Top 100 Best Selling Music Artists of All Time

absolutely right, but the very best have a knack for combining greatness with fluff.

Aye , not every band that makes it big is terrible. But it's also such a personal taste thing. There's not much on that list that I like in the slightest but I won't say those people have no talent or didn't earn their place. Lol I feel like any list about music that doesn't have operation ivy and the specials at the very top is likely bullshit.

Aye , not every band that makes it big is terrible. But it's also such a personal taste thing. There's not much on that list that I like in the slightest but I won't say those people have no talent or didn't earn their place. Lol I feel like any list about music that doesn't have operation ivy and the specials at the very top is likely bullshit.
It is, it really is, opinions are like assholes, that's why the consensus takes over. Prince and Mj and Elvis have some of their best songs that no one knows anything about in my opinion. Usually, they wouldn't make good pop fare because they are usually too dark and too personal for the radio. Yet, Elvis' "Way Down" was rising up the country charts at his death. It's a prophetic song foretelling his demise and first time I heard it ever was when I was 27 and I got chills up my back listening to it because he's telling us that not only is he gonna die, he wants to and he's gonna enjoy it. Needless to say, not many people know of that song today, I doubt anyone here does but they all know about Hound Dog.

It's official Michael Jackson outsold Elvis which will always piss of the Elvis fanboys...

It's official Michael Jackson outsold Elvis which will always piss of the Elvis fanboys...
doesn't piss me off, I love 'em both. It's eerie how similar they're habits and careers and lives went.

The hippy thing, well, some great music but ya, it was bullshit and thankfully didn't really last all that long. They were the very forefront of the music at that time so sure they'll get the blame. Even Hendrix had to go that way when I don't really know how much that was really him, all these years, I still don't know. I know he was crazy and wierd but the hippy influence in his lyrics I see as a calculation on his part to crossover (and it worked). He didn't live long enough to see where he'd go but it would have been in another crazy direction. People that knew him say he was embarrassed by it, the psychedelia. He shouldn't be, he did what he had to do. And, he really always was an outcast, even to black people so him being on the fringes made sense but he was basically a blues guitarist.

With Prince's legacy, my fear isn't about the money of course, I worry that it'll all get bungled so badly that he'll never even have a chance to have a future legacy enjoyed by The Beatles, MJ and Elvis. They were so huge that they don't really need much help, Prince wasn't. Yet, Ironically, he's the guy with the most new music just laying around, around 2-3000 songs. I've heard some of the stuff and some of it is just ok, some of it is mindblowing and some of it is just so mindblowing that it'll never work as far as a pop audience, it's just too much for them. Then, we have all his live shows since a certain point, recorded and filmed in high quality. yet, all they do is re-release purple rain era stuff that we've seen before. I wanna support but I don't always get it. They have managed to release several gorgeous boxsets of different eras of music but only diehards will spend 200 for those, (I have all but one so far).

Some people believe Sign O' The Times is the greatest album ever, I don't even think it's the best Prince album ever but that's the light it's seen in. I'm not ready to place it above Sgt. Peppers or Songs In The Key of Life which I don't know, those two are just so incredible in different ways, I don't really know how anyone can eclipse them. Stevie did not have as long a period of productivity, I can't even listen to much after Hotter than July. Prince was always worth listening to and even if an album sucked there was always something that I loved on it.
Not a Hendrix fan either because of the hippy shit but yeah you can't really blame any of the artists for doing it. Perrenialism and eastern culture was exploding into the western pop culture so they're really just a product of their environment like the rest of us. Dude was a talented musician though. I cab actually get into Maxhine Gun live with Band of Gypsies and appreciate the power trio minus the lyrics.

I remember Prince being huge when I was a kid but then he changed his name and kinda fell off. He did have the pnly good Superbowl performance ever imo.

I've never really got much into the later American funk and soul like Stevie Wonder. Just never clicked with me. Always preferred early Motown/R&B/Temptations and Stax/Blues kinda stuff. I love Nigerian Funk like Fela Kuti and William Onyeabar though.

Not a Hendrix fan either because of the hippy shit but yeah you can't really blame any of the artists for doing it. Perrenialism and eastern culture was exploding into the western pop culture so they're really just a product of their environment like the rest of us. Dude was a talented musician though. I cab actually get into Maxhine Gun live with Band of Gypsies and appreciate the power trio minus the lyrics.

I remember Prince being huge when I was a kid but then he changed his name and kinda fell off. He did have the pnly good Superbowl performance ever imo.

I've never really got much into the later American funk and soul like Stevie Wonder. Just never clicked with me. Always preferred early Motown/R&B/Temptations and Stax/Blues kinda stuff. I love Nigerian Funk like Fela Kuti and William Onyeabar though.
wow, no stevie? Stevie had what's considered by many, the greatest run of albums in the 70's. I believe his Songs In The Key Of Life may very well be the greatest album ever, not only due to the expansive nature of the styles but also it's a double record plus a little 45 shaped disk with even more brilliance. After that, it was all fairly steady decline although Secret Life Of Plants and Hotter than July were still brilliant in my mind. He hit a wall after that for whatever reasons.

