This is why we have weight classes

Lombard is different.

He's had a lot of success at MW and success a LHW.

The problem with Lombard is he's getting old. He's relied on pure, freakish athleticism all his career to win. Not technique or game plans.

And he was putting a beating on Henderson until Hendo pulled that elbow out from magic hat. Plus I thought he beat Big Rig. You shouldn't get points for defending TDs which is really all Johnny did.

Hendo is also a smaller MW who just so happened to have a hail mary nuclear bomb for a right hand to fall back on.

I love GSP all im saying is dont be surprised if Bisping stuffs his TDd, wears him out and TKOs him once hes exhausted. 4 years away from the sport doesnt help either

Hendo is also a smaller MW who just so happened to have a hail mary nuclear bomb for a right hand to fall back on.

I love GSP all im saying is dont be surprised if Bisping stuffs his TDd, wears him out and TKOs him once hes exhausted. 4 years away from the sport doesnt help either
Hendo was a small LHW. Normal MW (205-215) imo.

I can see GSP having trouble keeping Bisping on the ground (that's actually where Bisping excells at: not staying on the ground. Only Kennedy ever planted him on his back and kept him there for the entire fight) but I don't see GSP having any problems taking him down. GSP is probably the best wrestler he's ever fought and throughout his career he's always been TD by above average wrestlers. Truth is most of Bisping's fight history is filled with other strikers.

Not making excuses here, Cowboy made the choice to jump in the shark tank that is 170, but hes been getting beat by guys that have considerable size and power on him. He doesnt deal with pressure well either and thats not the most ideal combination.

This is also why I think Bisping/GSP is an idiotic fight and Bisping will run through him
You made some very valid points on Cowboy, ones that I happen to agree with honestly.

However, you are sleeping on GSP, and I think that is a mistake. First off, I personally do not believe GSP comes back unless he feels very confident in the matchup presented. Secondly, GSP double leg and top control is second to none, anyone that thinks Bisdink isn't going to end up on his back, and be held there is mistaken, regardless of TDD. He got wrecked by a 46yo Hendo, who by that time was as one dimensional of a fighter as you will find. Bisdink was taken down, and held there by Mayhem for Christ's sake, and you don't think the king of top control is not going to be able to take the fight there? I have no problems with people believing Bisdink wins the fight, and there are valid reasons for believing that as well. However, believing he runs through GSP is simply not grounded in reality.

Last response was before I saw this. Again, very valid points, especially the time off, and your analysis on wearing him down is definitely a real possibility, especially since we have never seen cardio be a Bisdink weakness. But, I still stand by my previous, running through him is simply not going to happen on any planet.

i seriously think cerrones problem is he just fights way too much which has caused him to lose sight of the big picture.. thats why he says he dont care about the gatekeeper title. my guess is he figures if he loses he will just fight again next month and that would be a horrible mentality for a ufc fighter. just my opinion

No, this one fight is not why we have weight classes. No one fight is.

We have weight classes to create a general separation between fighters of different sizes. And to allow for more champions.

This fight isn't even a good example of a big size difference. They even listed Cowboy as taller than Till.

Yeah dude that was not that much of a size difference.
You just trying to make excuses for someone who's not even making excuses.

And considering all the other factors contributing to his defeat size had nothing to do with it dude.
In fact I'll make a bunch of more valid excuses.

1 Cowboy is a slow starter
2 he's battle damaged.
3 he's even more damaged from accident that left his guts hanging out.
4 he doesn't exactly have the healthiest lifestyle.
5 his opponent might have just been the better man on that night. Or just maybe is the better fighter on any night.
6 the US anti-doping Association and yes Cowboy does have a failed steroid test. Although I do not care about that I think it should be Pride Style.
7 being in a completely different time zone can definitely affect somebody.

i thought a Jan Blagovich (sp?) fight was a better example of this thread than the Cerrone v Till fight. it looked like a MW v LHW in there.

Cerrone is a 175lb guy tired of cutting to 155 is now fighting 200lb guys cutting to 170. yes i made those numbers up, but the concept is legit. and he got outmuscled in the only two grappling exchanges. OTOH he got outmuscled by Bendo too.

Till whooping him had more to do with skillsets than size. the size factor sure didn't help though.

OneFC did a good job fixing extreme weight cutting, but they didn't have to deal with 20 individual Athletic Commissions to do so. UFC could fix this. it would be difficult and highly political, but it's doable. i doubt they will.

I dunno if this fight is a good example of that. although till is clearly bigger.

cerrone always gets shredded by people with better boxing

Not making excuses here, Cowboy made the choice to jump in the shark tank that is 170, but hes been getting beat by guys that have considerable size and power on him. He doesnt deal with pressure well either and thats not the most ideal combination.

This is also why I think Bisping/GSP is an idiotic fight and Bisping will run through him

Till and Cerrone looked like they were from different weight classes, come fight time lol...so ridiculous, IMHO.

GSP has the wrestling to *potentially* give Bisping problems though. Cerrone had no such out when the standup clearly was going Till's way. Till stopped the TD attempt and then had zero respect for Cerrone's striking...game over.

the size difference reminded me of Bendo-Koreshkov.

I was actually talking about from the side since we've seen the comparison during their multiple face offs during the promotional trip.
Fair. I haven't paid attention to the build ups in a while. I just turn on the fights and try to stay as unbiased as I can.

That would be a pay cut for Freddie Roach.

He probably makes more than every employee/trainer/coach at Jackson's gym combined.
Very true. He is an amazing trainer. Shogun developed a nasty hook and GSP a good jab. There are more. It seems like everyone who spends time with him gets their moneys worth.

"I'm a LHW fighting WW's".

Yeah, Till sure is "the best fighter in the world". Definitely why he needs to fight much smaller fighters.

Fuck the extreme weight cutting cowards.

Let's not make a point of showing that Donald has never faired well against guys his own size either..

This dude had to be close to 200 pounds. I wish the UFC would just disclose actual weights on fight night, so we wouldn't have to speculate.

This dude had to be close to 200 pounds. I wish the UFC would just disclose actual weights on fight night, so we wouldn't have to speculate.
I think it would discredit and devalue a lot of fights and fighters. Doubt either UFC or the fighters want that information released.

I think it would also bring more attention to weight discrepancies which would put more pressure on commissions.

Back