Time for Thompson to move up to MW?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Kung Fu bb, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Kung Fu bb Black Belt

Kung Fu bb
    Yeah, every fighter is a different fighter, but come on, Thompson is not getting anywhere near a TS again as long as Woodley is champion.

So, how do you guys think Gastelum is doing at MW?
    [​IMG]

What about Whittaker, how is he doing at MW?
    [​IMG]

Would you like to see Thompson giving a try at MW? Based on his style, how much success do you guys see him having there?

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

2. SVG Double Yellow Card

SVG
    That would actually be interesting because he's kinda in limbo while Tyron has the belt.

3. moogie101 Blue Belt

moogie101
    Whittaker was killing himself to make WW & since moving to MW has made huge improvements.

Kelvin has at times looked good at MW BUT lets be honest here, Kennedy & Belfort are far past their prime as is Bisping who shouldn't have been allowed to take the fight so soon after his loss to GSP, he was clearly too small for Weidman & is now running scared of Romero. I see Thompson in a similar way, can't see his power travelling up to the weight class & he would be in real trouble against the bigger 185ers.

But he sure ain't getting a title shot at WW any time soon, will be reduced to a Gatekeeper role as that challenging person that prospects beat on their way to a title fight.

tehMoose, Congo66 and Kung Fu bb like this.
  4. Sonny Qc Silver Belt

Sonny Qc
    he got the reach.

need to bulk up a little, but yeah, why not.

5. BigMuffler Pride of Ashlianna

BigMuffler
    Those guys are thicc though, Wonderboy is light even for WW.

6. The Crow The truth is like a lion...

The Crow
    Would love to see him at mw

[​IMG]

7. sub_thug Red Belt

sub_thug
    Thompson would really struggle at MW. He is not a guy that relies on his power in order to win striking exchanges. In fact, power is a problem for him in a lot of ways. He is a legitimate point fighter, so why would he want to move up? If bigger fighters with longer reach (on average) are throwing with bad intentions while Thompson is carrying an extra 15 pounds, slowing him down, how does that help him?

Thompson is going to eventually go the way of Machida if his style evolves. He's going to get hit more, and he's going to get put away with strikes. If he starts committing and brawling, he's going to eventually find himself on the wrong side of a knockout loss.

8. Selukrid612 Red Belt

Selukrid612
    I thought he beat Woodley and don't think Woodley will stay champ long, so I don't think he needs to move up. Their first fight was officially a draw, so it's not like he's 0-2 anyways.

Kertol and Kung Fu bb like this.
  9. Mad Dollar Yellow Belt

Mad Dollar
    Wonderboy needs to bulk up to become a 185 otherwise he's gonna get ragdolled by any body in top 5

Kenny Powerth likes this.
  10. Kung Fu bb Black Belt

Kung Fu bb
    Weidman trains with Thompson, imo they wouldn´t bring a guy that would be too small for Weidman to train with. Smaller, yes. But much smaller? I don´t think so.

Also, Thompson said before teh 2nd Woodley fight:
    “You know, last time I was walking around at about 182 (pounds). I’m up to 190 (pounds) and I’m trying to stay about right there. I am not trying to get over that (190-pounds). It is still a dramatic cut. But, I have done it before. I have done it in the past. So I know I can do it. I am feeling stronger and I am feeling faster than ever man.”

So, he said he was trying to stay at that weight, that means he could go up a little more, let´s say 195. So he´d still be close to feeling "faster than ever".

So i don't think it would be too much weight for him to carry, or that he´d lose that much strength.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Les Vejtibals and Kenny Powerth like this.
  11. Kenny Powerth Mafioso Virtuoso

Kenny Powerth
    I heard him say in an interview that he never gets over 190-192, I think WW is perfect for him. I agree he’s not getting a TS anytime soon but I don’t think he has the frame to compete with guys like Romero.

Kung Fu bb likes this.
  12. Les Vejtibals Brown Belt

Les Vejtibals
    In either class his hair would be perfect.

Ghostoftheville and Kung Fu bb like this.
  13. souvlaki Green Belt

souvlaki
    IF Woodley stays champion then he's not close to a shot. But when Till gets the belt I think we'll get to see WB vs Till which is a dream match for me

Kung Fu bb likes this.
  14. sub_thug Red Belt

sub_thug
    Training is different than fighting. You don't try to KO people in training unless you're an asshole.

The thing is that Thompson doesn't really go for the KO in his fights. He uses kicks designed to score, control distance, and avoid damage. At 185, the power that comes back at him is the problem. Thompson is definitely suited for 170 where guys don't hit as hard, have as much reach, and where he can implement his gameplan a little easier.

P4PSHERGOAT and Ghostoftheville like this.
  15. smiles mma Green Belt

smiles mma
    For all the "bulk up" comments, shut up and find a new sport to follow.

16. Ballsack Mcgee Purple Belt

Ballsack Mcgee
    He'll be fucked once GSP wins the WW belt.

17. Kung Fu bb Black Belt

Kung Fu bb
    I know training is training, my point is that they wouldn´t bring a guy that was "too small" for Weidman to train with, it doesn´t make any sense, so if they´re training together it´s because he can compete with him, does that make sense to you?
    Also he KOed Whittaker, Ellenberger and Johny Hendricks (great chin) in his WW streak. Remember, it´s not like Gastelum and Whittaker were KOing people left and right at WW either.

18. sub_thug Red Belt

sub_thug
    Dude, MM used to train with Phil Davis when they were training at Lloyd Irvin's together. GSP brought Rashad Evans in to help him get ready for the BJ Penn II fight. That really doesn't mean much. Hell, I used to train with BW and HW alike, and I fought at LW/WW. You train with guys who do different things that you might see from an opponent. And that's why you bring in a bunch of different looks and guys to help you prepare.

The difference between Thompson and Gastelum and Whittaker is how they fight. Gastelum and Whittaker are definitely trying to KO people with every punch. They throw with bad intentions, so when guys like that move up, they get a power advantage with the extra weight. Thompson doesn't throw with bad intentions though. Yes, he finishes guys. I'm not saying that he doesn't. But he doesn't go in there looking to kick his opponent's head into the third row. He goes in there looking to ride out the decision, and if the KO happens, it happens. But he's not throwing with those bad intentions to finish guys. So he wouldn't get that same advantage by moving up in weight. Do you understand what I'm saying?

19. Kung Fu bb Black Belt

Kung Fu bb
    I do understand that. Look, we all know everybody trains with everybody in a gym. What I meant to say and you know it is that Wonderboy is one of Weidman´s main sparring partner´s, and it's for a reason, because they have a similar build and frame.

Also, you say that Wonderboy is a point fighter? That's wrong. It´s okay if you say he doesn´t have the same kind of power behind his punches like Gastelum or Whittaker, but besides his powerful kicks, he really can finish people with his punches, did you see his 1st round KO over Whittaker? Just punches. What happens is, in his last 4 fights he fought Rory (got a dominant 50-45), 2 times Woodley and Masvidal, so yeah, I´d say it´s pretty hard to finish those type of guys.

P4PSHERGOAT likes this.
  20. fortheo Gold Belt

fortheo
    No. Woodley will lose in 2018 and wonderboy will be right there.