The UFC Cut The 1 Guy That Could Stop Maia...

I don't even think George wants anything to do with Maia on the ground, if they ever fight, we may actually see GSP stand and trade for once!
Naw he would take him down and not give him any space.

Jake beat Maia 3 years ago by split decision, big deal. .

This is why you are completely misguided - it is in fact A VERY BIG DEAL to beat Maia, let alone in a grappling battle. Stop and consider how Maia is summarily crushing welterweights.

By dismissing how difficult it is to beat Maia, you are casting aspersions upon Jake Shields. This is the makings of a ding-dong thought process.

Jake didn't accidentally tap the previous champion in Lawler, and beat both the current champion Woodley and #1 contender Maia. This is why he has the second most impressive resume, behind GSP, in the history of the division.

What you actually mean to say (read: would make sense and be true) is that you don't prefer grappling fighters who win by decision. That is just a personal preference. Learn to distinguish your personal preference for the actual value of measurable achievement - winning.

^all your fussing about Shields beating Maia, he got whooped on by Hector Lombard and was promptly cut from the UFC his very next fight. Well conversely Nate Marquardt took Maia out in 9 seconds (granted this was at Middleweight, but same goes for your Shields-Lawler comparison which wasn't even at Welterweight)

nobody said it was an accident when Shields tapped Lawler, give that a rest. I'm saying, of course winning is important, but fair or not at times there's such an emphasis on winning impressively or being entertaining. Do you really think Shields was impressive vs Woodley?

Shucks even Dana White didn't think Shields won the fight vs Woodley. And that's what I mean, it's not "my personal preference", Shields won the fight vs Woodley. As he did vs Maia (I am not dismissing these wins, both happened and are reflected in both fighters win-loss record). But aside from wins, it's not like they were all time great performances

Again if you can distinguish Shields submitting Lawler at Middleweight ... why are you making such a big deal about these 2 decisions victories? Yes the opponents were better (Maia & Woodley) but in both cases these were close fights, so how is that exactly an attack on him?

Shields beat Woodley and Demian Maia by split decision. That's a fact.

Grappling fighters isn't the criteria I'm using, it's method of victory/how impressive was the performance. so method = split decision leaves us with how impressive was the performance?

Rory wasn't cut, he chose to leave. UFC pay is garbage

lmao Woodley, Hendricks, Wonderboy and Lawler would knock his head into the fuckin parking lot.
Condit's tdd is horrendous and he paid for it.

I don't understand the disrespect for Shields. He has beaten four of the UFC's current top five WWs... four of five, including the current and previous champ.

Oh, and he beat the guy who is about to challenge for the MW title.

Maia should force strikers to elevate their game.

Rory has beaten Maia. I think he still would, styles make fights

Maia did quite well in the first round against Rory, even got full mount once or twice but then hard gassed. I don't know how Maia's gas tank is these days but not to long ago it was really piss poor.

It's a fight that I wouldn't mind see'ing again, though I'll enjoy watching Maia fight anyone.

Maia win that fight imo. It was very close tho. What Rory did to Maia was more impressive

To be honest I don't think Shields would stand much of a chance in a rematch at this point.

There are many guys that can stop Maia. I don't think he can overcome Woodley's power in the first round, I think he would lose by KO. He has a very good shot at beating Wonderboy though.

I can beat Maia. easy.

hold my beer.

Back