Tony Ferguson changed the fight game

MetaIIica

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
After the aftermath of the Justin Gaethje fight it made everyone aware of what can happen if you take an unnecessary fight while waiting for a title-shot. Now we see fighters more willing to sit out and wait for their shot, "playing it safe".

Tony sat out part of his prime waiting for a fight that never happened . The only thing you can learn from Tony is what not to do (and retire at 35 if you are a LW.)

so many what ifs IMO, i think this is probably a newer persons perspective though. i wouldn't have tony in my top 5 of LWs. UFC should have had better auxiliary cord management

I might be wrong... it seems like a decade ago. But wasn't he stripped of the interim belt , for playing it safe , and turning down the Max fight... which Poirier won a got to fight Khabib?
No, the UFC chose to strip him while he was out injured. Tony's treatment by the UFC will go down as one of the most horrid for a top fighter.

This is nothing new. Tony was actually one of the only people who took a fight they didn't have to. Tyron Woodley famously sat out demanding a title shot and that was well before this example.

Certain guys sit out and wait and the UFC also accommodates. The game changed but not because of Tony. They were going to sit out regardless.

After the aftermath of the Justin Gaethje fight it made everyone aware of what can happen if you take an unnecessary fight while waiting for a title-shot. Now we see fighters more willing to sit out and wait for their shot, "playing it safe".

Tony Ferguson was "the first fighter ever" to make a mistake in judgment.

"The first fighter ever" to overestimate himself.

"The first fighter ever" to believe he was "great" ... when history shows he was actually mediocre <Lmaoo> <45>

It was Tyron Woodley who showed us that sitting out for your deserved title shot is the smart thing to do. Give Tyron his credit.

Tony is a detriment to himself. Doing 2 weight cuts for no reason at all. Wearing sunglasses in a dark room. Not getting along with any training partners. He could have been so much better if he were mentally stable. Multiple times he has freaked out on reporters that actually complemented him, even Nina.

I might be wrong... it seems like a decade ago. But wasn't he stripped of the interim belt , for playing it safe , and turning down the Max fight... which Poirier won a got to fight Khabib?
imagine defending an interm belt

Tony Ferguson was "the first fighter ever" to make a mistake in judgment.

"The first fighter ever" to overestimate himself.

"The first fighter ever" to believe he was "great" ... when history shows he was actually mediocre <Lmaoo> <45>

Fuckin dude was dangerous everywhere, had really good BJJ, was tough as nails.
He walked through fire with no protection, and came out the other side more times than you can count.

Here you are, a "supposed fan" of fighting shitting on a guy that went to war every single time out there, never put on a boring fight, and you have the audacity to call him mediocre...what in the blue fuck goes through your pin head sometimes I will never know sir.

Back