Thoughts on Rockhold at 205? I think it will be incredible

as other posters have stated, i don't think it's his size but his overall performances the past few fights that are red flags

he seems more flatfooted and slower (and a lot more open to shots) than the Rockhold of Strikeforce...age/weight cuts probably have a part in that, but as they saying goes you can't teach an old dog new tricks. (or at the very least it's rare) overall i dont see him improving his striking defense even if he moves up.

that being said 205 is wide open with Cormier's impending retirement and move up to HW. Rockhold still has the skills to be top 5 in LHW, but his success is far from a sure thing.

His chin is what the problem is. It isn't glass like everyone says but isn't great and his defence in the pocket is shit.

That fact alone makes mediocre fighters like Latifi, OSP, Blachowiz, Pedro, Gian, etc tough match ups for him.

Though the Gian Villante fight would be a good one after he test runs his body at 205 vs Bisping.

There is some backstory, thrashed his teammate Weidman. Will attempt to avenge him. Is a good fight for Luke to gauge how he is at 205.

He will not have the success at 205 that he's had at 185

Why do people always think that when a fighter gets dominated in his division moving up or down will always solve the issue? Yes, in some cases its worked, but in the majority of cases it hasn't... Rockhold has a glass chin, moving to a division that hits harder wont help him... He was already faster then probably everyone in his current division, and if that speed didint help him dominate, i doubt it will in 205.....

Rockhold blows

Thoroughly unimpressed by most of his ufc performances

He's done if he gets touched at lhw

You were unimpressed with his performance against Machida and Weidman? Gtfo. Rockhold is exciting and a cool guy. You are just a sour Weidman fan.

Rockhold vs OSP sounds like a good scrap

I just kept thinking he would get murdered over and over till THIS !!

OSP is a great fight for him .. especially entry to LHW .. to be honest its a great fight for OSP as well after the choke out from Latiffi

Sexy ass ko faces coming to the lhw div.

But seriously, I hope he cock blocks the whole division.

Weight isn't Rockhold's issue, he has glaring flaws that have gotten him in trouble and he's done nothing to fix them and that's why he has several of horrible knock out losses.

I think Rumble should come out of retirement and welcome Luke to 205lbs.

Have you seen Rumble lately ? He looks 250+, no chance he comes back at LHW.

uhhh he gonna get ktfo just like in middleweight, this time in a heavier, funnier fashion?

Luke can lie to himself all he wants and blame everything on the weight cut, but the fact remains his defensive striking sucks and he has a glass chin.

It can potentially be a good move for him and I would be interested to see it.

His lack of head movement and footwork will make his move up to LHW a beautiful thing indeed, TS.

Rockhold blows

Thoroughly unimpressed by most of his ufc performances

He's done if he gets touched at lhw
I can't stomach him but he has some of the best BJJ next to Damian Mai

Would love to see him scrap with somebody fresh like Tyson Pedro. I think Tyson would lace him up but am happy to be proven wrong. Hard to gauge where he sits among 205ers until we have seen him a few times. I worry he is too flat footed (as somebody else mentioned) even at the bigger weight. Sure, he has elite GnP but his chin is suspect and that can't all be due to weight.

It's going to happen.

He's a decent sized MW but is gonna get dwarfed and over powered by the LHWs.

Want to see him fight Latifi to get thungs started.
He wants Gus, probably to leap frog the division, but Latifi would probably be an easier matchup. Still a hard matchup, though. We joke about LHW but guys like Gus and Latifi are no joke.

You were unimpressed with his performance against Machida and Weidman? Gtfo. Rockhold is exciting and a cool guy. You are just a sour Weidman fan.

Not a Weidman fan by the way... I just think that if anybody touches his face he's unconscious... He plays too much trying not to get hit... And is almost never the aggressor on the feet

Back