Movies TOP GUN 3 in the works!

I woudn't do her cameo as pointless as that. Sheen literally had 1 minute of what felt like superficial chit chat that did nothing for the story. I would hope they would make something with Charlie a bit deeper and longer and maybe even more critical to the story in some small way. Where her being there actually matters.

And I don't care how hideous McGuillis is now. I'd rather see her than not. Just do the movie magic thing and go for it. But if you really want to get me squirming in my seat, when they first see each other (even though it's just as old friends) play this:

Man, that would hit me right in the feels.

(But honestly, I don't see Cruise going for it, just like he didn't for TG:M)

Yeah, Slider was a huge missed opportunity at the funeral and it honestly kind of pissed me off. Actually makes no sense because Ice and Slider were supposed to be best buds almost like Maverick and Goose. Even a non-speaking cameo at the funeral would have been better than nothing. Dammit. Although I would love to see him show up in 3, I don't see how they could do it without feeling contrived (unless he is an Admiral). They missed their golden opportunity.

Regarding Slider...we saw the "non speaking cameo" with Robert Loggia in Independence Day 2. Wasn't worth it really in that instance anyway. But I think just a shot of Slider there and even just a nod between Slider and Maverick would have been nice. But I think the whole point of the Iceman part of the story was that now Maverick is truly alone against the world...seeing Rick Rossovich might have felt like a bit of lingering support from the establishment. But now the opportunity is kind of blown.

As to McGillis... What kind of meaningful role do you think she could or would have? There is something like the Elishabeth Shue or Kumiko side plots in Cobra Kai...but that seems a little hokey and she also isn't really up to the requirements physically now. She could be running a military library or something where they need to go for information but honestly I'd rather have Maverick go to the library and it's James Tolkan behind the desk or explaining the intel.

Last edited:
I loved maverick one of my fav movies of the year. They put a lot of time and work into that one, it was almost perfect for a sequel that came decades later.

But it also feels like a one and done kind of thing. Really doubt they can capture that magic again.

The whole franchise should be Take My Breath Away with Mav having sexual relations with a new hot exhibitionist actress. Being Mav's "wingman" would be a status symbol thing on the resume.

Regarding Slider...we saw the "non speaking cameo" with Robert Loggia in Independence Day 2. Wasn't worth it there. But I think just a shot of Slider there and even just a nod between Slider and Maverick would have been nice. But I think the whole point of the Iceman part of the story was that now Maverick is truly alone against the world...seeing Rick Rossovich might have felt like a bit of lingering support from the establishment. But now the opportunity is kind of blown.

As to McGillis... What kind of meaningful role do you think she could or would have? There is something like the Elishabeth Shue or Kumiko side plots in Cobra Kai...but that seems a little hokey and she also isn't really up to the requirements physically now. She could be running a military library or something where they need to go for information but honestly I'd rather have Maverick go to the library and it's James Tolkan behind the desk or explaining the intel.
Yeah, I would do the information thing. Maverick needs info that will help him later on.

That makes her critical to the story, yet she doesn't have to do anything physical. It'd be like Ving Rhames in the most recent Mission Impossible. He just sits around before leaving to do something important off screen. (Only here she would return by the end to give Maverick what he needs)

Yeah, I would do the information thing. Maverick needs info that will help him later on.

That makes her critical to the story, yet she doesn't have to do anything physical. It'd be like Ving Rhames in the most recent Mission Impossible. He just sits around before leaving to do something important off screen. (Only here she would return by the end to give Maverick what he needs)

Thing is...I would probably rather have not had Ving Rhames in the last M:I movie as opposed to him looking like they rolled him in with a wheelchair to film three takes before they had to put him in Darth Vader's bacta tank to make it to tomorrow.

I think with McGillis you're almost humiliating the character by having her stand next to Maverick while she has aged double time and Cruise has aged one quarter time. With Val Kilmer the character was dying so it is written in. That would also save things for McGillis but I don't think everyone can be on their death bed when they cross paths with Maverick. When you see these old flames you kind of should think "hubba hubba" like with Tamlyn Tomita and Elishabeth Shue in Cobra Kai.

Last edited:
Thing is...I would probably rather have not had Ving Rhames in the last M:I movie as opposed to him looking like they rolled him in with a wheelchair to film three takes before they had to put him in Darth Vader's bacta tank to make it to tomorrow.

I think with McGillis you're almost humiliating the character stand next to Maverick while she has aged double time and Cruise has aged one quarter time. With Val Kilmer the character was dying so it is written in. That would also save things for McGillis but I don't think everyone can be on their death bed when they cross paths with Maverick. When you see these old flames you kind of should think "hubba hubba" like with Tamlyn Tomita and Elishabeth Shue in Cobra Kai.
You make perfect sense, but I don't care about that stuff. Seeing her come back, even though she's aged like milk left on the side of the road in Death Valley during summer, would be special to me.

