Triple g power

shs101

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
what do you think of this video in terms of GGGs power

Is that how he gets maximum power in his punches?

That's how everyone gets power in the punches. Using the hip and shoulder isn't some mysthical secret it's just how you punch.
Compared to some MWs his handspeed isn't even that great.
I don't think there has been a more popular discussion on this forum or anywhere else in the world of combat sports about why some people hit hard and how to do it.

In the end it's always people posting mathematical formulas and saying the obvious stuff like hit faster, get as much weight into the shots as possible, be strong so that the force doesn't leak anywhere on the way to the fist or on impact and things like that.

But no one really has been able to give a clear universal explanation why Julian Jackson or Golovkin or Foreman or anyone else hits that hard

That's how everyone gets power in the punches. Using the hip and shoulder isn't some mysthical secret it's just how you punch.
Compared to some MWs his handspeed isn't even that great.
I don't think there has been a more popular discussion on this forum or anywhere else in the world of combat sports about why some people hit hard and how to do it.

In the end it's always people posting mathematical formulas and saying the obvious stuff like hit faster, get as much weight into the shots as possible, be strong so that the force doesn't leak anywhere on the way to the fist or on impact and things like that.

But no one really has been able to give a clear universal explanation why Julian Jackson or Golovkin or Foreman or anyone else hits that hard

Yes they have: Technique, genetics, strength and conditioning.

A big reason why elbows hit so hard is because its pretty much impossible to actually throw the elbow forward through space in a way that's not bio-mechanically advantageous. Its like a 'cue' used in weightlifting to get a client to feel what proper form is.

Whereas, its very easy to throw a punch with no mechanical advantage, since you can just move your arm around, like that. Arm punches, rather than punches with push off, full body rotation, and weight transfer.

Last edited:
Yes they have: Technique, genetics, strength and conditioning.

Tony Ayala Jr. was a fat tub who hit like a cannon. Just sayin'.

When you have either a purposeful or accidental grasp of leverage, you'll hit hard.

I am training a kid from Guam right now who does a lot of dumb shit in the ring, out of the ring, etc. But he hits hard as a mofo. He always did. That's the one thing I never have to worry about with him because even when he throws wide ugly shots, something about his lanky ass body grips the floor just right and he hits like a wrecking ball.

Tony Ayala Jr. was a fat tub who hit like a cannon. Just sayin'.

When you have either a purposeful or accidental grasp of leverage, you'll hit hard.

I am training a kid from Guam right now who does a lot of dumb shit in the ring, out of the ring, etc. But he hits hard as a mofo. He always did. That's the one thing I never have to worry about with him because even when he throws wide ugly shots, something about his lanky ass body grips the floor just right and he hits like a wrecking ball.

I bet you would love to find another Prince Naseem........

Meh, not really. Naseem was notoriously lazy in the Gym, cocky, etc. etc. Seems like I'd do more babysitting than training. I'm good.

I mean, with a guy like GGG, I think the fundamentals coupled with genetics are the straightforward answer here. He's always balanced, constantly drills technique, and his natural make-up are probably the reasons his power is a cut above the rest.

It is not only about power. He has been a way better boxer than most of his opponents. His style is a high pressure, so after landing tons of hits it is only natural his opponents get dizzy and then he gets room to land some big shots and knock people down. It is not that he kills opponents with 1 shot. He constantly out boxes and pressures opponents. Which adds up.

Look at GGG vs Jacobs and Klicho vs Joshua.

GGG was outboxing Jacobs for the first rounds and dropped him. However Jacobs shaked it off and went on boxing with him so GGG could not finish as he had no clear advantage in this fight past the first rounds.

Joshua now vs Klichko showed a real knock out power. Klichko was outboxing Joshua, but Joshua exploded and landed that upper cut that trowed Klichko to the space. However even Joshua needed a lot of grinding to get Klichko to the knock down. It was a whole round of punching. Now that is a knock out power, however this is heavyweight. Most of the boxers have that knock out power and that makes heavy weight so interesting. 1 good punch and you are out. This is not the case with GGG who grinds his KOs.

Last edited:
Meh, not really. Naseem was notoriously lazy in the Gym, cocky, etc. etc. Seems like I'd do more babysitting than training. I'm good.

Lol, I was not talking about his stinking attitude more his natural physical abilities........

I don't give a shit about physical abilities. Everyone has those of varying natures.

I don't give a shit about physical abilities. Everyone has those of varying natures.

From my observations, being the coach to someone with huge hitting power is more often than not a pain in the arse anyway. Because they fall in love with their power and just start swinging ALA Foreman, even Golovkin himself as Discipulus/Connor Ruebusch mentioned in one of his pieces - all abandon some of the craft that would get them the knockouts in favour of just chasing it.

Indeed. Big punchers who are aware they're punchers tend to not listen well once they know how to fight a bit.

From my observations, being the coach to someone with huge hitting power is more often than not a pain in the arse anyway. Because they fall in love with their power and just start swinging ALA Foreman, even Golovkin himself as Discipulus/Connor Ruebusch mentioned in one of his pieces - all abandon some of the craft that would get them the knockouts in favour of just chasing it.

Tyson is a prime example of someone who was taught well and then forgot about those lessons when he got seduced by the big KO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back