Thoughts on my newest recording (update)

CrimsonFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Listen to Moonlight (Tide) by Marcus Hearn #np on #SoundCloud

Last edited:
I don’t really like the style at all. But kids these days love the whole minimalist, one guy and his guitar approach, so I could very well see you being successful with the right marketing. That said, we’re you the one who posted a video of yourself absolutely shredding the fuck out of the guitar a while back? If so, you’re pretty awesome.

I don’t really like the style at all. But kids these days love the whole minimalist, one guy and his guitar approach, so I could very well see you being successful with the right marketing. That said, we’re you the one who posted a video of yourself absolutely shredding the fuck out of the guitar a while back? If so, you’re pretty awesome.
Fair enough. Yeah that sounds like me. Theres an acoustic solo at the end of this song, i guess you didnt make it that far :p

It' good.. keep it d up

Fair enough. Yeah that sounds like me. Theres an acoustic solo at the end of this song, i guess you didnt make it that far :p

Sorry, I just couldn’t do it.

Did you just Bill Burr me with the “fair enough”?

Sorry, I just couldn’t do it.

Did you just Bill Burr me with the “fair enough”?
Lol, im not mad about it. Everyone likes different shit :)

I dont even really listen to much music im so tired of it all.

Lol, im not mad about it. Everyone likes different shit :)

I dont even really listen to much music im so tired of it all.

No, I know. I was jus wondering if “fair enough” was a Bill Burr reference. I know how it is. I used to play in a band. I knew it wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea and really didn’t care if anyone liked it. I just liked doing it.

Worked on this all morning at my buddies home studio. Critique appreciated

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-681316300/marcus-hearn-moonlight-tide
Hey man, sounds like you have talent on guitar. As far as an engineering/producing perspective, here are a few of my critiques/advice.

1. Not sure how the guitar was recorded but I might suggest a condeser on the hole and like a 57 pointing a little more up on the neck and pan them to create a bigger stereo field that will also sound almost like two different takes.
2.The processing on your vocals takes me out of the song. I would either turn them down alot or remove them. You probably sound better than you think. I would also lower the backround vocals to give it more of a indie sound, the vocals sound too big IMO. I would suggest A/B ing a mumford and sons song or something similar to see what their engineer did that worked for them.

Other than that not bad. Not a fan of the genre but Im an audio engineer too so i record crap all the time. Keep it up.

EDIT: If it was recorded in pro tools, Id be willing to re mix it for you if you have the session files.

Hey man, sounds like you have talent on guitar. As far as an engineering/producing perspective, here are a few of my critiques/advice.

1. Not sure how the guitar was recorded but I might suggest a condeser on the hole and like a 57 pointing a little more up on the neck and pan them to create a bigger stereo field that will also sound almost like two different takes.
2.The processing on your vocals takes me out of the song. I would either turn them down alot or remove them. You probably sound better than you think. I would also lower the backround vocals to give it more of a indie sound, the vocals sound too big IMO. I would suggest A/B ing a mumford and sons song or something similar to see what their engineer did that worked for them.

Other than that not bad. Not a fan of the genre but Im an audio engineer too so i record crap all the time. Keep it up.

EDIT: If it was recorded in pro tools, Id be willing to re mix it for you if you have the session files.
Yeah my friend did all the mixing, im not big on the vocal effects either. This is exactly the type of critique i was looking for

That would be awesome

Yeah my friend did all the mixing, im not big on the vocal effects either. This is exactly the type of critique i was looking for

That would be awesome
Ask your buddy if he could send you the audio files and throw it on drop box, im sure I could come up with something for you. Even better if it was done in pro tools, just ask for the whole session

Well hopefully i can get the kinks out. I really dont like the tone on the guitar either. I left mine at the bar i play at alot and used my friends which had really old strings.

H

I was about to post something similar. The processing on the vocals is pretty bad.

Not bad at all...keep it up...but it's a little too slow and simple with the lyrics for my taste...and I know absolutely nothing about recording, but your voice sounds weird, I think that's throwing it off...

Not bad at all...keep it up...but it's a little too slow and simple with the lyrics for my taste...and I know absolutely nothing about recording, but your voice sounds weird, I think that's throwing it off...
Yeah too much effects and i let the guy recording convince me to overdub the vocals. Feedback helps. Thanks dudes

Well i guess this is the final product. Sounds better than it did. Still im dissapointed in the result. Oh well

Back