The X-Pass

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The X-pass in BJJ is really just an advanced version of the toreando ("bull fighter") pass, but like most innovations on existing techniques in jiu jitsu, it works against a much more educated range of competitor. We'll take a look at what has now become the "classic" X-pass, then take a quick look at a simple variation that works extremely well against reverse De La Riva guard (RDLR) and other types of hooks. The name "X-pass" comes from the crisscross motion you're making with your arms (and with your partner's legs in relation to their upper body positioning).

https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/How-to-Do-an-X-Pass-in-BJJ

We drilled this a couple weeks ago. I was struggling a bit with it (we were doing it from their DLR). Will check out your link to see if there's some stuff I was missing/forgetting to do

We drilled this a couple weeks ago. I was struggling a bit with it (we were doing it from their DLR). Will check out your link to see if there's some stuff I was missing/forgetting to do
I really like it from RDLR guard. Let me know if everything makes sense once you get a chance to look, though.

I had trouble hearing the detail you were stressing in the first video. Something like avoiding the guard-player from crossing his ankles. This is very relevant to me since ankle-crossing often thwarts my x-pass.

One thing that I think helps get the x-pass going is the ability to shoot a knee right through your partner's guard and into his sternum. You can go right to a knee slide from here (not unlike what Gerbil posted recently in this forum), or just keep the knee in the sternum and make your partner's life miserable. In any case, your partner often becomes so conscious of your shooting the knee throught that it opens up other options off the x-pass.

I had trouble hearing the detail you were stressing in the first video. Something like avoiding the guard-player from crossing his ankles. This is very relevant to me since ankle-crossing often thwarts my x-pass.

One thing that I think helps get the x-pass going is the ability to shoot a knee right through your partner's guard and into his sternum. You can go right to a knee slide from here (not unlike what Gerbil posted recently in this forum), or just keep the knee in the sternum and make your partner's life miserable. In any case, your partner often becomes so conscious of your shooting the knee throught that it opens up other options off the x-pass.
Sorry if the audio was rough! Here is a better explanation of the situation you're describing (the feet crossed in particular):

https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/Passing-Revese-De-La-Riva-Guard-A-BJJ-Tutorial

Check out all of the options too, if you ever struggle with this pass. I spent several years refining this approach, and it's a go-to pass for me now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back