The Weight Cutting Thread

The Passion said:
What do you guys consider an easier/better transition... cutting weight (including muscle mass) and competing in a lower weight category or building muscle mass and competing in a higher weight class. Do you think there is more of a psychological advantage from being smaller but knowing you're fighting smaller guys, or getting bigger and fighting bigger guys but feeling stronger yourself? Or is it all just personal decision? I'm right between to weight classes and trying to figure out which way to go. Thanks

Down.

Just my opinion, but weight and height seem to be linked somewhat, so the lower you go, the shorter the guys you'll be fighting (generally speaking).
I just found out last week that the boxing comission we're fighting under has actual weight classes, and the catch weight of 165 is out the window, and the max is 168. If I had known that before, I would have shot for they 160 weight class. Apparently the guy I'm fighting is 5'10 and about 185 walk around, where as I'm 5'9 and walk around about 175ish.

The last fight was 160-65 and the dude was only 5'7. That was great!.

Yeah, good point; although you gotta watch out for the upper cut from the short guys.

Mods should sticky this thread. It's better than the other weight cutting thread.

you mean my strict diet of ice cream sandwiches & deep-dish pizza is wrong?

j/k- I like this thread- Ive learned stuff from it. Im trying to shed a little wieght & this info will help thanks

Ok.. I think I want to finally add to this..

I've been thinking about it for a while..

First off you say.. cut back water a few days before.. IMO it is quite the opposite..

3 - 4 days prior you will want to INCREASE your intake to close to 2 gallons.. This sets your body to want to urinate more.. 2 days prior to weight in.. cut down to half of that.. 1> Gallon.. Day before weigh-in.. TAKE NO WATER.. No type of sodium and this process itself will help you shed about 4 - 5 lbs..

Another thing about the Laxatives.. This should be done before doing diuretics, since diuretics have a higher percentage of performance loss.. With NATURAL (very very important, since you don't want to feel like shit) take it the NIGHT before weigh-ins.. This should take about 6 - 8 hours to take effect.. When you wake up.. you should blow your colon.. and lose a few more lbs.. Be sure you are cutting your food intake like the initial post says.. (Just a note.. the type of Lax the original post reports is Dietary Fiber, where as I am refeering to Lubricants / Emollient. Other types are Stool Softeners and Osmotics)

If you must take Diuretics.. take what the original post includes.. Do not try anything else, since Dand. Root is very gentle on the stomach..

And when filling yourself back up.. DON'T EAT A LOT AT ONCE.. I did this my first time, and got sick as all shit.. body just refused it and I had the shits.. HARD CORE..

Bump.

Great thread! I need to cut 5lbs by Saturday morning for a PL comp. I'm going to cut out carbs and see if it helps. I'm just worried about losing strength due to a natalie portman-esque diet.

*clicks heels together*

Okay, so I've read Berardi's book and the posts here, but I'm still confused. For those weighing in right before a match, what do I do the day before? Because in Berardi's book, it says drink very little water the day before weigh in. Do I drink very little the day before as well as very little the day of until after the first weigh in? Fruits/vegetables/protein shakes all have significant amounts of water in them...so what would I eat the day before if I'm tryin to keep water intake to a minimum? Also, can anybody define very little water? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm four weeks out and need to drop from 142 to 134. Do I need to start dieting now, or is it okay to wait a couple more weeks? Weigh-in is just before stepping on the mats, so water-cutting is out of the question for me.

After answering numerous threads on quick weight cutting, I've decided to create an uber-thread combining all of our collective knowledge on cutting for competition. Without further ado...

Step 1 Follow Berardi's 7 habits! Especially in season. They are as follows:

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.

Habit 8 is drink lots and lots of water. If you're already dehydrated, how are you going to cut any water weight? Sticking to the 7 habits all through the season(year round for fighters) will take care of 80% of most people's cutting problems.

Step 2
As competition nears, caloric restriction is necessary. A calorie IS NOT a calorie, but you can't stuff yourself with 4000 calories and expect to drop 20 pounds in a month. Calorie amounts do vary for different people, so find what works for you. You should be dropping roughly 2 pounds per week in fat if you're dieting properly. Remember to keep hydrated, and increase your water intake as you reduce calories, both to combat hunger and to keep healthy. You should of course be doing cardio to speed your weight loss. Remember to take your multivitamin and fish oil.

Step 3
The week before a competition (two if you have a lot of weight to lose) is the time drop the carbs, which will speed up fat loss and give you a nice drop in water weight as well. This is not Atkins, so don't try gobbling bacon, sausage, cream, etc. Your caloric intake should consist of vegetables, lean proteins, and some healthy fats such as fish/flax oil. Increase water intake further, try to get above two gallons a day. Add extra cardio. Long distance cardio on an elliptical or bike is a good choice as it is good on the knees.

Step 4
3 days out from the competition, switch to distilled water and drink only as much as you you're thirsty for, some where just south of one gallon. Further reduce your food intake by cutting down to 3, possibly 4 meals a day of fibrous veggies and extra lean protein such as egg whites, chicken, and fish. Now is the time to add a fiber supplement such as benefiber, (a natural laxative) and dandelion root (a gentle diuretic). Keep up with the fish oil and a multi, as it will be needed. Continue with cardio.

