Thursday Night Training Vid

I disagree with a lot of the advice telling you stay fighting orthodox if that’s where you feel comfortable. That would be like a left handed kid who plays his first season of baseball telling his coach he feels very awkward having to catch balls with his right hand, so he wants to catch with his left and throw with his right. No baseball coach would ever agree to that. When learning something new you have to go through those awkward phases and learn the proper fundamentals. It’s actually quite common for beginners learning combat sports to want to fight with their strong side to the front, as it feels more natural to them. But they are almost always turned around by their coach and taught the proper stance. Fighting with your strong hand as lead, you will only have one real ko punch, your left hook. If you fight south paw though your left cross will be a ko punch as well as your right hook, because a hook punch has so much leverage to it (if you put your body into it) that it can still ko people even with your weak hand. A jab has many many purposes, and none of them are to knockout your opponent. You can accomplish everything you need with jab with your weak hand. And finally, southpaws have tremendous advantages in the fight game! Why would you want to give that up? Many fighters, especially beginners, have real trouble fighting southpaws. I read something once that said left handed people are only 10% of the population but like 25% of high level fighters are left handed. Why? The advantage they have over other fighters helps them get to the top.

I promise if you throw 100 right hand jabs and hooks everyday for even just 30 days you’ll start to feel much more comfortable. P.S. I’m a southpaw.

thank you, thats exactly the kind of thing i was hoping for, i will do exactly that, throw hundres of right handed jabs and hooks till i get comfortable and i get exactly what you mean, because i landed a few straight lefts and i could TELL THE POWER Difference IMMEDIATELY. it was crazy how much difference in power and i could tell.

With all due respect (my opinion may differ from others) but I believe the weight loss should be your main priority. Posture, balance.. well overall physical conditioning is very important especially if you want to become a good fighter which I'd say is one of your goals based on your post. Without the right conditioning, your technique will probably turn half assed once fatigued and you may pick up bad habits over the course of repetition which can be daunting to fix. Just my 2 cents.

If it's just for fitness and weight loss, solid man. Glad you found martial arts to help you achieve those goals. Keep it up.

P.s im a leftie and my primary stance would be southpaw. It just feels more natural. Especially with kicks and combination set ups. Though I do sometimes switch stances to mix things up but only to get in the pocket to set up a left hook or in the middle of a combination. I'd say itll be more the footwork for a particular combo than a stance switch though.

Is this a boxing sparing class? Or kickboxing sparring? Just confused as some are kicking and some purely boxing haha. If kickboxing mix it up bit more man.

nah im getting in the cage around septemeber for Cage wars NY hopefully, im confident enough in my boxing and movement to get a couple wins while i lose weight as well. no problem doing both, i can hang.

nah im getting in the cage around septemeber for Cage wars NY hopefully, im confident enough in my boxing and movement to get a couple wins while i lose weight as well. no problem doing both, i can hang.

How do you know that you can "hang"? Have you had previous fights or did well against experienced fighters in sparring with head gear? If so is there a video of that?

Because I would also tend to agree with the previous poster to do cardio for months before entering fights. F.e. because of the excessive stress for the heart at that weight in a fight.

How do you know that you can "hang"? Have you had previous fights or did well against experienced fighters in sparring with head gear? If so is there a video of that?

Because I would also tend to agree with the previous poster to do cardio for months before entering fights. F.e. because of the excessive stress for the heart at that weight in a fight.

Solely because i been training since i was 7 years old, with the same coach, my jiu jistu is what i started with.

Me saying i can hang is from attending fights to seeing other Heavyweight amateurs around my area and not to sound cocky, i would outbox and my hands are quick for some one my size...im not saying i dont need to focus on losing weight. That is what im focusing on but im training hard and im fighting till i get to the desired weight level and elvoving and getting better a long the way.

But sure,

a few more like that too and keep in mind that video was a while ago as well.

you drop your hands alot, and your chin is up alot. If I was your coach, I would not feel comfortable sending you out for a muay thai fight. Good job quitting the coke, you were on the freeway to diabetes.

Your looking much faster and more fluid in this video the only thing I would say is, use your footwork to cut off your opponents movement. Your not really setting up your punches and kicks so try throwing feints. That's all I can say you look faster and more agile in their so your making progress.

you drop your hands alot, and your chin is up alot. If I was your coach, I would not feel comfortable sending you out for a muay thai fight. Good job quitting the coke, you were on the freeway to diabetes.

tell me about it! i recently tried a can of zuvia that joe rogan talks about a lot and its preety good but sticking to water, but do drink some juice from time to time.

im currecntly doing 16/8 fasts with a 1,500 calorie intake and im feeling great.

yeah man, its funny because the world has tried to make loosing weight so complex, but its all just gimmicks trying to sell people the easy way out.

The magical recipe to loosing weight is quite simple, its called exercise and eating healthy. your doing both, stay consistant and youll continue to loose that weight.

Im a nurse, soda is so horrible for the body yet its pushed on us by society and cheaper than a bottle of water. Im telling you, they want to sell us coke, to give us diabetes, to sell us diabetic medications.

yeah man, its funny because the world has tried to make loosing weight so complex, but its all just gimmicks trying to sell people the easy way out.

The magical recipe to loosing weight is quite simple, its called exercise and eating healthy. your doing both, stay consistant and youll continue to loose that weight.

