Training An Athlete

JonJonesLines

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
How would you go about training an athlete/athletic team?

What would you focus? How often would you train in season/off season? For peaking?

Holy shit this could not be a more terrible thread.

You have given us exactly 0 information with which to help you.

Holy shit this could not be a more terrible thread.

You have given us exactly 0 information with which to help you.

I am not asking for help. I am asking for everyone's own opinion. I want people to pick whatever sport they want and how they would go about training an athlete or team.

I would train a powerlifing team by having them drink a gallon of milk a day and focusing on hip drahve.

Synchronized swimming in off season. Easy on joints and learn to work as team or you drown the strongest member

I would train a powerlifing team by having them drink a gallon of milk a day and focusing on hip drahve.
I would train female gymnast, of legal age, and have them drink tequila and focus on my hip drive.

For Hockey - Competitive Youth

This is a pretty basic formula and doesn't take much to apply. But if I was taking my son's U18 hockey team on as a coach, I'd do something like this.

Strength - Off season building, Pre-season power, in-season maintenance
Speed - Pre-season speed off-ice, in-season maintenance
Cardio - Pre season off-ice, in-season maintenance as players will be on ice practicing and playing often
Skills - Pre-season on-ice individual skills, in-season team skills/system building

Last edited:
In general, S&C has 2 purposes for athletes.
1. S&C in the off-season to help them recover from the previous season and avoid injury, play harder, play longer, play more often while they are in-season.
2. S&C done with the intention of making the athlete better at their sport. This can also be done in the off-season but can certainly be a part of in-season practices.
Obviously there can be quite a bit of overlap between the 2 but they are definitely different approaches. Since this is an MMA site Il weigh in on training fighters and other combat athletes.
In the off-season or in between fights/tournaments I would focus on higher volume-lower frequency Strength work. I would use exercises to increase grip strength, rotational/core strength, shoulder strength/stability, and leg/hip strength/explosion.
As the event date approaches id start to transition into more conditioning work. Interval training, high rep explosive lefts, and high reps of more conventional compound lifts and semi isolation lifts.
Obviously youd be doing drilling, sparring/rolling, and technique work this whole time, but in the last 4-6 weeks or so id transition into making that the focus.
The last phase would be mostly skills training with 1 primary strength exercise and 1 primary conditioning exercise. Higher frequency, lower volume, high intensity leading up to fight week when you take it easy and recover.

For Hockey - Competitive Youth

This is a pretty basic formula and doesn't take much to apply. But if I was taking my son's U16 hockey team on as a coach, I'd do something like this.

Strength - Off season building, Pre-season power, in-season maintenance
Speed - Pre-season speed off-ice, in-season maintenance
Cardio - Pre season off-ice, in-season maintenance as players will be on ice practicing and playing often
Skills - Pre-season on-ice individual skills, in-season team skills/system building

Thank you!

Now one thing I've done as a wrestling coach in the past 5 years is focus on building strength in season as well. We lift 4 days a week; Monday we bench and deadlift, Tuesday squat and row, Wednesday we do RDL & floor press as our main lifts with a lot of band work, and Thursday we do sled work for strength and no back work besides chins followed by a 2-3 mile run for weight maintenance.

I changed to this as my kids were getting weaker during the season while trying to maintain. I have countered this increase with a decrease in HIIT conditioning and more long runs.

I have found that we have increased strength, conditioning, and reduced injuries.

With Ice Hockey, you're playing and practicing frequently through the weak so a lot of what can be accomplished by traditional cardio training off-ice can be taken care of while practicing and playing, however there is still need for recovery runs and such activities. Anyone who continues to push their athletes off the ice during the season is setting themselves up for burnout. I see this right now in what a lot of coaches do during the season. If your kids aren't reading by the time the season starts, you're losing valuable skills time to trying to get them in shape. The pre season is for cardio. In-season is for hockey and maintenance.

maintaining strength during the season is difficult since the kids practice and play so much they will inevitably lose some of what they gained during the off-season, this is to be expected. However if set-up properly you can continue to push and pull heavy during the season with minimal loss if, again you schedule the recovery periods properly. Your goal is to keep them injury free first and foremost, keep them as strong as you can in as good shape as you can through the season so that after the season is done they are ready to push the strength and size again in the off-season. If you approach it like a 5 steps forward 2 steps back you can get some good things accomplished.

I'd set up a gofundme page and try to get enough money to hire a proper S&C coach.

I'd set up a gofundme page and try to get enough money to hire a proper S&C coach.

I have a bachelor's in exercise science. The school I'm at has had 3 in my span there. Only one actually accomplished things with kids. It's a tough job.

Poor man's Roman swings all day, every day, while staring at a picture of Naudi glued to the wall.

The sport itself doesn't matter.

have you ever read dan john's stuff? i think he is full of good ideas for your field. except he doesn't think the quick lifts are a waste of time.

have you ever read dan john's stuff? i think he is full of good ideas for your field. except he doesn't think the quick lifts are a waste of time.
I actually like some of Dan Johns stuff. He's a meat and potatoes kind of guy. When it comes to coaching youth, we need more meat and potatoes and less quinoa and baked cauliflower

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back