Thoughts on the Black Bottle..How much of a factor was it in Pryor/Arguello

Whats ridiculous about the whole thing was how blatant it was. Right in front of the camera.

Sort of off topic, but a lot of trainers abuse those adrenaline swabs too.

I whiff of ammonia can do it too

There used be some guy in the gym back in the day he would take a whiff of it before sparring, he was known for going heavy on guys even to a point where people refused to spar with him

Whats ridiculous about the whole thing was how blatant it was. Right in front of the camera.

Also the athletic commission didnt even take a post fight urine test...like what the hell were they thinking lol.

It takes too long to for any stimulant to be absorbed through the stomach for it to have an immediate effect (beyond something psychological). There has been talk that the special water bottle had been used in earlier rounds which would perhaps allow for the time for the stimulant to start taking effect. It almost definitely wasn't cocaine as cocaine isn't a particularly good stimulant for physical activity and it needs to be taken with an alkaline substance (as it would be rendered inactive by the stomach's acids). There are drastically better stimulants to take than cocaine for physical activity, and much better ways of taking them than ingesting them (more subtle ways that could still be done midfight). Now, I think it's entirely possible Pryor was on stimulants (I think it's entirely possible a considerable % of fighters from 1930/40/50 onwards - perhaps even earlier - until drug testing became widespread - and even afterwards - regularly used stimulants as I know for a fact their use was widespread in other sports), but if he just started drinking a water bottle with a stimulant mixed into it in round 14, then it wouldn't have time to be absorbed in order to make a difference (again, beyond a psychological boost).

Last edited:
It takes too long to for any stimulant to be absorbed through the stomach for it to have an immediate effect (beyond something psychological). There has been talk that the special water bottle had been used in earlier rounds which would perhaps allow for the time for the stimulant to start taking effect. It almost definitely wasn't cocaine as cocaine isn't a particularly good stimulant for physical activity and it needs to be taken with an alkaline substance (as it would be rendered inactive by the stomach's acids). There are drastically better stimulants to take than cocaine for physical activity, and much better ways of taking them than ingesting them (more subtle ways that could still be done midfight). Now, I think it's entirely possible Pryor was on stimulants (I think it's entirely possible a considerable % of fighters from 1950 until drug testing became widespread - and even afterwards - regularly used stimulants as I know for a fact their use was widespread in other sports), but if he just started drinking a water bottle with a stimulant mixed into it in round 14, then it wouldn't have time to be absorbed in order to make a difference (again, beyond a psychological boost).
This made me think of Mays talking about taking "pep" pills when asked about Bonds' PED use. Back then it was just normal practice and not a taboo like nowadays.

Pretending/assuming the bottle was indeed a cheater's elixer to victory, does this make the fight any less interesting to watch for any of you?

I think the story behind the mixed drink is a source of intrigue for many fans even if it stains the integrity if the competition.
It's one of my favorite fights of all time, but the ending does leave a sour taste in my mouth. But like you said, it's an amusing topic of discussion.

This made me think of Mays talking about taking "pep" pills when asked about Bonds' PED use. Back then it was just normal practice and not a taboo like nowadays.

If you're interested in hockey, I think it was maybe 2 years ago where Don Cherry was giving his thoughts between intermissions in a playoff game that had gone to OT and talked about how it used to be common for players (himself included) to take "bennys" (benzedrine) between periods in drawn out OT games. This was on a national broadcast and it caused a brief stir (before CBC tried to destroy all record of it), but the point is that it really was the norm. There are also countless stories with the 80s Oilers teams (Anderson and Messier in particular) and their stimulant use come playoff time. The magic water bottle kind of obscures the issue. Stimulant use would have been the norm, anyway.

could be smelling salts, I hear those were pretty common in the past.

i always thought it was a bit of sour grapes, i don't think it made much difference in the fight but i do think it was illegal,
probably some kind of stimulant like amphetamines, something that would give you a burst of energy. They use stuff like that in football too, truth be told, fighters have always looked for an edge and it's always been a good cornermans way to bend the rules to the point of breaking them. Sugar Ray Robinson and Ali used to drink honey water during fights for energy. But Lewis is just a piece of shit an absolute piece of shit, he seems to have been a pretty good trainer but he was a scumbag. I watched the luis resto docu with him, luis seemed like a lot of fighters, not too bright, too easily trusting and led astray and he was looking for answers from lewis. What can we say, those kinds have always been attracted to the sport.

dumb, that was right in the beginning of tv miking the corners and it took time for the trainers to adjust, joe frazier used to shove the mic away when he was cornering marvis.

i remember when i was teaching my martial arts mentor's nephew how to lift weights, one time someone slipped him some, i think it was amphetamine but it might have been something else, but whatever it was, once it took effect, this freaks' eyes were bugging out, he started asking me how to box and started hitting the bags, just going nuts, i thought it was funny as hell but they certainly do exxagerate a person's confidence, energy and aggressiveness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back