The world gets destroyed one more time in new disaster movie Geostorm

G

Guestx

Looks like Day After Tomorrow II.

I will definitely go see this movie in the theater, but with trepidation. It looks like a CGI bonanza.

I'm a sucker for this type of big budget disaster flicks. I'm in.

I will go check it out but one thing I mentioned in my recent thread on disaster movies was that I think they work better when they're on a smaller scale.

I think my top two disaster films are Twister and Dante's Peak. In these films, instead of destroying the whole earth or entire nations, it's a single town or a county that's at risk. And I think that works better as a whole, and it also seems to tend to lead to more practical effects being used and less of an absolute reliance on CGI.

BTW, on that note of smaller scale disaster films, did you see Into the Storm from a few years ago?

I'm not afraid of a Geo storm
1992-geo-storm-6.jpg

That's because you're not having to contend with this bad bitch:

F145440421
<mma4>

I had one for awhile and it was like a roller skate. Lotus helped design the platform. The Lotus Elan M100, Isuzu Impulse, and Geo Storm were all the same platform and parts swapped.
It felt like driving an oversized go kart and it got 35mpg. I had the GSI version so the red line started at 8500 and you were always revving the shit out of it to get moving. It wasn't the fastest in the world but it was a blast to drive. I'd love to find one again, but they're all really rusted.

<mma4>

I had one for awhile and it was like a roller skate. Lotus helped design the platform. The Lotus Elan M100, Isuzu Impulse, and Geo Storm were all the same platform and parts swapped.
It felt like driving an oversized go kart and it got 35mpg. I had the GSI version so the red line started at 8500 and you were always revving the shit out of it to get moving. It wasn't the fastest in the world but it was a blast to drive. I'd love to find one again, but they're all really rusted.

A friend of mine had one and he had a friend who was really into Storms. His friend's Storm had a turbo on it. He said it was fun to drive.

Looks like Day After Tomorrow II.

I will definitely go see this movie in the theater, but with trepidation. It looks like a CGI bonanza.

'Geostorm'

It sounds like some piece of shit on Syfy.

But it looks like a big studio pic. Got Abbie Cornish in it. She's a cutie petutie:

Abbie-Cornish-17.jpg

Can't wait for it on dvd.

I was just thinking to myself, when is Hollywood finally going to make a big budget film about a cataclysmic disaster that destroys the Earth? When? Finally, someone there did it.

I'm not afraid of a Geo storm
1992-geo-storm-6.jpg
What's a geo storm? A car full of wanksters who pull up on you while you and your girl are eating a cheeseburger on the McD patio and swarm you then steal your girl?

Same i like them, also this is just not a disaster movie it seems, its also sci fi (weather control tech) which i also like, also makes it ironic since the movie technology should have avoided the very disaster

I think the original Independence Day was the last large-scale disaster film I enjoyed. Nothing else has even come close.

A friend of mine had one and he had a friend who was really into Storms. His friend's Storm had a turbo on it. He said it was fun to drive.
They weren't even close to a sports car, I would put them in the same class as a Miata. They were a drivers car if you know what I mean.

Same i like them, also this is just not a disaster movie it seems, its also sci fi (weather control tech) which i also like, also makes it ironic since the movie technology should have avoided the very disaster

Yeah, it's an interesting premise. If people actually could control the weather, what happens when the wrong person gets control of that technology?

I think the original Independence Day was the last large-scale disaster film I enjoyed. Nothing else has even come close.

I'd agree, though I put alien disaster movies in it's own subcategory that is separate from natural disaster movies.

Back