Im a nurse, soda is so horrible for the body yet its pushed on us by society and cheaper than a bottle of water. Im telling you, they want to sell us coke, to give us diabetes, to sell us diabetic medications.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this, and even healthy food is more expensive I have to go to a fried chicken place to get a healthy burger. And I know it's healthy because it doesn't taste like its artificial.

you are not lying, i believe this 1000% the same reason why i think a cure for cancer will never exists as cancer treatment is WAAAAY to lucrative for them to want a 100% working solution for it.

you are not lying, i believe this 1000% the same reason why i think a cure for cancer will never exists as cancer treatment is WAAAAY to lucrative for them to want a 100% working solution for it.

we think the same.

we think the same.
great minds think alike.

if you are ever out this way to boston shoot me a msg would love to have you come to dragon lair share your MT Knowledge and thank you for the hands up comments!

Sometimes a little research or not writing anything is recommended if you dont know shit about a topic besides conspiracy theories. This is just nonsense. Cancer in itself is more or less a foregone conclusion in all mammals at some point and no the industry doesnt sabotage cancer research but needs supervision like everywere else.

Its not the industry thats making people fat and unhealthy it is themselves. If you dont take 5min to reserach whats healthy dont blame others. Near everyone knows nowadays whats healthy and whats not (besides americas strange obsession with "fat free" which really is unhealthy) but truth is people are just lazy to think and to exercise.

Sometimes a little research or not writing anything is recommended if you dont know shit about a topic besides conspiracy theories. This is just nonsense. Cancer in itself is more or less a foregone conclusion in all mammals at some point and no the industry doesnt sabotage cancer research but needs supervision like everywere else.

Its not the industry thats making people fat and unhealthy it is themselves. If you dont take 5min to reserach whats healthy dont blame others. Near everyone knows nowadays whats healthy and whats not (besides americas strange obsession with "fat free" which really is unhealthy) but truth is people are just lazy to think and to exercise.

if you dont think The US pushes JUNK FOOD and garbage and sugar on the population than you are just dumb, its really easy to see how much they want people to eat like shit and not eat healthy.. im not blaming any one but myself for becoming overweight.....but if you think the US and the vast amount of Fast food and junk food at every corner than you are just delusional. its not even a "conspiracy theory" its called common sense.

and if you really think they don't sabotage research and finding a cure for cancer, which is worth 148 billion by the end of this year.....and with a set cure for "cancer" that would be EAsily wiped out by more than half, again you are delusional and need to realize that the government does not give a shit about any of us....but keep thinking you live in a perfect utopia land my friend :)

great minds think alike.

if you are ever out this way to boston shoot me a msg would love to have you come to dragon lair share your MT Knowledge and thank you for the hands up comments!

definitely, likewise if your in cali dude, just hmu

On the topic regarding losing weight. I weighted 105 kg 3 years ago I am at 80 at the moment - jumping to 82 when I try to be lazy on my diet.

It is pretty freaking damn easy. Download fitnespal to educated yourself regarding your eating habits. You need to stick to it for 2-3 months. Until you realise what you do wrong and fix it. Afterwards it becomes a habit to eat healthy.

Good strenght program + some cardio. I used to strenght train 3x per week, go boxing 2 x per week and play soccer 2x per week. This is actually a huge load, but got the job done when I was going from 90 to 80.

Regarding fighting. You have the same newbie problems I have. Hands down, chin up. I have been on the path of learning how to defend be and be agressive for a long time. I am nowhere close to where I want to be, but I am progressing.

Body movement ... which means footwork, slips, ducks and etc. Distance management. These are important tools. Practice with them.
I still forget to throw the god damn hooks after I weave, but at least I am weaving now. I slip and shoulder roll sometimes. But I put all my concious to minimize the damage of my hands dropping down. In fact I tried another strategy to be more proactively guarding with them. I d play with my lead hand all the time. Nowadays I work on playing with my back hand.... try to grab something with it, works fine sometimes to pull my back hand and try to catch something or just to be up there. It gets people panicked a bit. Following up with a burst hook.

Lastly force yourself to be agressive. I mean you will eat nasty shots for sure, but the learning curve jump starts. Your body and mind start working and you are picking on habits faster lol... at least this is how it worked for me. Initially I going for the clinch and I was eating shots while I was pushing people, now my hands go left uppercut, right upper cut, left hook automatically and I have drilled that combination by myself for like 2 days and 20 mins at maximum.

Lastly drill, drill and drill.

Pick up few combinations. 2 for long range, 2 for mid range, 2 for close range.
For example long range - jab + rear low kick, jab + cross + forward low kick.
mid - cross + hook + low kick, and hook + cross + low kick
close - left uppercut + right uppercut + left hook, right uppercut, left uppercut + right hook

Drill them like a lot. So they become a second nature. Of course drill single jab, double jab, jab hook, jab cross. But do not go over these combinations. They really need to become habit. Your body needs to kick in itself when to use them. You will feel it and you will feel the progress. But god damn drill them a lot.

Because right now you seem to go after my mistake - range find with lazy bad jab and eat shots. I was doing the same shit. I thill have difficulties in long range boxing and ways to engage. But god damn fix this jab, play your combos, go basic, go agressive and drill.

Last edited:
Back