Ivan Drago is my favorite Rocky villain and when it was first announced that he would be returning for Creed 2 I was over the moon! Couldn't be more excited. But there was this lingering feeling that I also wanted to see his wife, even if for just a cameo. I don't recall her ever being announced for the movie, but the scene where she walks into the room, I couldn't have been happier. Just seeing her included was all it took to put that extra smile on my face. I would feel the same way here. Though yes, of course modern Bridget looks 100x better than modern Kelly. But even then, it's not about the looks for me. It's just the nostalgic feeling of seeing her again, no matter what, and seeing her interact with Maverick. It would make me very happy.

You make perfect sense, but I don't care about that stuff. Seeing her come back, even though she's aged like milk left on the side of the road in Death Valley during summer, would be special to me.

Ivan Drago is my favorite Rocky villain and when it was first announced that he would be returning for Creed 2 I was over the moon! Couldn't be more excited. But there was this lingering feeling that I also wanted to see his wife, even if for just a cameo. I don't recall her ever being announced for the movie, but the scene where she walks into the room, I couldn't have been happier. Just seeing her included was all it took to put that extra smile on my face. I would feel the same way here. Though yes, of course modern Bridget looks 100x better than modern Kelly. But even then, it's not about the looks for me. It's just the nostalgic feeling of seeing her again, no matter what, and seeing her interact with Maverick. It would make me very happy.

Both Ivan and Ludmila Drago had pretty meaningful character development written for them in Creed 2. Brigitte was almost a caricature of a bad mother but Ivan Drago was actually the hero of the movie.

Hey if it will make you happy then I'm cool with Kelly McGillis returning somewhere in the future in Top Gun.

Maverick 2 - "Back To The Danger Zone"

Starring Tom Cruise, Jennifer Connelly.....and Tom Skerritt as Commander Mike "Viper" Metcalf

with James Tolkan, Monica Barbaro, Tim Robbins, Michael Ironside, Jay Ellis, Ed Harris, Jean Louisa Kelly.....and Rick Rossovich

Featuring Jennifer Beals and Louis Gossett Jr., with a special appearance by Kelly McGillis

Directed by Martin Scorsese
Soundtrack by Kenny Loggins
Produced by Tom Cruise
Written by James Cameron
Score by Harold Faltermeyer
Executive Producer - Steven Spielberg

I think with McGillis you're almost humiliating the character by having her stand next to Maverick while she has aged double time and Cruise has aged one quarter time. With Val Kilmer the character was dying so it is written in. That would also save things for McGillis but I don't think everyone can be on their death bed when they cross paths with Maverick. When you see these old flames you kind of should think "hubba hubba" like with Tamlyn Tomita and Elishabeth Shue in Cobra Kai.
Perhaps a bit underrated in retrospect given Hollywoods love of an age gap the other direction that she was 5 years older than Cruise. Then again I did always think the original was actually much more of a "chick flick" than it was recognised as, really its the story of a good woman helping a badboy character get past his emotional issues.

To be fair to Cruise Maverick was not really your typical Hollywood "old guy tries to look as young as possible" film, if anything the reverse were I think Cruise has barely any makeup and perhaps is even actually aged a bit? the character being old is really tied up with the drama of the film being more a father/son story than a romance.

Thats I think really why the film works as well as it does, the drama is built on events in the original film but it doesnt look to get by on simply recreating the characters/setting. I think it ends up being the exact opposite of something like The Force Awakens were Han Solo is regressed back to his A New Hope character for some cheap nostalgia, Mav might be "doing the same thing 35 years latter" as well but the character feels like its devolped over that time with new drama to it.

Both Ivan and Ludmila Drago had pretty meaningful character development written for them in Creed 2. Brigitte was almost a caricature of a bad mother but Ivan Drago was actually the hero of the movie.

Hey if it will make you happy then I'm cool with Kelly McGillis returning somewhere in the future in Top Gun.
lol, but who am I kidding. There is absolutely no way it will happen. Cruise made absolutely no mention of her during the press tour for TG:M, and the director said he wanted to focus on new characters (very polite and diplomatic answer). So I don't think that's all of a sudden going to change for TG3.

unh.JPG

I started riding street bikes after watching Tom on this in the first one. Would not be where I am today if I hadnt so thank ya Tom.

View attachment 1025341

I started riding street bikes after watching Tom on this in the first one. Would not be where I am today if I hadnt so thank ya Tom.
I wanted a bike after seeing Top Gun and T2. But I've been too scared to go for it because I don't trust other drivers. Dumb motherfuckers don't use their turn signals, sit in the fast lane, and swerve randomly. It's stressful enough in a car. I don't want to deal with that on a bike.
<DisgustingHHH>

Someone has developed some new tech, that goes rogue, but because its so special, it cant detect old planes, so Tom has to fly.
Or, Drone goes rogue, is in costant flight around the earths orbit (like those xb plane thingos), and only one man is ballsy enough to reach to the edges of the earth to stop it....