Prince changed his name, fought with Warners and most assumed he'd lost his mind but 30 years after the fact he's lauded as a champion for the artists and ahead of his time. He was still making great music but most people really tuned out and didn't even give him a chance and the hardcore fans, his hardcore, are some of the vilest fans on planet earth if Prince.org is any measure. They would wait with baited breath for every release and just hate the hell and nitpick everything. Still, he never stopped, I always said 2 things about the man, 1. That I'd rather listen to a new Prince album than a new album by any other current artist and 2. Death taxes and a new prince album per year was what could be expected of life. The one time he did take a years long break in releasing albums, he seemed to realize it so what does he do? he releases 4 albums within months of each other before he goes to join the immortals, no one like him.

Jimi was phenomenal, the hippie stuff is easy enough to get past if you like great songs and The Wind cries Mary, All along the watchtower etc.., etc..., all had nothing to do with hippies. Of course he did plenty of the hippy shit and I'm sure he was embarrasssed as he said. What are you going to do, a white guy wants to take a black guy away from the chitlin circuit where there was a very real chance of never being heard of by anyone, to england and finance his music, what do you do? the problem with selling out is, usually, you can't go back and you can't win back the trust of people like you, ever.

Ooh la la is a great song
Fun fact: that's actually Ron Wood on vocals. It was the only Faces song he sung.

But Stay With Me is a great song. You can almost smell the whiskey and cigarettes on that track.

Weird Queen is so high, they really only have about 1 album worth of great stuff. Amazing group but not prolific like others on the list. And who buys Rod Stewart albums? I love his voice but its surprising people buy so much.

very surprised Prince is ranked as highly as he is. He's historically forgotten about on lists of all kinds and if not forgotten about, ranked way down near the bottom, his death might have changed that. Like I say, I don't trust lists. Little Richard once complained about how the guys he actually helped launch careers or was affiliated in some way with, like Jimi Hendrix or The Stones or The Beatles might beat him out on some list as singers or artists. He was right, subjectivity will always sink in, especially at the Rolling Stone where he did his complaining.
For all of his amazing stuff like Purple Rain, after he hit it big, he put out so much garbage to piss off the labels it was unlistenable. Even his live shows, his hits were great, his solos were amazing. Then he would play an hour of garbage funk shit.

For all of his amazing stuff like Purple Rain, after he hit it big, he put out so much garbage to piss off the labels it was unlistenable. Even his live shows, his hits were great, his solos were amazing. Then he would play an hour of garbage funk shit.
What would you call garbage? Not trying to argue, just asking. Some of his fans absolutely hated how he went to rap and hip hop but that was also what helped him have a huge bump in sales with Diamonds and Pearls. In my opinion, he didn't put out bad albums. Springsteen didn't put out bad albums, (maybe one or two actually) and MJ didn't put out bad albums. What happens is that people just get enough of something, like any commodity and they move on and they blame the artist for that. Happened with all the people before these guys too. Elvis never did anything listenable after the army, except, if you really listen, he did.

Weird Queen is so high, they really only have about 1 album worth of great stuff. Amazing group but not prolific like others on the list. And who buys Rod Stewart albums? I love his voice but its surprising people buy so much.
They always say Queen was largely ignored in the US. I don't know about their albums but I know they had some killer singles and Freddie Mercury and Brian May are known as being amongst the best of singers and guitarists respectively.

Elvis fans, how does it feel knowing that Michael is the biggest selling solo artist?
If you mean me? Feels great, MJ did sell the most, America never forgave him for it, you're right. Both men went mad near the end, that kind of fame does that.

They always say Queen was largely ignored in the US. I don't know about their albums but I know they had some killer singles and Freddie Mercury and Brian May are known as being amongst the best of singers and guitarists respectively.
I remember being a kid and "We Will Rock You" and "We are The Champions" were huge hits. Boemian Rhapsody became a hit because of Waynes World. They do not really have many B side hits. I know they have a huge gay following and gays spend money--Look at Madonna and Lady Gaga....they were great artists just surprised because not the volume of hits like The Beatles, Eagles, Elvis etc...Most people can name an Album from the top artists....I bet hardly anyone can name a Queen album besides self titles or Maybe News of The World.

I remember being a kid and "We Will Rock You" and "We are The Champions" were huge hits. Boemian Rhapsody became a hit because of Waynes World. They do not really have many B side hits. I know they have a huge gay following and gays spend money--Look at Madonna and Lady Gaga....they were great artists just surprised because not the volume of hits like The Beatles, Eagles, Elvis etc...Most people can name an Album from the top artists....I bet hardly anyone can name a Queen album besides self titles or Maybe News of The World.
I can't either but I love their greatest hits. Bohemian Rhapsody is amazing for a pop hit. Another One Bites the Dust was a huge hit in America and even MJ was influenced by some of Mercury's stage moves, like the fist held out in front of him. MJ hung out with Freddie at one point, I think because he was still building his own clout, MJ could be pretty manipulative and he wasn't thriller's MJ yet.

Queen were huge in Europe. America didn't care for them at all except a couple of songs
Even Black people loved Another One Bites the Dust, that's about where most of America's attention started and ended I think. I didn't even know the name was an homage to gayness for some years, never really cared enough to know, but I'm sure others picked up on it and America was hostile to gays in the earlier decades, the further back you go, the more hostile.

Where is Garth Brooks? I suspect he would be in 2nd place if he wasn't weird about having his music out there digitally.

Where is Garth Brooks? I suspect he would be in 2nd place if he wasn't weird about having his music out there digitally.
Country is very regional, and lists, are usually kinda fucked one way or the other. And.., like all statistics, they are usually faked to some degree.

Back