The UFC missed a great opportunity....

garbohydrates

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Why didn't they make a new 165 lbs division for Gaethje Poirier 2? That way Burns, Colby, Islam etc.... Could all fight in one division. They could have even made the BMF belt the official one for said division. Wasted opportunity

Forreal. I know they could get this done over night. Athletic commissions, pathetic shmamission

170 division is a historic division for the UFC, and they would never change that for a division 5 pounds south of it.

If you can make 165, you can make 170.

Even if they had a 165 division you'd still have guys cutting down from 200lbs to get there.

Last edited:
Never gonna happen

D2x19UGXQAUhBMl

For me, the most blatant loss of opportunity was not making Mcgregor/Masvidal. Conor was back after the Cowboy fight, and Masvidal was riding his 20sec of fame.

It would've made big numbers
There’s the part where Dana/UFC knew Conor would get his ass kicked. Dana said it flat out. If that’s not a good enough reason. How about the part where Conor WOULD NOT accept that fight, at that time if offered? He wanted Diego Fucking Sanchez.. Remember?

There is no missed opportunity if there literally isn’t an opportunity to miss.

“'That pisses me off that you said he's too big for me,'” White said McGregor told him. “I've said it a million times, and I'll say it again: This guy will fight anybody, and I don't care if he's pissed off about it or not. I think that Masvidal is too big for Conor.

Dana shut that down while still allowing Conor to look like he actually wanted the fight. Yet Conor released DMs where he flat out says he wants Sanchez.

Get real.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...r-mad-dana-white-said-jorge-masvidal-too-big#

I’ve been lobbying g for a super heavyweight women’s division for years, Charlie. Who doesn’t want to see a couple of hogs slinging blubber for 25 minutes? Winner gets a coupon for a bucket of chicken and gallon of Barq’s root beer. We can’t always get what we want, squire.

There’s the part where Dana/UFC knew Conor would get his ass kicked. Dana said it flat out. If that’s not a good enough reason. How about the part where Conor WOULD NOT accept that fight, at that time if offered? He wanted Diego Fucking Sanchez.. Remember?

There is no missed opportunity if there literally isn’t an opportunity to miss.

Dana shut that down while still allowing Conor to look like he actually wanted the fight. Yet Conor released DMs where he flat out says he wants Sanchez.

Get real.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019...r-mad-dana-white-said-jorge-masvidal-too-big#
Once again, eat your cereals and drink your Kool-Aid. You sound like a bitter old woman in every single post.

I'm sure the UFC could've enticed Conor with a huge paycheck. It was rather that it was Covid, and that they wanted to keep Conor for live events.

If it was purely a matchup issue, then we would've seen him against someone else during that time, which we haven't

170 division is a historic division for the UFC, and they would never change that for a division 5 pounds south of it.

If you can make 165, you can make 170.

Even if they had a 165 division you'd still have guys cutting down from 200lbs to get there.

Yes the 5 pount different is stupid. The only way it even makes sense is you have to put Welterweight 175lbs and name 165 Super Lightweight. Not that I am for that.

Already answered

https://bloodyelbow.com/2019/03/28/ufc-dana-white-165-pound-division-aint-happening-here-mma-news/

“Not in the next seven years, that I promise,” White said (transcript by MMA Mania). “I’m here for seven more years, when I go they can make a 180, 165, 122, whatever they wanna do when I’m gone, they can do. It ain’t happening while I’m here. What’s the appeal in it?”

“A lot of guys who know they can’t win at either 170 or 155 that would all jump ship,” White explained. “If you look at our 170 and 155 divisions, they’re stacked. You’ve got Usman, Woodley, Covington, Wonderboy, RDA, Masvidal, Askren, Till, Ponzinibbio, Lawler, Edwards. That’s 170. Lightweights at 155, you got Khabib, Conor, Tony, Poirier, Iaquinta, Kevin Lee who’s moving over to welterweight to make it even better, Edson Barboza, Gaethje, Pettis now is over in the welterweight division which makes it even better. Cerrone, Felder, Gillespie, Diaz.”

“You build a 165-pound division, you completely drain both of those divisions,” he continued. “It ain’t happening while I’m here. These divisions are stacked; we’ve got tons of great fights in both divisions.

“We don’t need a 165-pound division.”​

I'm was never too big on them making a 165 division, but I'd much rather that than having to deal with BMF belt again.
Is it really that hard to "deal" with the BMF belt? I think I can just pretty much ignore it, and enjoy a 5 round war between Dustin and Justin.

If the UFC did make a 165lb division, I don't think Gaethje would be one of the guys moving up there. He really doesn't cut much to make 155, he'd be pretty undersized at 165 and there wouldn't be any advantage at all for him to move up there and fight WW's cutting down from 190+.

Is it really that hard to "deal" with the BMF belt? I think I can just pretty much ignore it, and enjoy a 5 round war between Dustin and Justin.

If the UFC did make a 165lb division, I don't think Gaethje would be one of the guys moving up there. He really doesn't cut much to make 155, he'd be pretty undersized at 165 and there wouldn't be any advantage at all for him to move up there and fight WW's cutting down from 190+.
I'm not big on either of those things, but the BMF is just stupid to deal with as a fan.

The whole thing just makes no sense, like how is it vacant when Jorge lost multiple fights in a row against Usman right after winning the BMF title? Wouldn't that mean Leon is the current BMF? Another one is why is this fight being held at lightweight, but the original BMF bout three years ago was at welterweight? All of it just doesn't make any sense and has no structure along with just being a silly gimmick.
It's unnecessary to add this BS title and it makes it kinda hard to take the sport seriously when they just slap it on to an already great fight.

For 165, it just seems weird to add a division only five pounds away from welterweight.
I feel like their will be even more jumping up and down divisions if they did this.

Yes the 5 pount different is stupid. The only way it even makes sense is you have to put Welterweight 175lbs and name 165 Super Lightweight. Not that I am for that.

Exactly sir, and like I said the 170 belt is historic in the UFC, and would never get rid of it for no reason.

Back