The Unofficial Bodyweight Training Thread.

Ahh, Simon long time no C! Thanks for clearing it up also!

I tried some plyometric pushups today and I have two questions:

1) I could only get my hands maybe 1" off the ground. Is it even worth attempting with such little height?

2) I didn't really feel it in my chest like I do other pushup variations, it was mostly in my triceps. Is this normal or is something wrong with my technique?

Thanks.

1) I could only get my hands maybe 1" off the ground. Is it even worth attempting with such little height?

What are you doing them for? It might be worth your time, it might not be.

2) I didn't really feel it in my chest like I do other pushup variations, it was mostly in my triceps. Is this normal or is something wrong with my technique?

That's fine and dandy.

Thanks.

Answers in bold.

Answers in bold.

I surf and I'd like to improve my ability to quickly pull myself to catch waves and power through incoming waves to get past the breakers. I think I saw somewhere that doing plyo pushups will help you gain upper body "explosiveness." I'd like to have more than just strength.

I surf and I'd like to improve my ability to quickly pull myself to catch waves and power through incoming waves to get past the breakers. I think I saw somewhere that doing plyo pushups will help you gain upper body "explosiveness." I'd like to have more than just strength.

It depends. Where are your strength levels ( whaddya bench?), and how's your bodyfat? If one of those is holding your power back, then you might be better served fixing that instead of doing plyo pushups. If those are good, then I'd plyo pushup away.

It depends. Where are your strength levels ( whaddya bench?), and how's your bodyfat? If one of those is holding your power back, then you might be better served fixing that instead of doing plyo pushups. If those are good, then I'd plyo pushup away.

I have no idea what I bench. I haven't been to a gym since I was 17 (I'm 34 now). Body fat is very low. I'm 6'3" about 170. I've always been very thin. I've only been doing pushups and chin/pull ups regularly for about 5 months. I figured I could maybe switch to plyo pushups since I'm been doing regular ones anyway. I guess I was looking at a two-for-one option. I'd try plyo pullups but I have a door frame bar and I don't want to bust my ass falling on the floor.

[YT]yOdq5W2gh7E[/YT]

Try this one .. pretty awesome

Last edited:
I have no idea what I bench. I haven't been to a gym since I was 17 (I'm 34 now). Body fat is very low. I'm 6'3" about 170. I've always been very thin. I've only been doing pushups and chin/pull ups regularly for about 5 months. I figured I could maybe switch to plyo pushups since I'm been doing regular ones anyway. I guess I was looking at a two-for-one option. I'd try plyo pullups but I have a door frame bar and I don't want to bust my ass falling on the floor.

Personally, I would say that you could probably do with focusing on getting stronger. You can load up a backpack to do weighted push-ups and pull-ups, or perform movements from a more disadvantaged position (such as decline push-ups, or push-ups through an extended ROM).

But, hey. If you enjoy the exercise and just want to spice up your training, knock yourself out. It's always fun to practice and get better at new things.

Now after a few weeks I can say that packing the shoulders helps to reduce swinging, although there is still some small amount.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Personally, I would say that you could probably do with focusing on getting stronger. You can load up a backpack to do weighted push-ups and pull-ups, or perform movements from a more disadvantaged position (such as decline push-ups, or push-ups through an extended ROM).

But, hey. If you enjoy the exercise and just want to spice up your training, knock yourself out. It's always fun to practice and get better at new things.

Thanks. Maybe I'll just continue with the progressions for now and throw in the plyometric stuff occasionally.

I'm currently only doing bodyweight exercises, should I being doing weighted push-ups and pull-ups? What's bad about only doing high reps and sets with bodyweight?

I'm currently only doing bodyweight exercises, should I being doing weighted push-ups and pull-ups? What's bad about only doing high reps and sets with bodyweight?

Hi dude,
Im assuming you are training for strength?
Just because you are training with bodyweight exercises doesn't mean you have to stick to the standard push ups and pull ups etc for high reps. Whats bad about training with high reps? Well high reps aren't going to be as effective for building raw strength and explosivness compared to low reps, this is why powerlifters and olympic weightlifters train in the lower rep ranges for example.

In terms of bodyweight training, Stick with variations that keep you in the 5 to 10 rep range to start with, maybe 3 to 8 for harder variations.

Here are some ideas for you.

[YT]e_PblnhedqY[/YT]

[YT]Rkau_qa3xNI[/YT]

[YT]mIcgsiiv6ME[/YT]

[YT]T31CtYhMq80[/YT]

^^^ thanks for the input, I'm just not sure what to do right now in terms of building muscle. I currently practice muay thai and my coach tells me not to build too much muscle, it will only get in the way and will make me heavier, putting me at a height disadvantage. I consider myself heavy for my height already, currently 175ish at 5"10. I'm only 16 so I don't really have that much muscle either.

Anyone have any good suggestion for posterior chain and lower back movements?

I find that these are the groups that are the hardest to train without heavy weights.

Anyone have any good suggestion for posterior chain and lower back movements?

I find that these are the groups that are the hardest to train without heavy weights.

Hyperextensions on parallel bars, or on a bench/box with a partner holding your legs down.

Back Levers and front levers variations hit the lower back and core more than you might think.

Skin the cat to back lever leg raises are nice too. Very tough, I still find these very challenging.

Ab wheel rollouts standing with strict technique is one of the most awesome lower back and core builders there are, getting back up without going into lordosis requires and builds a very strong core, front and back. In all honesty, standing rollouts make up most of my direct core training now.

Isnt ab wheels mpre of an anti extension (abs) though?

I know the back gets worked but im looking for more of an anti flexion movement.

Im thinking about trying reverse leg raises which works that.

its basicly a headstand reverse hyper.

Last edited:
ng
^^^ thanks for the input, I'm just not sure what to do right now in terms of building muscle. I currently practice muay thai and my coach tells me not to build too much muscle, it will only get in the way and will make me heavier, putting me at a height disadvantage. I consider myself heavy for my height already, currently 175ish at 5"10. I'm only 16 so I don't really have that much muscle either.

i train exclusively without free weights
here is a routine i use for developing my strength

7 sets of

-dips
-pullups

i do a set of dip instantly followed by a set of pullups
then rest for 30 secs to 1 minute then repeat

Hi guys cool thread. I was hoping someone could help me put a bw workout together. Im travelling around the world in a month or so and want a bw circuit to build strength. Ive had an athletic background involving years of martial arts. Im around 182 lbs at 6,2.

Currently im doing:

Normal pushups/wide grip/close grip, pull ups, pistol squats and sit ups. Can anyone help me with building a solid program that covers the main muscle groups and will build strength.

any help is much appreciated.

Hi guys cool thread. I was hoping someone could help me put a bw workout together. Im travelling around the world in a month or so and want a bw circuit to build strength. Ive had an athletic background involving years of martial arts. Im around 182 lbs at 6,2.

Currently im doing:

Normal pushups/wide grip/close grip, pull ups, pistol squats and sit ups. Can anyone help me with building a solid program that covers the main muscle groups and will build strength.

any help is much appreciated.

Listen to what you're asking. You want a "bodyweight circuit for strength". How much do you expect to increase strength using a bodyweight circuit, honestly?

Listen to what you're asking. You want a "bodyweight circuit for strength". How much do you expect to increase strength using a bodyweight circuit, honestly?

You don't believe it takes a certain level of strength to do a 1 handed pushup/pull up? Im not tryimg to become kk here.

Back