Too Deadly for the Cage

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Watching Mathews vs Jingliang right now.

In the second round, Jingliang gets out of a fully locked choke by grabbing the eyes.

“The submission would have succeeded without the egregious foul” said one of the commentators.

Guess Kung Fu was right all along.

Last edited:
Not exactly, since in a real fight you might opt to risk eye damage to ensure the finish.

Not true at all. If you go for the eyes in a real fight that will push the enemy to attack illegally too. Whoever is more dirty, wins

First of all, when I saw the title, I naturally assumed this thread was about me. I am disappointed.

Second - yeah, if we're in a (real - in the street and not the cage) fight and I have a deep choke on someone, they are likely going out BEFORE they can get to me eyes. Even if they don't go out that fast, I'm reminded of my favorite Bas Rutten quoute -

"Never escalate the level of violence in a fight you're losing."

First of all, when I saw the title, I naturally assumed this thread was about me. I am disappointed.

Second - yeah, if we're in a (real - in the street and not the cage) fight and I have a deep choke on someone, they are likely going out BEFORE they can get to me eyes. Even if they don't go out that fast, I'm reminded of my favorite Bas Rutten quoute -

"Never escalate the level of violence in a fight you're losing."

I get what you're saying, but in my experience, people in a cage fight at any level, much more the UFC, have very little "quit" in them. They will go far past the point than people will in a street fight. More than half the fights I've watched, someone gets kicked in the leg once and backs out.

Also, if you get go of a choke from bottom, you'll be losing and the eye poker will be on top.

I get what you're saying, but in my experience, people in a cage fight at any level, much more the UFC, have very little "quit" in them. They will go far past the point than people will in a street fight. More than half the fights I've watched, someone gets kicked in the leg once and backs out.

Also, if you get go of a choke from bottom, you'll be losing and the eye poker will be on top.

What does eyes pokes have to with kung fu? Any bloody fool can do that.

What does eyes pokes have to with kung fu? Any bloody fool can do that.

Don't dismiss kung fu's deadly techniques you fool! For thousands of years old mystical wise Asian men have studied the ways of nature and the ways of men and have come up with infinite ways to incapacitate an adversary by like... gouging his eyes out and stuff.

Don't dismiss kung fu's deadly techniques you fool! For thousands of years old mystical wise Asian men have studied the ways of nature and the ways of men and have come up with infinite ways to incapacitate an adversary by like... gouging his eyes out and stuff.

Yet they got their ass handed to them by the Thais 5-0.

Watching Mathews vs Jingliang right now.

In the second round, Jingliang gets out of a fully locked choke by grabbing the eyes.

“The submission would have succeeded without the egregious foul” said one of the commentators.

Guess Kung Fu was right all along.

What’s stopping you from biting the attackers fingers?

I was almost confident that the fight was going to be finished as Matthews attempted the guillotine - it looked tight and in position.

I imagine you’re out the choke already if you can bite the fingers.

I meant the guy who’s wanting to gouge your eyes... going for eyes is the ninja defense, well if I got someone in a choke and the mother fucker is trying to eye gouge me, I’ll probably try to bite those fingers, and then choke him out...

I meant the guy who’s wanting to gouge your eyes... going for eyes is the ninja defense, well if I got someone in a choke and the mother fucker is trying to eye gouge me, I’ll probably try to bite those fingers, and then choke him out...

I go the extra mile eat the fingers too.

lol

I was rolling in a gym back in the pre-BJJ world of the 90's. There was a purple belt teaching at the karate place I went to. The karate instructor let us roll a little, after showing us like 7-8 moves and drilling them twice.

I get side mount on this guy and he starts digging his thumbs into my ribs. It hurt like a bitch, very startling. He was pretty strong. This being a karate place, this sort of self-defensy shit was normal, but it still made me mad. I actually told him, "hey, I'm on top so I can do that too," and started jamming my thumbs into his neck. I never ran into it again, there or anywhere else.

That's kind of my point. On the very off-chance that I end up in a real street fight, chances are it's NOT the guy with UFC level training. It's someone who will quit after the one leg kick you mention. If it's someone of "UFC" calibur, nothing shy of a gun is going to help me, and if it's someone in between, there's a certain amount of violence that gets applied to a choke in a "real" fight that doesn't happen even in a cage. I'm still not worried about the eye gouge.

If I have a choke from the bottom - I still have a choke. Odds are pretty solid I can hide my face since, in order to properly apply the choke, I need to be pretty close and have my opponent's posture broken down anyway ...

There's a certain amount of violence that gets applied to a choke in a "real" fight that doesn't happen even in a cage.

I can't site any sources on this, but it just doesn't ring true to me. People seem to rip crossfaces and squeeze full power in the cage. I don't think they are holding much back. The "violent" chokes I've seen are more like punch / charges. I've seen a flying homer simpson choke in real life before. Despite that, none of those chokes were in danger of putting the other guy down.

I can't site any sources on this, but it just doesn't ring true to me. People seem to rip crossfaces and squeeze full power in the cage. I don't think they are holding much back.

lol @ crossfaces as an example of violence.

Think of it this way -

Take all of the force and violence that gets applied in an MMA match, now apply it to an untrained attacker, and add in the fact that you likely don't really care about jacking up their neck. That's a very different situation. Having applied a guillotine from closed guard in both situations, I can say that even "in the cage", there was still some restraint. That's of course from my very scientific and not-at-all anecdotal evidence of having had to use BJJ in a "real" situation like - twice. In my life. :D

Also - what's a "flying homer simpson choke"? That sounds amazing!

Back