What else?

Perhaps a bit underrated in retrospect given Hollywoods love of an age gap the other direction that she was 5 years older than Cruise. Then again I did always think the original was actually much more of a "chick flick" than it was recognised as, really its the story of a good woman helping a badboy character get past his emotional issues.

To be fair to Cruise Maverick was not really your typical Hollywood "old guy tries to look as young as possible" film, if anything the reverse were I think Cruise has barely any makeup and perhaps is even actually aged a bit? the character being old is really tied up with the drama of the film being more a father/son story than a romance.

Thats I think really why the film works as well as it does, the drama is built on events in the original film but it doesnt look to get by on simply recreating the characters/setting. I think it ends up being the exact opposite of something like The Force Awakens were Han Solo is regressed back to his A New Hope character for some cheap nostalgia, Mav might be "doing the same thing 35 years latter" as well but the character feels like its devolped over that time with new drama to it.

Tom Cruise was often a bad boy being reined in by a wiser woman in those days. Cocktail, Days of Thunder etc.

I didn't really feel they made Tom look older on purpose in Maverick though. He is finally starting to look a little old and plasticky now and Maverick was maybe the last hurrah on screen for youngish Tom. I mean...his age peers in the movie were guys like Jon Hamm as opposed to actual 60 year olds. Jon Hamm was about 50, a young looking 50, and supposedly did Top Gun himself in 1988 or something. Cruise is old compared to his students but he's also their physical peer for the most part including the football stuff.

I thought the Maverick character was for all intents and purposes being played as about a 45 year old on screen.

Nice, should be good so long as Tom’s involvement stays at a high level.

If there’s news about a movie with shirtless beefcakes I know @Adamant will be all over it.

Thank you for your service.

<RomeroSalute>

“I can’t help myself. As you’re about to go to sleep at night, the brain dreams and you can’t help but think of if there was another one, what would that story be? What’s the emotional reason to bring Maverick back? What’s the challenge? Having done this, how could you possibly push it further enough that there’s a challenge there to go beyond.

"So of course you think about these things, but for me, I’ve got this F1 movie in front of me right now. I’m developing some other things. Tom is off shooting another [Mission: Impossible] and possibly going to space. So we’ve all got very ambitious things ahead of ourselves.

“Maybe when Tom and I have dinner at some point it will come up. It’s not something I would just throw out. I’m busy, he’s busy. Jerry’s producing the Formula 1 movie with me. Listen, it took 36 years for Maverick, it could take 36 for the next one. I don’t know. It's all about a story that I love, a challenge that’s exciting. For me, that’s why I do it and I know that’s why Tom does it.”

“I can’t help myself. As you’re about to go to sleep at night, the brain dreams and you can’t help but think of if there was another one, what would that story be? What’s the emotional reason to bring Maverick back? What’s the challenge? Having done this, how could you possibly push it further enough that there’s a challenge there to go beyond.

"So of course you think about these things, but for me, I’ve got this F1 movie in front of me right now. I’m developing some other things. Tom is off shooting another [Mission: Impossible] and possibly going to space. So we’ve all got very ambitious things ahead of ourselves.

“Maybe when Tom and I have dinner at some point it will come up. It’s not something I would just throw out. I’m busy, he’s busy. Jerry’s producing the Formula 1 movie with me. Listen, it took 36 years for Maverick, it could take 36 for the next one. I don’t know. It's all about a story that I love, a challenge that’s exciting. For me, that’s why I do it and I know that’s why Tom does it.”

That’s the right attitude

That’s the right attitude
Well an early draft is already being written so they must have an idea they're fleshing out. Hopefully they can get it figured out and buttoned up so they can start filming by 2025.

During a recent interview with Screen Rant promoting The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, Bruckheimer provided an update on Top Gun 3's story, which Kosinski has a "wonderful" idea for that Cruise "really" likes. Asked if Powell will potentially take over, the producer confirmed that Cruise will be leading the team once again. He also discussed when the sequel might get made considering the star's busy schedule. Check out Bruckheimer's full comments below:

It will be Tom Cruise. Tom is amazing. We spent time with him. We have a story. Joe Kosinski had a wonderful story idea for it, and he (Tom Cruise) said I really like that, so we’re developing it. But you never know when it’s going to get made because Tom is so busy. He’s doing Mission: Impossible right now, he’s got a picture after it. Hopefully, we’ll get a screenplay that he loves, and we’ll be back in the air again.

Back