"They say the UFC has peaked. They are morons !" - Dana White

I really don't know what you all mean by peaked? I still watch UFC fights like I did from day 1 when different fighting starz ruled the day. If by peak you mean less casuals are coming around and less interest in the sport, then it's not peaking fast enough for me. Funny in the early days of mma/Sherdog this place was like an exclusive club for those in the know about mma, now this place is filled with more man fans than fight fans...

Oh god....here we go again. STFU and enjoy the fights, crybabies.

The UFC is not even close to peaking yet.

(1) Fighting requires a lot of athleticism, but the current batch of UFC fighters are not the best athletes the world has to offer.

The average story of a current UFC fighter is "I was a fuck up who loved to fight, and when the UFC started getting famous, I started fighting for money."

These are essentially bar brawlers turned athletes.

(2) MMA doesn't have come-up programs like the major sports, where children start very young in youth leagues and school leagues, and the process of selecting the best potential begins at a very young stage, by the time athletes reach the pro-stage, they are probably the best in that respective sport.

For example, it is rare to a find kid who likes to play hockey on his driveway, and later starts playing in some rec league and gets picked up by an NHL team. You have to go through the system.

(3) Most UFC fighters cannot execute the techniques they drill in the gym. They look good hitting pads, shadow boxing and etc, but in a fight, they are very tentative and unable to execute.

Other professional athletes are able to execute the techniques that they practice.

Also, most UFC fighters are still not able to function at their best for the entire duration of the fight. They are not condition to go 3 or 5 rounds.

In comparison, Lionel Messi can play 90 minutes + extra time of football at a high level. He is conditioned to play his sport, because he has been playing it from the time he knew how to walk.

Conclusion, MMA has a long way to go. The UFC needs to invest money (1) Establishing a come-up system from school-age to professional (2) Invest in research for better training practices (3) Invest in current fighters to allow them to be professional athletes, and not part time fighters.

I don't agree. The fights would become too robotic and stale due to too high level. Every fight would look like a flyweight fight.

Athletes are not necessarily fighters. You can't train heart and you can't train chin.

Besides that, the UFC has almost continuously had stars, with each generation of stars being a bigger draw than the stars from 5+ years ago. I don't often agree with the bald one, but I would be very surprised if the UFC didn't grow over the next 10 years.

The UFC now has competition in Bellator in a way they did not have before. An organization which is steadily getting more top 10 ranked fighters and most likely won't be bought by the new UFC owners. In that way UFC has peaked. They are not exclusively having the best fighters anymore.

The UFC has DEFINITELY peaked if they don't turn this ship around somehow.

With the Reebok and USADA deals, combined with a very bad attitude and mediocre pay, we now see fighters either jumping ship or retiring in their athletic primes. We haven't seen top ranked guys WILLINGLY jumping ship from the UFC since back before it exploded in 2005.

In the fight game, you used to have to literally retire fighters because they were notorious for fighting way past their primes. Now every week you hear about top-ranked fighters saying "Oh I'm probably going to retire soon." Amanda Nunes, Joanna, CHAMPIONS are saying they will probably retire soon. Thats when you know things are bad.

The world wide expansion thing has quieted down a great deal.

Plenty of lost jobs and cut backs throughout the company.

I don't know the business as well as Dana does, but I do sense that they are in an awkward spot right now. Changes to the production, the business model, and perhaps match making seem to be on the way. I don't know if the UFC 5 years from now will be anything like the UFC from 5 years ago. It might be better, or it might be worse. As a fan I can't help but be concerned that the UFC might become something much less likable for me in an effort to increase profits.

Look at all the stacked/spectacular cards we've had recently... UFC 189, 193, 194, 195, 196, 198, 199, 200, 202, 204, 205, 206, 207. And that's only PPVs.

UFC is dying. According to Sherdog it has been dying since 2000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back