Step 5
The day of the weigh in. Drink very little water, only as much as you absolutely need Depending on whether you are within 3 pounds of your target weight, either keep your food the same, or further reduce caloric intake by lowering your protein. Eat only 2-3 meals this day, mostly veggies, a hard boiled egg or two, and a little chicken, and take your vitamins. Eat your last meal and drink your last water at least 12 hours before the weigh-ins. You should be within 2 pounds of your target weight at this time. If you are not, this is the time to sweat it out. Cut arm holes in a trash bag, put on some sweats and do low intensity cardio like riding an exercise bike. The sauna is another option if one is available.

*CAUTION- if have to sweat excess water out, you've fucked up somewhere along the way. This is okay once, maybe twice, because cutting weight is a learning experience and rarely exact, but making a habit of sweating water weight the night before a competition is unacceptable. The drastic dehydration measures taken by many not only lead to health issues and possibly death, they kill the very performance you're looking to achieve. Not to mention it can really mess up your metabolism and leave you a fat bastard like so many wrestling coaches. So don't do it. Follow the above steps and there will be no need for severe dehydration.

Step 6
After the weigh-ins. Sip a recovery drink such as Accelerade, Pedialyte, Surge, etc. immediately afterwards. If you're not competing for a while, have a well balanced meal of protein, fruit, complex carbs, and some healthy fats. Don't eat too much, because you can get gassy. Eat normal, non aggravating foods and lots of slow release carbs; eat foods like apples, bread, nuts and turkey. Now is not the time for Mom's chili or leftover spaghetti. Eat small healthy meals, every 2 hours until competition, and drink plenty of fluids. Sports dinks are a good product for rehydrating at this time, so drink up!

Step 7
DON'T BINGE! You've made your weight, now stay within ten pounds of it throughout the rest of the season, 15-20 if you're a fighter. Follow the 7 habits, lose fat the right way and you should slide easily into your weight class in the future. Remember, fat loss =good. Water loss+starving yourself=bad.

Feel free to add to this as you see fit.

very helpful info thanks

I'm four weeks out and need to drop from 142 to 134. Do I need to start dieting now, or is it okay to wait a couple more weeks? Weigh-in is just before stepping on the mats, so water-cutting is out of the question for me.

Better start now. I'm cutting for a weigh in right before the match also (I'm 140, need to get to 136), and losing about 2lbs a week is what is generally accepted as healthy weight loss. Better to get going now instead of stressing and scrambling last minute.

Never did that, but I used to walk in my sleep while dreaming I was at practice. There's nothing quite like waking up under your coffee table. I only did it during wrestling season.

Did you guys ever have that dream where you're drinking a big glass of water and then you wake up, but you're not sure if it was a dream or not and you can't get back to sleep until you've stepped on the scale and proved that you didn't actually drink anything?

Good times!

. And when filling yourself back up.. DON'T EAT A LOT AT ONCE.. I did this my first time, and got sick as all shit.. body just refused it and I had the shits.. HARD CORE..
EA brings up a great point, so I thought I'd share my immediate post workout meal with you guys.

1 small bottle gatorade, sipped not gulped over a long period of time
1 whole wheat bagel
2 tablespoons peanut butter(I use Skippy natural, but whatever)
a little honey on the peanut butter bagel
a banana

zots of good carbs and some fat for energy, just enough protein, and peanut butter and bananas are constipating so you won't spend the rest of the day in the bathroom.

just like to show some appreciation for the posters in this thread
I followed evrything and was freaking out because my weight was going up but 2 days out and only 4 pounds to go -last night it was 12 to go
thank you

I'm fighting in the golden gloves tomorrow night, and i have been following everything you guys said here and i'm right under my weight class, the on question i have to ask is that i'm pretty much fighting right after my weighin, maybe and hour or two after, now i know to sip accerlade,(because i dont know where i could get pedialyte) but i also dont want to get to full or be energy depleted, what is the best meal for my situation, and do u think pedialyte is the best drink to have after i weighin because if u do let me know where to find it please thank alot!

Step 1 Follow Berardi's 7 habits! Especially in season. They are as follows:

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a few quick questions if no one minds.

Would a protein shake count as a complete lean protein?

What exactly is a whole food?

Healthy fats are nuts,olive oil and the like?

Other carbs would be simple carbs?

Thank you in advance. I am trying to get from 310 pounds and around 30% BF. I am not in a hurry so I should be able to do it right. I would like to weigh around 250 or so.

Thanks for the thread guys. I realize that this is a VERY old thread but if any of the initial starters is still wandering around here I'd like some suggestions on my situation.

I'm 25 years old, 5'8'', 155 lbs.

I have a grappling tournament in 20 days, and I need to be 140 lbs for the event. Weigh ins are the day before at night.

I;m sticking to the diet that you guys have here, but I still haven't been able to weigh lover thatn 150 lbs. Any thoughts? When should I do the sauna if I have to do it? The very same day?

Hopefully somebody will privide me with some helpful tips.

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
This Island Earth
Back