 episodes in so far. Man, season 1 gets better every rewatch. What a masterful piece of storytelling. Lots of movies & shows do a time jump, but usually just between 2, then & now. The 3 distinct time periods of season 1, & the way it jumps between the 3 of them threading the needle, makes for so many compelling moments. Directing, music, writing, & of course the acting. Everything really came together for S1.

That doesn't make sense to you? You don't see the millions of angry straight white males and their ridiculous, childish complaints?

People are losing their shit over the skin color of dwarves and mermaids. Hopefully the next generation won't be such snowflakes.
I actually liked season 4.
This season was enjoyable to me, despite its flaws and obvious “White man bad” tilts. I liked it for its supernatural element, it’s setting, and atmosphere. And sometimes white men are bad, so I’m not offended. That being said, when things are done for virtue signaling, pandering, or for DEI instead of quality, I will voice my opinion. Too many projects have been ruined because of it. BTW, I could care less about stuff I would never watch anyway, so even though I think it’s obvious why they made a red head white mermaid black, I don’t give a shit.

The best thing about season 4, is that it is making me rewatch season 1 again for the first time in a buncha years, just to cleanse the palate. Of which I'm 5 episodes in so far. Man, season 1 gets better every rewatch. What a masterful piece of storytelling. Lots of movies & shows do a time jump, but usually just between 2, then & now. The 3 distinct time periods of season 1, & the way it jumps between the 3 of them threading the needle, makes for so many compelling moments. Directing, music, writing, & of course the acting. Everything really came together for S1.
Same here. Lots of stuff I missed the first time through. Dora Lang’s family seems to be involved in the cult based on the picture in her mom’s house of the masked horsemen surrounding the young blond girl and her mother’s migraine attacks which could be result of some past trauma/abuse. Fontanel family seems to be involved too. Read a theory online about how the uncle knew too much and was drugged which resulted in his “cerebral episode”. Weird that they would sacrifice their own daughters, but not really so weird when you look into some of the ancient paganism harvest traditions that were practiced in the biblical times. None of that is confirmed, but obviously implied in the details they make it a point to show you.

This season was enjoyable to me, despite its flaws and obvious “White man bad” tilts. I liked it for its supernatural element, it’s setting, and atmosphere. And sometimes white men are bad, so I’m not offended. That being said, when things are done for virtue signaling, pandering, or for DEI instead of quality, I will voice my opinion. Too many projects have been ruined because of it. BTW, I could care less about stuff I would never watch anyway, so even though I think it’s obvious why they made a red head white mermaid black, I don’t give a shit.

There were elements I liked about season four but they were few and far between. There were a few things that really irritated me, and maybe those are petty, like the faces being frozen in extreme expressions. That made absolutely no sense to me but might have in an explicitly supernatural story. At the end of the day I just didn't care about the narrative. It didn't develop in a way that led to a satisfying or thought-provoking conclusion.

So is this thing worth six hours of somebody's life? The thread is crazy long and life is crazy short.

I'll generally donate two hours to something out of trust in Jodie Foster but six is a bit of an ask...

It depends. If you enjoy high quality production, like an arctic setting, & are a fan of Jodie Foster, it has all of those things.

If however you need a good story that makes sense, or other compelling elements to tie all of that together, it'll be a disappointment.

Same here. Lots of stuff I missed the first time through. Dora Lang’s family seems to be involved in the cult based on the picture in her mom’s house of the masked horsemen surrounding the young blond girl and her mother’s migraine attacks which could be result of some past trauma/abuse. Fontanel family seems to be involved too. Read a theory online about how the uncle knew too much and was drugged which resulted in his “cerebral episode”. Weird that they would sacrifice their own daughters, but not really so weird when you look into some of the ancient paganism harvest traditions that were practiced in the biblical times. None of that is confirmed, but obviously implied in the details they make it a point to show you.

What you super fans are going to have to accept is that season 2,3,4 are all part of the True Detective brand. True Detective can't be in the same discussions as the greatest seasons of all time because one quarter of it is acclaimed.

What you super fans are going to have to accept is that season 2,3,4 are all part of the True Detective brand. True Detective can't be in the same discussions as the greatest seasons of all time because one quarter of it is acclaimed.
I don't think anything but season 1 should be acclaimed. I didn't even finish season 2, and season 3 was watchable but not anything great. I enjoyed season 4, but I know what it is. True Detective never felt like a series anyway. There is a lot of garbage out there, and I felt Season 4 was better than most of the crap out there. But it will never beat season 1.

Back