Television THE WHEEL OF TIME (Premieres Nov. 19, 2021)

Well, I think one of the issues with Jordan as a writer, and this is a big part of why the books are so long, is that he chased threads just for the sake of chasing them. The Seanchan exist as a plot device (at least initially for sure), but also in a place where they are essentially akin to an ongoing thought experiment of some kind. He just sort of continuously unfurls them as the series goes along, and their role as a plot device becomes marginalized and, in the end, basically a cul-de-sac. He spent a million years describing them in detail, and all the horrors of their made up civilization, and then it ends up parked in neutral- partly because he died, but also partly because I don't think he ever planned to actually do anything with them in the larger resolution of the theme. The main protagonist of the story is fighting someone/something called the Dark One.... and yet the horrid slave empire is not actually contained therein; they are off to the side. The Dark One is defeated, but the Seanchan get to chill down the street. Some people might call that "interesting", but I call it lousy and borderline creepo sexist.
So then I start watching, and I know that out there in this fantasy world is an empire that exists in which the magic women are subjugated in pretty profoundly intense ways. Turned into something worse than an object and, in the books, there is essentially no hope or even instance of that being resolved in any way other than total despair. They spend the whole series kidnapping people and turning them into object and then that's just how it is for them forever, broken down into mental and physical mush. There are a few escapes, but that is radically far outside the implications for the extended universe. Take the character of Ryma, for example; she's a very minor character in the books, but still ends up a broken slave that just gets to be a broken minded slave for the rest of her miserable life, which goes on into the foggy future beyond what Jordan wrote. It has troubling connotations when it happens again and again and again throughout an entire fictitious world and the author never deals with it concretely. And of course he did die, but... still. When I got the the part of the show where
Ryma gets captured
I was like oh come on now, this is getting nasty. You're threatening to put too much icing on the despair cake. I don't think that character comes up in the finale, or at least my eyes missed her in the hubub perhaps, so I suppose the fate is left unfortunately uncertain still. However, they did at least give us the satisfaction of resolving that situation in a way that dealt with the Seanchan from a sort of narrative philosophical perspective, punctuated with concrete results. None of this "Dragon's peace treaty" type stuff (and of course that would be way later, but still I think you see my point). I plan to continue watching if they actually deal with the Seanchan like the villains they are.

That seems to be a problem with many writers. We saw it in the Game of Thrones where characters and plot lines seem to be developing then just kind of fade away. They can't figure out what to do with them so they either abandon them or in GRRM's case, just kill them off.

I've seen different writers talking about how they develop a story. Some come up with an ending first and write a story to get to that ending. Some create an outline for the story and fill that in. Others have a story in mind but no formal outline. Then there are authors who just start writing without any real story and it comes to them as they write.

Season 2 wasn't terrible an much better than first . Still moves too slow for me . I would have done Wheel of Time via movies rather than series. Series will never last long enough to tell entire story. Might not make season 3 even

I love the books but thank god Brandon Sanderson brought it home. It would've probably took a healthy Jordan 12 more books to finish.

I stopped watching after 3-4 episodes of season 1. Is the series faithful to the series when it comes to the Seanchan? A black royal family built on the back of enslaved women channelers?

<{yearp}>
They haven't dealt with them in any other capacity than the particular invasion fleet around Falme, so we haven't met the Queen, etc. It's implied, though I doubt the show writers go so far as to make it an explicitly racial empire as well. It's already bad enough. The series is mostly faithful to the Seanchan conceptually, but the plot points and actions do a much better job of having the characters actually deal with them so far. I wasn't sure that was going to happen at first, but the finale added some much needed punctuation marks.

They haven't dealt with them in any other capacity than the particular invasion fleet around Falme, so we haven't met the Queen, etc. It's implied, though I doubt the show writers go so far as to make it an explicitly racial empire as well. It's already bad enough. The series is mostly faithful to the Seanchan conceptually, but the plot points and actions do a much better job of having the characters actually deal with them so far. I wasn't sure that was going to happen at first, but the finale added some much needed punctuation marks.
hold the fuck on.

HAVE WE NEVER HAD THIS CONVO!? BUD!!?? are we nerd book Eskimo brothers!?

this should come as no surprise to either of us, amigo
WoT isn’t niche in the fantasy world, but it’s also not well known to normal folks. I’m always shocked when I meet someone who read the series.

we’ll add it to the donut docket. I’ve read the series a handful of times and a bunch of my friends have as well. One of my favorites

WoT isn’t niche in the fantasy world, but it’s also not well known to normal folks. I’m always shocked when I meet someone who read the series.

we’ll add it to the donut docket. I’ve read the series a handful of times and a bunch of my friends have as well. One of my favorites
oh I have a LOT to say given how the show has played out

Season 2 wasn't terrible an much better than first . Still moves too slow for me . I would have done Wheel of Time via movies rather than series. Series will never last long enough to tell entire story. Might not make season 3 even

Season three is already in production. Prime Video announced it in July.

They are making 8 episodes a season averaging around an hour each. A movie is usually 2 to 3 hours long. We've had about 16 hours of the series in two years. Movies might come out every year but many are 2 or 3 years. Star wars was 3 years. At 3 year intervals, it would take 15 years to get the same amount of time with 3 hour movies. The Star Wars movies were around 2 hours each so it would take 24 years to produce 16 hours of content.

Back