Tips for Sparring, VID INCLUDED

Arc Flash

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any drill or exercise that you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated, any constructive criticism is welcomed.

Beware the Video was taped with a broken toaster but it's still a viable piece of footage.

(SMALLER GUY IS ME/SHORTS)

Last edited:
Which one is the smaller guy, the one wearing pants?

You are crossing your legs too much and thus losing balance and staying a bit open for clean shots. I had a similar problem with the guard and balance. Do more footwork with small steps. Although your angle work looks fine. Imo your stance is too wide and there is your main problem - you are putting too much weight in one of the feet when moving and losing your balalance. Try to loosen up a bit. Striking technique looks good.

Your rear hand straight is a "jab", which is interesting. That's a legit strike that is effective and you're making it work really well. Not a lot of guys do that. It's a favorite sneaky move of mine since I have long arms.

You might work more on a power rear hand for the arsenal.

Your rear hand straight is a "jab", which is interesting. That's a legit strike that is effective and you're making it work really well. Not a lot of guys do that. It's a favorite sneaky move of mine since I have long arms.

You might work more on a power rear hand for the arsenal.

You have to explain more as I am confused with what you are saying but the input is appreciated

You have to explain more as I am confused with what you are saying but the input is appreciated

The way you throw your read hand is a snappy thing after you've already rotated. You're effectively throwing a rear hand "jab" as opposed to the a huge power punch coming from the rotation.

I might be reading into it but it could be that you don't want to hurt your partner and that's effecting your punching style.

Edit: I don't mean to suggest you don't have a regular 2, you do, you just also use a jabby type 2.

Edit 2: I am dramatically overstating how often you used that.

Last edited:
More feints. Other dude's just covering up and looking for counters.

Okay, I can see a couple of things here, but the clip is kinda short, and the view not ideal, but here it goes.

- Your head movement needs work. It's fine when you're in defence, but when you're attacking yourself a lot of times you don't move at all. Try to drill combo's and adding head movement at the end.
- You fight well going forward, but when your opponement is pushing you back you struggle, esspecially defensively. Practise your footwork, pivots and escapes when somebody presses you.
- I like the southpaw style, your straight left seems quick and snappy. You can help yourself a bit by working on foot placement (keep your front foot outside of his)
- Work on keeping your hands up during combinations a bit more. His counters almost exclusively hit when you're trying to land a combo and forget to get your non-punching hand up.
- Like the guy before me said, more feint. You almost exclusively punch. Ue feints to draw out his counters a bit more.

Overal I see someone who can box a bit, but needs some work round the edges. How long have you been training?

Okay, I can see a couple of things here, but the clip is kinda short, and the view not ideal, but here it goes.

- Your head movement needs work. It's fine when you're in defence, but when you're attacking yourself a lot of times you don't move at all. Try to drill combo's and adding head movement at the end.
- You fight well going forward, but when your opponement is pushing you back you struggle, esspecially defensively. Practise your footwork, pivots and escapes when somebody presses you.
- I like the southpaw style, your straight left seems quick and snappy. You can help yourself a bit by working on foot placement (keep your front foot outside of his)
- Work on keeping your hands up during combinations a bit more. His counters almost exclusively hit when you're trying to land a combo and forget to get your non-punching hand up.
- Like the guy before me said, more feint. You almost exclusively punch. Ue feints to draw out his counters a bit more.

Overal I see someone who can box a bit, but needs some work round the edges. How long have you been training?

I wrestled for 5 years, did 2 months of boxing in grade 10, I just came back to boxing and iv been boxing for a month in that video, that was a week before my 20th birthday, Jan29th. I also train Japaneese Jit Jitsu and had a light contact MMA fight.

Back